Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What are the most important features...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What are the most important features... Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  9:19:25 PM  Show Profile
...to look for in a sewing machine?

I've talked with an instructor and am seriously considering taking sewing lessons. The shop she works out of sells a multitude of different machines in a wide range of prices, and after a five minute walk-through of their offers, I felt like a deer caught in the headlights. I just am CLUELESS as to what I really need in a machine. I don't have to buy it from them, of course, but I still need to buy one. Basically, I'd like to be able to repair my husband's workclothes (heavy duty), make clothes for myself and my husband and son, and try making household decor items like curtains, tablecoverings, and maybe even furniture covers. The shop will "show" me how to use a machine if I buy it from them, but they said if I buy elsewhere I've got to learn how to operate it myself before I come in for lessons. <Sigh> I'm overwhelmed. I haven't used a sewing machine since junior high school, and am clueless as to how to even thread a machine anymore! And I've been watching the Pennysaver and online to find a decent machine second hand, but part of me thinks it might be best just to invest in a new one. So, please, tell me what the most important features are that I should be looking for???

To be totally honest, I'm really good at self-teaching - just give me a book and I'll figure it out. I'm not even sure I need lessons... If anyone could recommend a good "teach yourself" book, I would really appreciate that, too!

I really, really want to do this, so you have NO idea what your input means! Thanks in advance for your insight and advice! I appreciate it SO much!

- Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  04:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Nini, i would not feel obligated to buy a maching from them "just' for lessons. Honestly, you can learn with a book and also try YouTUbe, I bet you can find tons of videos there.I am still using the basic brother maching i bought almost 25 years ago. it goes forwards, backwards and does zig-zag! That's it! i have made clothes,quilts, curtains, pillow covers, dolls, toys and tons more and have never felt that i needed anything else. You can change out the needle and threads in the machine to match the fabric you are sewing so that's not an issue. and i believe the simpler the machine, the easier to maintain. (Which for me is to brush out the bits every few months and have hubby oil it) i wonder where you are in PA? I would love to come and sit with you and help get you started. if you do buy a used one, i would suggest you have the seller actualy use it in front of you. Or, sometimes the private owned sewing maching stores have reconditioned used ones that people trade in. That might be a way to go too. Good luck!

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  04:45:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I just thought of something. A scene in one of my favorite movies "Fiddler on the Roof" One of the young men married to a daughter is a tailor and the "new' sewing maching arrives in the village. Love, love that scene when everyone comes to see "the new addition"

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  05:02:42 AM  Show Profile
Nini~ I have to agree with Angie - there are so many videos and blogs out there to self - teach. My DD has only been sewing for the past month and it is unbelievable what she can do - all from learning on the net. The ability to thread and place the bobbin easily are important to me - I hate to be messing around with that everytime I need to change m thread. I just want it to be easy 1-2-3!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  09:17:55 AM  Show Profile
Nini, if you've used a machine in the past, it will come back to you. Sewing is a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle. If you can see how the pieces fit, the rest is "just a doing". Your confidence and skills will improve.

Don't be influenced by the number of fancy stitches a machine will do. In over forty years of sewing, I haven't used them.

A zigzag is essential. If you have a choice, go for a free arm.
My machine is a thirty year old Singer bought new, and I have an older one from a flea market as a backup.

Try spreading the word and posting on bulletin boards, especially in places where seniors frequent. There may be some perfectly good older machines not used anymore.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  3:41:47 PM  Show Profile
I bouht my machine used over 20 years ago. It does the basics and that has always been enough to do all the sewing I ever needed. Go for a simple basic machine. Forward. Backward. Zig zag. Practice on simple things like pillows, napkins or even tote bags until you get comfy with it. Don't let the sales people talk you into something big and fancy to start. Once you get going, you can go for the fancy later. =)

I recently bartered for an embroidery machine..... so the different machines are definitely out there if you look! =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  5:40:36 PM  Show Profile
If you plan to make clothes and buy a used machine, make sure it will make a good button hole. There are older models that will make a 4 step button hole which aren't bad. But I hated making button holes with the old style button hole attachment that was on my Moms machine. Definately need a zig zag stitch and of course forward and backward. Also - if you buy a Singer you must use singer needles as they are shorter than the standard needle and it will hit the bobbin case (at least in the older models that I had).

