Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 You know you've gone Farmgirl when...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic You know you've gone Farmgirl when... Next Topic
Page: of 3

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  08:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Barn envy!! I am nuts about barns...I don't even notice the houses as we drive along, I just see the barns...old, new, fancy, plain. I love them all.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  08:51:40 AM  Show Profile
OH ok, I get you AJ. I lived in Winnemucca, so I know what you mean about scrub brush.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

kimswhimsy
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  09:02:55 AM  Show Profile
when you take a picture of your new polka dotted muck boots to show off on Facebook.
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  8:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
Jen, I actually live in Stagecoach and the only trees around are those people have planted. Was originally a native of CA but moved here in '93. First thought of Carson City as a little hick town. Now I live 35 minutes fron there in the middle of nowhere and love the peace and quite. I live on 2 1/2 achres of dirt. But I do have plans!

A.J.

Work is love made visable. ~ TKahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2011 :  07:48:42 AM  Show Profile
When I buy my NEW "dress up" cloths at the farm store or Cabela's.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  11:04:09 PM  Show Profile
I knew I was a F.G. when....
*When I hit the brakes to ask my 'down the road' neighbor if I can bring the pick-up over for another load of Alpaca poo....
*When I get giddy at the thought of only having 4 more payments left on our tractor...
*When I start dreaming of my next pick-up truck....
oh how the list goes on & on! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  5:33:20 PM  Show Profile
When your refrigerator carries home canned pickles, jam and pasta sauce....plus goat vaccines.

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159
Go to Top of Page

MelodyRose
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Melody
Hallsville Missouri
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  9:20:05 PM  Show Profile
...my friends told me that if they needed to go into survival mode, they were coming to my house. And then they did, during the last blizzard in Iowa.
...I look at nearly everything in stores, be it clothing, food items, home items, or toiletries, and my very first thought every single time is, "I could make that for less."
...nobody in my house pays for a haircut (or other professional grooming, for that matter).
...another "earth mother" called out here!
...I got even cheaper than the thrift store and started to prefer to shop at home first and almost always.
...cloth diapering, breast feeding, and making my own baby food turned into homemaking almost everything.
...the cash envelope in our budgeting system for restaurants is always untouched, but the garden budget is always spent.
...one of the first tasks to tackle when we moved to our new house in the spring was finding a manure source for the garden.
...the thing we think about the most concerning our last house is how good the berries must be doing in the garden right about now.

www.aquietlittlelife.blogspot.com

www.MRSdesigns.etsy.com

Edited by - MelodyRose on Jul 17 2011 9:22:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  06:04:26 AM  Show Profile
....after we bought our first farm truck.
....after I drove the pickup an hour to have our very first meat chickens butchered.
....after I made jelly using Queen Anne's Lace flowers.
....after I made dandelion root coffee and jelly.
....after we kept the baby kid goat inside several nights and bottle fed her, and let her walk around inside.
....after my husband went to work and pulled straw out of his pocket and his co-workers asked if he was sleeping with the chickens - ha ha ha!
...after I pulled hay out of my washing machine - ha ha ha!
....after I have been working in the garden, hair in braids and tied up with a bandanna, and still go to the store that way (and not care).

I've always been a thrifty kind of farmgirl - got it from my Dad's side of the family.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FieldsofThyme on Jul 18 2011 06:11:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  1:06:24 PM  Show Profile
When I'm standing in the store line and I'm looking at/holding horse magazines and others are holding gossip mags.

When I buy men's clothes cuz they are made better and hold up longer for work.

When I speak shortcut "horsetalk" to city folk and don't notice their question marks above their heads.

I leave the keys to our pickup in the ignition, with windows down/doors unlocked, and don't think a thing of it.

When I speak pretty bluntly because there is a job to do and do it, I will.

Cry when I find a little baby bird who died.

Can pretty much hold my own with most guys.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

HeirloomMomma
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:58:48 PM  Show Profile
...when I stop to inhale the sweet scent of freshly mown hay.
...when I can't wait to show our grandsons the new baby barn kittens.
...when I harvest our entire supper from our garden.
...when we raise/grow/produce our own eggs, milk, beef, chicken, vegetables and herbs.
...when our date night is going to a county barn meeting/dinner!
...when the post office calls to say "come get this package, it's PEEPING"!!! :)

http://hoovershomesteadhappenings.blogspot.com
"Leap and the net will appear."
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  8:29:07 PM  Show Profile
* I prefer shopping at Tractor Supply store over going to the mall and the mall is closer
* yesterday at a BBQ I took some of my bread and butter pickles and watermelon rine pickles -someone asked who was showing off bringing home canned pickles
* I love harvest time watching my cupboards fill up with home canned goodness
* I have a major case of land/farm/ranch envy
* I badgered my fiance until I got a clothesline put up
* I've started taking my lunch in mason jars now instead of rubbermaid containers and have a mason jar of tea or lemonade in my bag too
* I have truck envy
* I don't have any fashion magazine subscription, but make sure I keep my MFJ, Grit, and Mother Earth News up-to-date along with a couple crafting and food magazines
* my preferred tv watching is do-it-yourself type, cooking or shows like The Waltons
* I consider it a fun day to go watch a mini-tractor pull

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

PicketFence
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Arline
Walla Walla Washington
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  11:10:14 PM  Show Profile
I've been a "earth mother" for years. Always odd about things. Like simple clothes,not much into glitz and glam. Fresh-ground whole wheat flour transformed into homemade bread. Cooking from scratch, shopping the outside aisles. Old ratty towels being cut up and serged for perfect cleaning rags. Home birth, home school, stay-at-home mom, granola, gardening, putting food up... I thought I was just an odd duck. AND THEN...

