levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9321 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9321 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  08:03:31 AM  Show Profile
My dh and I picked around 60 lbs. of peaches yesterday. Was fairly quick, took about 15 minutes between us.
So I am canning peach pie filling and peach jelly today! It is taking me a while to get them peeled. I don't use the boiling water method for the peels as I use them to make the jelly. So that takes longer. But I know I will enjoy seeing all of it when it is finished and having that feeling of accomplishment. I'm you farmgirls know that feeling.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  09:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
There is no good on the planet I love more than peaches!!! I'll bet your kitchen smells like heaven!! Jealousy over here, but good for you. And it WILL feel so good to step back when you're finished, and see all those pretty jars lined up, and finished!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9321 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9321 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  12:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Annette,
I managed to get 11 quarts of pie filling done with some of those peaches. Jelly tomorrow morning and the rest I will probably just can and freeze. Need some of them to be without sugar. I love seeing all the goodies on my shelves in the pantry. I am guessing about 12 more quarts of peaches if not more and I don't know how many pints of jelly I will get. But I will have some Christmas gifts ready for this year! I love the smell of each of the fruits when I can them. The cherries I did earlier last month smelled wonderful too! I froze blueberries but still want to get some of those for pie filling too!

farmgirl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  12:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Wish I was there to help! I'm getting ready to move so not much canning for me this year. I miss it! How do you make jelly from the peels?

Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  1:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I did cherries and blueberries about three weeks ago, and it took me two weeks to get the bluish/purple stains off my fingers and nails! LOL. The ladies at church I gave the quarts to were calling me Smurfette! Lol

The house did smell wonderful here too. It sounds like pure extacy to me to be so buried in peaches. I know Mary Beth just did a ton of peaches too. We just don't have great peaches locally:(. So I envy you and enjoy vicariously here on mjf;)

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  3:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I'm missing my peaches this year. Despite the bird netting, the birds have gotten them all! :(

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9321 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9321 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  4:21:00 PM  Show Profile
Annette~ I did blueberries and cherries too and I know what you mean about the stains. Now that they are finally gone the [eaches have colored them yellowish. Eww!

Connie~ I wish you were here to help too because I haven't even made it through half of them yet. As for the peels I put them and any pits that have peach still attached in a HUGE pot and add water so it they won't stick and cook them till the peels are limp. Then I put the juice and peels in a jelly bag or cheesecloth and let it drip for several hours or overnight. Basically, the same as apple jelly using peels and cores. The pectin is closest to the skin so makes for a good set. When it has completely dripped the juice out I measure according to the Sure-jell box for apple jelly and follow the directions for that. I think I will have alot on hand this year!

farmgirl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic working in the kitchen Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page