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  6:04:55 PM  Show Profile
Personally I felt the "shops" classes were too expensive and just a trick/way of getting people to buy from them.

I would also buy used, I'm looking for a old home economics school machine like a bernina or a elna for myself, I figure if they can handle middle school children's abuse they can handle me! lol

And then I would find a small fabric store to take lessons from instead of the sewing machine store. We have a GREAT small owned fabric store here that does wonderful classes, and when you take a class from them if it's for garments (which is what they do) they customize the pattern to you! And you can come in all the time for free help. I went in earlier in the week for help on a jacket. And I just spent the day there working on a night gown today. Most the extras she gave me free from her stash as we went along on the night gown and did adjustments not in the pattern. BTW, I bought the pattern from some one else not her! And she just is so helpful and nice to help me out. I have taken class from her and plan on taking many more (as my budget allows) if money was no object I would be taking every class she offers!

One great thing about her shop as well as she has a lot of machines set up-mainly the old tried and true heavy duty ones from schools, and you can use them while you are there if you are trying to figure out what machine you want. OTHER wise you bring in any machine from home you want and she will help you learn to use it! And she doesn't sell machines! I mean well if you have one you want to sell you can use her shop to sell it in, but she's not in the selling machine business.

I wish more people had this in their towns.

You may also want to check the county extension office, I personally have not taken classes from them, but they also offer you bring in your machine, and they teach for 10 dollars a class. Also ours is having a sew in next month that is 10 dollars, and they are giving food, and projects, and help during that time and it's from 4 pm till 12am! (so for what 8 hours-only a little over a dollar a hour to get help) I think I will go to it and see how it is. I'm not sure how good they are, but worth a shot I think.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  08:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Look for one with as heavy duty motor as you can find. My old 1980's 22-stitch Kenmore can power through heavy denim and upholstery fabric with only a minor grunt or two.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  09:22:06 AM  Show Profile
You all are the best! Thank you so much!

I will find a machine with just the basic stitches, for sure. And that settles it: I'll surf the web for online instructions, and try to find a good book that teaches all the basics. I've taught myself how to do so much already, I'm sure I can do this, too!!!

I wasn't sure whether I really needed a heavy duty machine or not, but I've been looking at a heavy duty Singer machine... It's got all the basics - nothing super fancy, no big frills, pops or whistles - and it can really plow through denim, which is mostly what my husband wears for work. I'm going out to Sears this week to check out the Kenmores, too, because I know that they're built to last. I've been watching the Pennysaver, checked out Craigslist and have been looking at yardsales, but I'm thinking maybe just buying a new one is what I'll do. It's just so hard choosing when you really don't know what you really, really need in a machine. You all have helped clarify so much!

Thanks so much for helping remove a lot of the guesswork for me - I can't begin to tell you how you've helped!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 10 2011 09:22:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  5:45:01 PM  Show Profile
If you still think you want to save money and buying a used one, again find a small owned fabric shop and they may just have a machine some one is wanting to get rid or at the very least will help you find what you want. I know my local store is helping me do that as well. Plus like I said what I liked was using the machines there at the shop (she has a few different ones, she has bought a lot of used ones over time to put in the shop for the classes she teaches and the "sew ins" she hosts) and that way I was able to find out what I like and don't like.

For instance when I took her class on tee shirts I really liked the bernina she had me use, but the bernina (a different year/model) I used during the sew in yesterday was a lot harder for me to figure out, still a great machine, but a few extra bells and whistles, knobs and what not that I just don't feel at this time like learning! lol I want the basic one she had me use for the tee shirt! lol So I know now!

BTW, for at home right now I have a brother that was less then 100 dollars. It's doing ok till I find the elna or bernina I want! But, I'm not in love with it and really we fight a lot! (me and the machine! lol haha) I can tell you starting off with a good machine I think would make a huge difference in liking sewing or not! If I thought the machine I have now is how ALL machines were I think I would just throw in the towel right now! lol haha

I can't wait to find the machine I'm looking for! hahaha

BTW, also try freecycle, if nothing else it was free, and you can at least test drive it. I did get a FREE one from freecycle when I tried to get a elna or bernina from there, but it's neither it's a HOME. Which I have heard is good. It's heavy as all get out so must be all metal or nearly all metal. But, it's FILTHY! I am going to take it to that small fabric shop ask her about it (see what she thinks of it) if she thinks it's in good enough condition and what I may like then I will pay for her or who ever to clean it properly and make sure it's in working order (no repairs needed) and try it out as well. Would be a good back up if nothing else since it's free, and HEAVY! I like heavy! I hate my plastic brother! haha

Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  10:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I have a few suggestions for your sewing supplies. Get a pair of dressmaker's shears, and hide them. They are not to be used by anyone else, and only for cutting fabric. It is a capital offense in my house to touch my shears.

