Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Help! My daughter played barber.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Help! My daughter played barber. Next Topic  

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  08:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
When my daughter went to the bathroom right before she went to bed last night, she hacked her bangs and a big piece over her ear. I didn't notice it last night when I tucked her in her bed in the dark. She hid the big chunk of hair in the bathroom closet. What do I do now?

I thought 3 year olds do this, not six year olds. I am really upset with her.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  08:13:20 AM  Show Profile
six is the right age for that, you never give a 3 year old a scissor, but 5&6 years old they are learning how to use them. they do do it. my boys each did it.it only takes a second st snip it off. when my first one did it he did it right in the middle of his head. we had to shave the whole thing. but i have all boys so you can get away with it. but my advice is to take her to a beauty parlor/ hair dresser. you are just going to have to spring for it. hopefully they will be able to do something. at the worst case gather all your hats, and the cute bandannas you can find. since she is six, i would not be so hard on her just explain that she is going to have to walk around like that till it grows out ( which should be when school starts up. thank goodness) she will be more disappointed with her self on her own, than you can ever imagine. i am sure she will never do that again.

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  08:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I just said, you will have to wait for that to grow out. She schools at home, so that is a relief. But she has to see her group of friends on Thursday.

I don't think a hair dresser can do anything. She hacked the front bangs and a big piece over her ear. I told her I might take her and let them do a pixie cut, but that horrified her more than what it looks like now. LOL

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  10:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amy- my daughter has done that several times now. *sigh* Yup. This past year and a half has been the year of the pixie cut. It is finally growing out. We watched the movie "Tangled" a couple of times and Nora decided she wants Rapunzel hair and is horrified when I have to trim her bangs. In fact the first couple times she burst out in tears because she didn't want me to cut her hair! LOL talk about a change of mind!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  10:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I took a picture of her. I am sure it will be really funny later. I told my hubby when he called from work and he laughed so hard.

Farmgirl #1259

Edited by - MrsRooster on Jun 28 2011 10:12:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  10:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Most of my kids have done it and usually at 4, 5 or 6! My oldest would give his younger brother haircuts instead of himself. yikes. It IS harder when it is a girl though! Boys can just get a buzz..not what I usually do..but sure works at these times. Good luck. They grow up so fast that it is just one of the silly things you have to deal with for a short time.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  11:08:25 AM  Show Profile
it is a hard lesson, but i did it when i was a kid my mom was so horrifyed she would not take me to the hair dresser she took me to my dad's barbor. i got a short boys hair cut. i still hate the pics from then.... if you are crafty please make her some cute clips or something... the best thing is to make it part of the plan.... if you do the pixie cut you can always get her the gel that has sparkles in it.... you are not the only parent that has gone through it.... please let me know how it works out.

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  7:59:38 PM  Show Profile
ROFL! Welcome to the hair club. Mine gave herself a very bad mullet last year. Her hair was down to the middle of her back and she cut off both sides at ear level but couldn't reach the back or forgot it was there. Her dad had to take her to the stylist because I was so mad I couldn't even look at her. Hubby buzz cuts his own hair and he is forbidden to ever let her see him do that!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  8:19:43 PM  Show Profile
My boys did it too. Both of them cut the hair right in the middle of their foreheads. Four years apart in age, they both did it at age 5. My youngest didn't use scissors. He used his dad's razor. Thank goodness his arms weren't any longer or he would have had a strip from front to back. That was really bad. Even with a buzz cut the strip was really visible for a while.

My niece shaved off her eye brows when she was 6. She has dark brown hair and eyes. Talk about looking strange! Took me a few minutes to figure out what looked so strange about her.
I guess this is a good time to talk about who she is not what she looks like with her. Of course that is after the being responsible with scissors talk! LOL
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  8:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Amy
My stepadad always told me the difference between a good haricut & a bad one was a week.
It'll be fine.
She's cute irregardless!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  8:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I just remembered!! When I was in the 4th grade, our teacher read us Harriet the Spy & there is a haircut incident in the book (I think Harriet takes a chunk out of someone's hair; I can't remember now.)
WELLL!! Joey Reynolds (& yes I am 51 & still remember his name)...did it to me. I had shoulder length hair, not unlike Brie's, & he cut a huge chunk out of the back..
My mom was a single mom(as my dad died the yr before) & I think she just left it. Overwhelmed I think.
& yes, it grew out & I am still here to laugh about it.
Although, if I see Joey Reynolds anytime soon, well let's just say, I hope I have a pair of scissors!
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  01:30:32 AM  Show Profile
My Mum reguarly reminds me I did it the night before I was the Princess in the school play and had to play the part with my hair cut so short I looked like the Prince.

To be honest I can't remember it at all so it can't have left a big impression on me!!

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  04:08:47 AM  Show Profile
HA! My mom was so mad when I cut mine that she took me to the barber to get it fixed, and then took me to an ear piercing place to get my ears pierced since I looked like a boy! LOL

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  09:38:08 AM  Show Profile
my seven year old did it last year. Her younger sister got a short cut for preschool and everyone was raving over it so she whacked her hair in a fit of jealousy.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Grandpa was a barber. My mom and aunt, when they were about that age, took grandpa's scissors and played barber. THey each had those long ringlets, and cut off EVERY other one on each other's head. I sure wish grandma had taken a picture of that!

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  11:06:04 AM  Show Profile
Remember, this to shall pass. One of the best haircuters I knew is now a reknowed stylist, just a bit o head of her time then. She was my best friends daughter and she would when not carefully watched would give kids in the neighborhood free haircuts. Some of them where quite unique, but all fixable and thankfully most moms where not to upset, if their child was willing to sit for it... I guess they felt their kid had some responsiblity for it.
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  11:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
All three of my oldest kids have done it. I did it, my little sister did it...lots of shaved boys heads, and pixie cuts for all us girls. If she clipped her bangs, and a section by her ear, the new style is headbands with large bows or flowers. You can make/purchase lots of those, and off set the flower to rest over the short section above her ear. The cloth headbands, that are a full band would work perfect. Try not to be too upset, as so many little ones do this, and it will grow back. Hugs

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  06:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
She is now very mad at me because I told her that she would have to wait until Saturday to go to the salon. That is when her Daddy gets his first paycheck from his new job. The cashier at Sears yesterday said to her Wow, I guess you won't do that again. She has to go to homeschool group today and isn't happy about it. I said to her, what happened to I don't care what anything one thinks. LOL

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  8:57:04 PM  Show Profile
I have "fixed" so many of those in my stylist career. But you should have seen me the day it was MY son. Two weeks before kindergarten pics none the less!
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  10:02:44 PM  Show Profile
with all of these wonderful stories... i am sure you don't feel alone any more!!!

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  08:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
New picture on my blog. She is very happy with the short haircut.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  05:55:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy! I know I'm about a month late getting into this conversation, but I had to add my two cents in and tell you this happened in our house, too. About two years ago, my 1st and 2nd daughters were playing alone upstairs and decided they wanted to pretend to be stylists. For this, they found a pair of child scissors (we do so many crafts I must have kid scissors squirreled away in every room of this house) and a brush and Tessa (my 2nd) cut chunks out of her older sister's hair! They thought it was super fun until I discovered what was going on and screamed in horror! Luckily, it wasn't the bangs and both of them have waist-length hair, so I was able to take her to the stylist and get it shaped into some layers - only some "chunks" were cut so short we had to bear with it and wait for it to grow out.

Just so you know you're not alone - I think it's bound to happen in each family sometime!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Help! My daughter played barber. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page