Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Any one else homeschooling thru the summer?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Any one else homeschooling thru the summer? Next Topic  

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  11:36:01 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We just got back to work today. I gave Bri the month of June off. I am keeping it light. I got two nice unit studies. One about the 50 states and a Four seasons nature journal. Plus drill sheets for math and just reading books. I got a great book at Sam's Club called Never Bored Grade 2. Lots of activities, crafts, puzzles, cut & paste, mazes, riddles, and stories.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

Starbright
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Marie
Van Buren AR
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  12:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Homeschooling is constant : ) My kids are grown now but I used to homeschool. 4-H was a part of their "schooling" and of course it was busy year round, especiallly in the summer. One of the great things about homeschooling is that you school as you live! Oh yes, I had to fill out those papers every year and I put what they were going to study on it, but our time frame was much more geared towards real life. We took breaks around Christmas/New Years but for the most part, as long as what they had to do was finished by the next "term" we didn't stick to the strict traditional 'school year'. This also left room for 'further adventures' [research/hands-on] in things that were intersting [blacksmithing or astronomy or vet science] to the individual. Enjoy! Summer is a great time to learn!

Starbright
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  3:15:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm supplementing my 3rd grader's education for the summer... mainly keeping her reading skills active and her math fresh in her mind. I keep myself so busy that I honestly need a few hours a day with my kids away being taught by someone else, for me homeschool is more about supplementing with things I think are important but school doesn't teach--rather than a lifestyle.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  6:50:30 PM  Show Profile
In the summer my children go to camps. it is a time for them to be with other children and other adults. The three who are homeschooled right now are 16, 14 and 13. they will all have birthdays in the next couple of months. There are so many things to do around here it makes me crazy to here them say they are bored. So, off to camp they go.
Jarrett who is 16 has gone to one basketball camp and will go to another for a week in August. He loves basketball but is only 5'8 so is not the best candidate. He works about 20 hours a week as kitchen help. He likes the money but does not want to do this the rest of his life.
Kethry is at camp now for five weeks. It has dancing, kayaking, swimming, hiking, and alot of other physical activities. They call once a week to tell us how she is doing. She told me before she left that she would not write and she hasn't. I sure do miss her.
Taliesin spent a week at basketball camp and received and award for the most improved player of his age group and for being a good leader. He will go to Roots Camp next week. It is a day camp that teaches primitive outdoor skills ;ike tracking and wild foods and flint knapping among others. The next week he will go to Shakespeare day camp. He really likes to act and is a great physical comedian. Sometime in August he has a four day baseball camp. He loves baseball. He plans on being a catcher for the Boston Red Sox when he grows up. He wants to go to Boston Colllege to play ball and I told him his reading had to get better for him to even think of going to BC and he started to read for pleasure. He is playing on the Babe Ruth All Star team and they have a tournament this weekend in Bennington which is about a three hour drive from here. Send good thoughts out that his team will win. It is the first time that he will have played on a team that made it past the district competitions. The boys are sooooooo excited.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Texaschick
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Jennifer
Dallas TX
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  09:43:21 AM  Show Profile
We do! It's so hot here in Texas, that it's a good way to spend the afternoon in the cool AC.
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  08:32:01 AM  Show Profile
no no no!! i need a break!! but we do alot of library and he goes to nature camp. don't get me wrong we still learn but not formally. mostly thru nature and star gazing and firfly catching and all that other fun summer stuff

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

knit-together
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Dori
Medinah IL
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  2:35:25 PM  Show Profile
We took this summer off! I need a break - However any homeschooling parent knows that "school" never stops. We join the summer reading clubs at the library (and earn prizes - like movie tickets and free kids meals). We also have several working farms that we visit for free. I always look for free entertainment, and we always seem to have the most fun.
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Any one else homeschooling thru the summer? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page