If you are going to sew on denim, keep a stock of machine needles designed for different weights of fabric.

Do not buy those cheap spools of thread in a basket. It's equal to putting bad gas in your car.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  11:25:18 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the great suggestions and ideas, Heather!

Oh! I'm so glad you mentioned that, Rosemary! No matter WHAT tools I buy for myself OR for what purpose, my guys always search them out and destroy them... I'll definitely keep that in mind! Thank you for the tips! Awesome!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  11:43:12 AM  Show Profile
I think that a machine that has very easy to use tension is a godsend. Like Rosemary said, the buttonholer must also be easy to use. Like riding a bicycle, you never forget how to use a sewing machine. I have a 1950's Featherweight that is wonderful, a Kenmore that I purchased in the 80's and my newest addition, a Viking. The Viking is very fussy (it's electronic) and doesn't have that strength that we used to get in the old mechanical machines. I think tension is the most important thing though. Used is good.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Jul 11 2011 11:44:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  6:26:50 PM  Show Profile
i agree with Betty, tension and buttonhole are important. When we moved 6 years ago i gave my beloved machine away fearing it would break in the container shipping our goods as i didnt have a heavy duty case for it. I so cried the past 5 years as i bought and inherited 3 different machines... hating them all! Get a good middle of the road machine, do not just pick up the cheapest. I think that Brother makes some wonderful heavy duty machines now that i find on sale for about 399 $. Hubby bought me my dream machine this last fall (more than my first car) and i adore it. (of course if i had just bought the heavy duty case for the old machine i got when i was 17... it would have been so much cheaper, lol!)

Save your money for a class that concentrates on a particular technique you wish to learn or maybe a fun quilt along group class!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  6:59:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh I wish that you were closer to me. I am looking at three machines that all are power houses, that is I have physical ownership of these. fewer people are sewing nowdays, making it almost a mystical learning trial instead of a creative expression. My first sewing machine was a treadle Singer that my grandpa gave me the two dollars to buy from the neighbor selling it at his rummage sale two doors down. He had seen me use the one at their house to make Barbie clothes and when I asked my parents to give me the money, my dad was not going to do it... Grandpa gets his wallet, tells me to go pay for it, I'll right behind you girl, and then proceeds to give his son the most sever tongue lashing that I was happy to not be privy to.. momma filled me in later and I thought I was done for.. The person that taught me to really sew on that machine was my dad. In our home my dad was the quilt maker, nothing fancy, just using our out grown clothes and making squares and sewing them to a back. He also sewed new uphoulstry for our furniture 3 different times. The bones of the furniture was sturdy and great, the sewing was to update the look. I was always proud to tell my friends that my dad had done this. Your take on Kenmores used to be correct.... I'm not so confident in their products now... I would look for a used machine on Craigslist.. in the paper and do your research before hand... between consumer reseach and those that sew you should have at least two good recommendations to guide you. Oh that old Kenmore that my dad used for all his sewing and my mothers making of pj's for seven kids and his slipcovers and pillows and quilts is actually still going strong. and it has never been to the shop. But again that one is 35 years old
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  10:03:02 PM  Show Profile
I had a pair of Gingher (sp) scissors I loved, but a friend of mine dropped them and warped them. I am not in a situation to replace them (another 60 dollars). Plus the handles aren't that comfy.

I was talking to my shop keeper I keep praising in this thread, and she showed me her's. They were KAI or KIA (can't remember I'm dyslexic lol sorry!). I had just by chance read raving reviews for them on patternreview.com (a great site for beginners like us!) but she had just sold her last pair of the size I wanted (she had three other sizes though). So I am pre-ordering from her. She's owned her shop for 30 years now (she bought it from another lady who was retiring-so the shop is actually older then that), she said she had been using the same pair at the counter since she opened till just a few weeks ago, when they finally just were beyond continuing to sharpen, etc. She said she believes they have kept her from getting carpal tunnel syndrom.

