Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 raised temperatures and raised tempers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic raised temperatures and raised tempers Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  05:57:45 AM  Show Profile
Boy, this year is the worst with temper flare ups. We are not using air conditioning at all, and the tempers shoot up like rockets when the heat rises. Anyone else going without air conditioning? Maybe this will "condition" them, and myself, for next year.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  10:40:55 AM  Show Profile
when I was an Immigration Officer, whenever the temps went up, the people were more difficult than usual. I used to think it was a fluke, by time and time again when temps and humidity were high, so were the tempers.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  6:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Not going completely without air, but our home has two HVAC units. We had outrageous bills last year, and decided to install cealing fans in every room, and set the temp much higher than we ever have. My house is a constant balmy 85 and I hate it! I am a bear when hot (you should see me pregnant in the summer!!) LOL

All my kids and myself are bickering more, and I'm noticing ny migraines are coming more frequently:( my DH is working constantly, swing shift, so he isn't even here for the hottest part of the day. We are all wilted and droopy when he gets home. At least we ate using to pool and boats much more often, for sanity sake.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  7:16:02 PM  Show Profile
I know I am a wimp, but I love my AC in the summer. I guess one of the perks of living in military housing, we can keep it set pretty low. Our upstairs and downstairs are about 15 degrees different though, so we have to keep is pretty cold downstairs to just have it bearable upstairs. We don't really have too many windows and we are in the middle unit, so we get no fresh air and the AC is kind of a must here. I don;t think I had the AC on this much when we lived in NC!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  7:27:40 PM  Show Profile
I notice places with attic fans are not as hot. I live in the basement of my parents house right now so don't need it. (although I have told them about them as well!) I see Lehman's has ones that are solar powered, when we get our own home I plan on getting at least two. I hear they help in the winter as well as summer. (in the winter you switch the direction they run).

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  9:50:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow... THAT must be what's going on here! LOL! We only have A/C's in the bedrooms... and it's been pretty intense around here since the temps shot up on Saturday... Then again, two unexpected funerals of two younger friends (39 & 43) in less than a week's time are probably adding to the stress. I just spent a while "chatting" with our son because he's been so emotional and miserable these past few days... I am willing to bet you're right, Kristina - this heat is making things SO much worse! Just like Annette - we're all bickering a lot more ('Guess now we know where the term "hot" heads must truly have come from!) and I've had a headache that just won't quit for three days. I hate the extreme cold, but this heat is yucky as all get... and it makes me swell up a bit and feel achey all over, too - do any of you go through that? Yuck!

Weeeelllll... at least we're not shoveling, girls! ;)

Stay cool -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  07:34:32 AM  Show Profile
My first july in my current house I was slapped with a 400 dollar electric bill for the central air. We switched to a swamp cooler in the living room for a little over half that, but lately I've been turning on central ac at night when the rates are lower.
There's no substitute for a good nights sleep and the fam seems to be in better spirits when they're not hot and sticky all night.
wish me luck on the bill not being too insane.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  08:04:25 AM  Show Profile
We do not use our air either. Our house does get relatively cool at night, & high efficiency windows help keep it decent until late afternoon. Hubby know to stay clear of me in the kitchen at night, because I am usually a dripping b*)_tch by then. We have such a high electric bill anyway; I cannot justify the air when I grew up without it. The only time we use it is when it gets so humid that my printer won't print anymore, due to damp, stuck together paper. Hard to have a home based business when the printer won't work.
I took care of my neighbors dogs while they went away; she left them outside on their enclosed porch, but when I went inside to get the food; they had 5 (yes 5!) windows units going full blast. I asked her about it, & she said her hubby did not want to wait to cool the house down when they got home. Jeez. They even had one in the laundry room.
I do love the cool air, but I like the outside air coming in every night. Especially with 4 dogs in the house.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  3:09:30 PM  Show Profile
Hubby would never go without his air. Our thermostat is set at 77. He cannot manage in the heat so I don't even try. Our temps regularly go above 100 right now. I know we wouldn't be able to sleep without it. I would be ok without it. I'm pretty good at adjusting to money saving changes.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  4:40:48 PM  Show Profile
Where I live, I have 3 swamp coolers going 24/7, it is well over a 100 during the summer and without a cool place to go during the hot part of the day, and a cool plce to sleep at night, not only would I become homicidal, I would not be worth beans to work my place. The cost of my coolers in the summer is only about $50 more a month...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  6:27:25 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any AC. Fortunately I enjoy the heat and we only have a week or two of high temps (Upper 90's plus)in the average summer here. I have lots of tall trees around my house which help cool. We open up the house early in the morning to cool down as much as possible. Then close up the doors/windows while we are at work. When we get home we open up the sliding doors and turn on the ceiling fans to create a breeze. Most of the time this keeps us comfortable. This year I'd just be happy to have a day that was warmer than 80 degrees!

I work outdoors alot in the summer, and I agree with you girls that people do get more grumpy and temperamental when it gets hot - especially if they aren't used to the heat.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic raised temperatures and raised tempers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page