I found a copy of MJF magazine at the place I go to knit with friends on Wed. night!! OHMYWORD!!!! I'm NOT weird! I'm NOT odd (okay, maybe I shouldn't stretch this too far! ;-) ) I'm a FARMGIRL!!!

It's like coming home. All this fits like a good ol' pair of blue jeans and my beloved Danskos. I'm SO here!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine7
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

nikki
Northern wyoming
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  3:55:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm a farmgirl.. and didn't know it too!!!
I'm a farmgirl because....
.. I tell the dentist that my newest thing I'm doing is raising milk cows!
... I sit on my hill watching the sunset and my 4 month old calf starts licking my face, while a rainbow is directly in front of me, and I think I am at the center of the Universe.
... Because, like someone else said, and I laughed my boots off, I mow around the wildflowers in the yard.
...Because Canning time is better than Christmas.
......Because I let my kids adopt a tomato caterpillar, and they name him "Sausage" and I am the one that's sad when they let him be free to make his cocoon.
... Because eating out is a joke, when cookbooks from 3 generations of women in the family are sitting on my hutch, and I am looking at the pistachio colored mixer on the counter with affection.
Overall, it is wonderful to know I am a farmgirl and I think embracing that is so fun!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  8:09:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by StrawHouseRanch

...when I go to my IT job at the bank with suntan lines around my wrists.
...when I take days off from work to be there when the hay arrives.
...when I mow around that stray wildflower growing in the middle of the yard.
...when I can hear my bees buzzing in the blooms as I walk down the driveway.
...when my chores include scooping the dry lot and the chicken coop, trimming hooves and grooming manes, weeding gardens and watering plants.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home

I wish I had a way to "LIKE" this.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  8:26:00 PM  Show Profile
I realized that Bee Poop my neighbors are willing to sue me over, would not even be noticeable by me...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  05:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
Early Dusk after a fresh rain..the pungent smell of sage....a beautiful FULL rainbow...with a deer family of five grazing less than a city block from my back door right an the end of the rainbow..country gold...ummm love the fresh rain n blessings of God n peace...a time with God..oh so peaceful ummmhuh

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  06:05:58 AM  Show Profile
You know you've gone Farmgirl when...
The best score you ever made at a second hand shop was a brand new, knee high, green pair of Hunter Muck Boots still in the box, in your size for $30!!!!!!
You've been practicing for 4 years to become self-sufficient. You sell all your unneccessary items to buy equipment for your farm. You spend hours scouring real-estate ads and days looking at farms for sale. Your dream is so close you can almost taste it.
Most of your friends on Facebook have real farms and animals...not Farmville.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  07:58:49 AM  Show Profile
When I pull up wooden tomatoe stakes and my glove has a hole in it and I pick out the splinters later in my fingers with my teeth!!
When I worry because my cow is breathing heavy.
When I step in side the store at Tractor Supply and loving the smell of it.
When I walk across the wet grass bare footed.
When I'm picking wild black berries.
When I'm thinking about scooping up cow manure for my garden.
When I'm in my kitchen on Sunday cooking dinner with all the fresh veggies from my garden.
When my tractor is making a funny noise I can't sleep from worrying about it.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  09:16:53 AM  Show Profile
... When you come home from church on a balmy, hot, hazy Sunday morning, dressed to the nines, see a rabbit in your garden, and go right in after him - heels deep in the mud and dress hiked up over your knees, yelling at the poor thing - vowing you'll get him if it's the last thing you do - as if you're some kind of crazed wildwoman, all the while wondering what hossenfeffer tastes like...

And, yes, the neighbors are STILL talking about it...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 22 2011 09:20:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:09:27 AM  Show Profile
When I am finally beginnning to look for recipes to make all things homemade..........

Tortillas, naan, breads, jams, sauces, laundry soap, dish soap, cleaners, etc.

I have not begun to complete all that I want to try. But I am anxious to get going!!

And amen on all above, especially the reading and magazine material!!

Blessings, Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  1:50:26 PM  Show Profile
When my local library has to keep ordering things special for me to read all about farming and animals
When I walk like one and talk like one (Farmgirl)
When I can remember the first time I was in Farm and Fleet and there is music in the background (from my memories not in the store)
When I get sickened by all the talk of GMOs and massive livestock antibiotics
When I get a great deal ($1 each) on overalls at the local thrift store and my husband sees me in nothing else for weeks
When I trade alone time to go to the Farmers Market

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  4:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmer Judy - We're not too far from each other. I live in Morris, IL. If you ever get down this way, let me know and you can hook up with me and the other farmgirls in our chapter (a very small but fun chapter). We'd love to meet you. Isn't this a fun topic? I've had a blast reading everyone's posts. Too funny... Keep cool...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Rachael
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Rachael
Smithfield Utah
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  8:54:35 PM  Show Profile
When I my idea of an awesome date with my husband is going to IFA
Everyone wants chickens for pets because I talk about them so much!
When one of the best parts of the day is watering the garden!
You are jealous when you drive past a field and think about how you could map out each section into gardens, and how many chickens could live on it!

Winter Hollow Farm
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  2:22:38 PM  Show Profile
When I'm climbing the fence in the cow lots to keep from getting ran over by a crazy yearling.
When Atwoods Farm and Ranch Supply became my favorite store.
Getting greasy helping my husband work on a tractor.
When I remember what chicken poop feels like between your toes (childhood memory)
Smelling my line dried clothes.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic You know you've gone Farmgirl when... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page