They have a rubber like handle (feel a like silicone like), and are angled (which she says will help you make a straight line when cutting instead of choppy), and she said they were areodynamic (sorry another word I don't know how to spell). Any way she let me use them on Saturday and I am in love.

And best thing about them, she has been selling them in her shop for only 25 dollars for the 8 inch ones! (that's the standard large size ones). She said she doesn't know what she will have to charge for the new shipment of them though cause they come from Japan-she doesn't know what this last natural disaster has done to the prices of them yet. But, compared to Gingher's prices that's like awesome! I do keep my gingher's in a metal box though that they came in. I will probably take them out and put them away some where till I can pay for them to be repaired or what ever, but I don't know I am loving this new brand she introduced me to. Personally if they are even up to 60 I may try to find a way to buy this brand she sells. Like I said I have heard rave reviews on patternreview about them and then with using them on Saturday I'm pretty sure this is the brand I want now. So just a little stuff I just learned this week myself! haha

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  2:30:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information, Heather! Looks like I'm going to need some new sewing-only scissors real soon! I finally bit the bullet and purchased a machine! YAY! I bought a simple, heavy duty Singer machine with the basic stitches - no frills or anything (at least I don't THINK it has frills - LOL!). I'm waiting until next weekend when my guys are at the Pirates' games before I open the box and get started. Just LOOKING at the box is intimidating to me! LOL! But I'll be going through old clothing this week and seeing what I can recycle... I think I'm just going to play around to figure out the stitches, and then use old clothes to make a simple square quilt out of recycled materials as my first project! My DH goes through denim pants like water for his job. He usually saves them to hand-mend new patches onto other jeans. I'm thinking if he has enough, maybe I'll use denim squares to quilt together some placemats or something! I wish I could just dive right in and sew myself a dress or skirt or blouse, but I want to get a feel for the machine first! I'm SO excited! :)

Thanks again for all your advice and suggestions, girls! If there's anything else you think I should know, PLEASE do share!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  2:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh - and Inge! I loved your story! I wish we ALL could live closer! What an amazing community it would be! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  4:00:25 PM  Show Profile
I would personally dive right in and try a skirt. A skirt is extremely easy and I think you can do it. I did it all by myself and I'm extremely new to this sewing stuff! lol The skirt so far has been the easiest thing for me. lol haha It was only my second thing I made on my own completely with out any outside help from friends or family.

The great thing about a skirt is it only took probably a total of 3 hours from start to finish. (however, I had to spread that out between days maybe a week, because of my children, and being pregnant with out much energy, etc etc) But, a quilt takes a lot more time. I think you would get the reward of a finished product much faster with a skirt then a quilt. Also denim is one of those really heavy harder fabrics to learn to sew with especially on a newer home machine that's not heavy duty. So personally I think from my experience as a newbie too a skirt would be perfect.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jul 15 2011 4:02:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  4:08:47 PM  Show Profile
Here's just a few ideas:

If you're going to be repairing heavier fabrics like your hubby's work clothes - then you'll need a machine with some power. So look for a machine with as many amps as you can get. More amps = more power and it'll easily handle heavier fabrics. My old Kenmore (circa 1965) has more than twice the amps as my 'new' Kenmore and works and sews like a dream - both on heavy fabrics as well as fabrics like calico, broadcloth, etc. I'm a big fan of the older, heavier machines that are good and heavy and were built to last. Ebay and Craig's List are good sources for old machines.........but beware that you are buying something you've never tried. And I HIGHLY recommend trying one out. Local thrift stores and garage sales are also good sources. Most are okay if you want to plug it in and give it a spin. Even if you find a gem but it's missing the manual there are many good sources on the net that offers manuals for just about any machine - both old AND new. And parts? Also not a problem.

That said, though, you can probably find what you're looking for in a new model. Bernina, Pfaff and Baby Lock are all good machines and have models that don't have all the bells and whistles but can do the basics just as good as their Cadillac counterparts. And I'm with other women on here - if you don't really dig the embroidered, fancy stitches on RTW (ready to wear) clothing - chances are you won't even use the fancier stitches on any model.

