Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Making MJF sour dough starter...a ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making MJF sour dough starter...a ?? Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  8:06:42 PM  Show Profile

So, it says in The Book (like it's a bible!funny!)...that one should use whole wheat for the starter and then choose whatever kind of flour you want for the actual recipe. Does the starter "work" if white flour is used? My hubby cannot have whole wheat/grains. Thanks ladies!

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
http://restingunderthepinetree.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  08:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can use white flour but it is much harder to get started. The bleaching process kills a lot of the natural yeast that is ground into the bread. Try using unbleached and baby it for an extra week or so. But I have started sourdough from non-whole wheat by following MaryJane's directions

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  05:46:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks...I bet using the WW just for the starter would not be bad for the hubby since it is such a small amount in the recipe. I do have King Arthur unbleached flour...I will try it and see.

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
http://restingunderthepinetree.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making MJF sour dough starter...a ?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page