A free arm is also a good idea beings you'll be making garments for your family. They're good for tight little spaces like sleeves and tubed pieces.

And here's a selling point for me that I LOVE on my machine: Self threading needle! If your eyesight isn't what it used to be and you don't like the idea of bending down with squinted eyes to thread your needle - you'll love this feature.

I believe most models - both old and new - have zig zag stitches. I personally use the zig zag stitch only to stitch over a small cord when I need a quick way to gather something. Otherwise, that's it. But you might use it a lot.

I also agree with the other ladies here on the sewing lessons this store is trying to 'sell' you on. Virtually everything they can teach is can be found on YouTube or you can simple figure it out on your own from the almighty instruction manual.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you what ya get!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  6:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Holy Moley Nini! I am so glad you asked your question, because I am in the same fix. I have an inexpensive machine and have not used it yet. I can do a lot of things, but sewing is like climbing Mt. Everest. I have read what others have suggested to you and taking the suggestions for myself. I will follow eagerly what others have to say. Thanks everybody!!!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  7:25:03 PM  Show Profile
That is exactly why I wanted a older machine Karen. I think I found one on Craig's List. The man is a retired engineer and will let you come and try it out. I am going tomorrow to try out one he has on CL right now, that he has refurbished. It's 1.3 amps! And is all metal. I think it should do just about anything! lol He also said though that it has a lot of stitches, I'm not sure what that means though. lol

I have to say though, I use zig zag stitch a TON! I find it a great stitch. And love to use it. It's a really good stitch if you want to do knits on a regular machine with out a serger. So far so good for me. And like you said across the board I think zig zag seems to be a standard stitch on all machines I have came across.

BTW, I am only paying 70 dollars for the machine and cabinet tomorrow if I decide to buy. He would sell me the machine with out cabinet for only 55 but for 15 dollars more I think I will take the cabinet as well, as it's solid wood and looks in wonderful condition. I have a built in PC desk in my apartment, but none of us have a desk top any more so I use it for my sewing. However, I eventually plan on having a few machines. (still looking for a 930 bernina or a older elna, there's also another bernina that HAS to have a cabinet due to the undercarriage of the bobbin) So having a extra cabinet that is solid wood and is in good condition (won't have to sand, refinish, paint, etc) will be good for the extra 15 dollars. As a lot of the machines I find out there in the class I want, either don't come with a cabinet or if they do it's in awful shape and would need more work then I have time to put in for now, so I would have a cabinet that I wouldn't have to work on and could put the machine straight into if need be.

Claudia like I said, find a local store. I am not sure where Deer Park is exactly, however, I know the lady here where I live that I keep singing the praises of goes to WA to do classes often. Mainly bra making classes (She fits the bra to you, it's specially designed for you! And she teaches you how to make your own), any way, she is coming up to WA very soon, seems like next week or something. I can't remember where in WA she said she was going though. Some where big though-one of the larger cities. Also she says she has a friend there that owns a shop (I am thinking this friend probably is the one inviting her up for teaching some of these workshops) that she says she trusts as a teacher explicity and really recommends any one in the area to go to her. If you want me to ask her where this friend is exactly located and if I heard right (ok see I was there last Saturday for a sew-in, and a lady came in and said she heard that Anne taught bra making classes, and her dd needed a bra badly as she was really big, first she wanted a really big band, but then Anne figured out DD was really small band but big cup, any way, come to find out DD lives in WA, and so Anne asked if she lived near this other woman who she thought would be best to have that woman fit the DD ect, but no the DD didn't live near there, but the DD is visiting next month, so Anne is going to fit her and every thing herself. So I only was overhearing all this about the friend in WA. lol) But, any way, if you are interested I could ask, of you could go to Anne's blog and ask her as well if she has any recommendations for some one around your area. Anne is very cool and a wonderful teacher, I would trust her with any one she referred!

And not to step on any toes or anything, but I was talking to Anne about the machines I've been finding on Craig's List (she is the one who reffered me to CL to look for a older machine) and she's been helping me pick and choose, any way, in my area is a TON of Singers. She told me she would not own most of them. Only a few models were really good and there was some really bad ones. I personally know my grandmother had a horrible one that was nothing but in the shop. It was a early 1980's one, the first of the computerized versions. Any way....again I am not trying to step on toes or anything, but I would really really try them out before buying. Or I'm sure as nice as Anne is you could even email her from her blog and ask her and she would help. She has no association with any brands of sewing machines as she doesn't sell them in her shop so I would think she is very open minded and is not judging by being paid etc. As she will let you bring in any machine you want to her shop and she will teach you to use it. So far though every thing she has helped me with has been right on.

http://ndlnookfab.blogspot.com/

Now please don't think I am prejudice against singers. My great grandmother had one that I love! It was the old old kind, and was beautiful and she used it a lot. She kept it in her bedroom. If I get to build my next house, I have decided I too want my sewing room in my bedroom, seems a lot easier! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  9:03:50 PM  Show Profile
My dream house would have a room just for my sewing and crafts. The feature I would most enjoy- An ironing board that folds down from the wall so I wouldnt have to set mine up constantlyl. I love my bernina sewing machine and I have a singer serger.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  10:16:04 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait to get a bernina, that's my dream too to have a ironing board that folds into the wall! EXACTLY! I've thought about it a lot! hahaha

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  9:10:25 PM  Show Profile
I just came back because I've been checking so many patterns and most I have to do a fba on! UHG! I don't want to take the extra time to do that. (FBA-Full Bust Adjustment-meaning my bust size is way larger then their patterns). I haven't checked HotPatterns yet even though I have heard they are better with this, but they don't put their measurements on their site, so I have to look at them at the store and I just haven't had time yet.

So far though burda and kwik sew, and Elizabeth Lee Designs are the only companies that sell my bust size out of the package. Of the big companies Kwik sew has been the best for me. EASY and match my measurements almost exact! They are the patterns that the lady at the store uses to teach with as well. (BTW I was in there today and her co-worker said she offers a full one on one sewing class that last 8 hours-can do all day or split it up in two days or 3 days how ever you want. And she only charges 125 dollars, you can bring in your own machine and she will teach you how to clean it, change anything on it, oil it etc, and also for that 125 it includes actually making a few articles of clothing including the patterns and fabric! So you go home with clothes! She teaches you all the stitches, and such like french seams and what not, she went through all the ones she teaches, of course me not taking sewing in over 25 years forgot most of the ones she named off! lol haha But, I am so saving money and going to do that with her!).

Ok all that to say, I was cruising the Kwik Sew website looking at patterns I want, and this one looks VERY simple, and it has no zippers or anything like that just elastic. I've been making maternity skirts with a pattern that just calls for elastic as well. And I am telling you it's EASY PEASY. This pattern looks every easier then the pattern I've been doing! So I am thinking you may want to check it out-
http://kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3794&Cat=Learn_to_Sew&Level=KWIK_Start&QL=KwikStart

I've also been looking on http://sewing.patternreview.com/

And there has been great reviews on the lingerie kwik sew book (which I have had my eye on for a few years now-I knew when I moved from NYC I was going to start sewing so I started collecting things before my move, I wasn't able to move here till last year, I haven't been here a year yet, I had way too small of a apartment in NYC to actually start sewing, no room to even set up a machine! UHG!) Any way, with such great reviews, I started reading also the reviews for Easy Sewing the Kwik Sew way, from the reviews I am reading it is exactly the book girls like us need! (newbies! lol) the reviews sound awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0913212199?SubscriptionId=0QCHRJVSKG6F3BRGBNG2&tag=pbs_00004-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=0913212199

One of the reviews said not to get turned off by Kwik Sews simplicity in their graphics etc, because the finished products look much better, and fit better then the other patterns on the market. I must say, from the classes I have taken at Needle Nook that is for sure right on. When I went for the tee shirt class, I thought I would take it just to learn to sew with knits but I thought it would look like a old lady shirt by the looks on the kwik sew envelope, but much to my surprise it's the best tee shirt I own! And I totally mean that! So I am inclined to believe that reviewer. Along with each time I go to the shop, Anne has new clothes she has made on display along with the kwik sew pattern sitting beside it that she used to make the garnment and they look so much better then the picture on the envelope. And so far Kwik Sew has been pretty easy for me. (but so has Elizabeth Lee and Blessed Designs, VERY easy) any way.... just thought I would share for every one looking for easy like me! lol haha

And because you mentioned you wanted to make a skirt. I so think this pattern would probably be very doable!

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What are the most important features... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page