Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic My "ASPEN ARBOR" Next Topic  

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  4:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
In July 1994 our house and all the trees around it were destroyed in an arson related fire. Well, we had lots of natural trees that were lost and you just can't replace those. So, over the years we've planted Aspen (aka . . "quakies") and Colorado Blue Spruce. The aspens spread and put up more trees here and there and our original two have done that and now we have a nice little grove.

I've been thinking about making me a little hideaway/nook and started making plans earlier this summer. These are pics of how it looks right now.

The old stove is originally from my husband's maternal grandfather's ranch and it was in our house that burned down. He was actually able to use it in his shop for a time, but then the grate burned out and he replaced the entire stove.
I used an old washtub from the same ranch turned upside down for a "side table", put in a double-hook shepherds hook with a hanging vinca plant and a little lantern filled with colored glass. Little cushions that I had made a while back. "Planted" a section of weathered picket fence and hung a little flag on it . . I plan to put up more fence as soon as I get more posts. Added a potted pink geranium and some garden tools, terra cotta pots and a little blue watering can.
It's nice and cool, and I can listen to the aspen leaves "quake" in the breeze . . one of my favorite sounds. The "footstool" is a weathered round of cottonwood that's been laying around, but it's perfect for a footstool.

I think it's going to be one of my favorite places to rest and relax.
Thanks for letting me share!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jul 24 2011 6:07:33 PM

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  5:04:02 PM  Show Profile
CJ~ That looks so relaxing.!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

IdahoShamrock
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Kathy
Hayden Idaho
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  5:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow,CJ! Mia and I are admiring your little sitting area. Aren't aspens the best? I love their rustly whispers.

Farmgirl #2125

www.dustbincards.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6641 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6641 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  5:38:58 PM  Show Profile
It is beautiful and very homey, we all need a little place all our own. Thanks for sharing.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  5:52:46 PM  Show Profile
CJ, that is wonderful and peaceful and just plain cool! But I want that old stove. I bet it weighs a ton though. You will have a greta place to hang out and get some good reading done. I love it. Thanks for sharing and I will think of you sitting out there with your feet propped up with a nice glass of something cool to drink and a good book. Enjoy!

I am also doing a little place in the corner under a maple tree. Hubby finally moved the old trash trailor this week. So I can get a start on it. I'll be out there soon too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  6:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Kris,
That stove is HEAVY . . . . VERY HEAVY!!! Robin, my daughter, helped me move it while she was still here before going back to her home after our road trip.
Bumpity-bump over the back yard, from behind my hubby's shop and through an anthill. Bill was in the house and we were trying to get it done before he came out . . . we're farmgirls you know. But we had to stop to laugh occasionally . . . it was impossible to pull/push it along while we were laughing. We got it to where we wanted it and right there under that tree before he came out. He laughed and says "what are you two doing" to which we responded "moving furniture".
We had to dig one corner of it (it has legs) out of the ground, stand it up and lean it onto a dolly! Yup, HEAVY! Mission accomplished!
Isn't it lovely? The light colored material in the right hand side sections of the door are the only pieces of mica glass left in it. It can no longer have a fire in it so it might as well stand proud in my yard to be admired. It has a long and interesting history!
Thanks girls!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jul 27 2011 06:00:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  9:26:32 PM  Show Profile
how wonderful, with some great personal history to it.

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  05:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Don't know if you can see it, but there is a really cool vintage birdcage on top of the stove. I took some rusty metal bird cutouts and put their beaks and tails in the bars on the cage so it does have birds decorating it. I was very fortunate one day, a couple years or so ago, when I went to our Salvation Army thrift store . . . there were TWO really cool vintage birdcages there for a $1.00 each!! They aren't the same design and they've been sitting on my deck tables. I love those kinds of "finds".
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jul 25 2011 12:21:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  06:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, we had a heck of a storm last night with GULLY WASHER rain, powerful wind, thunder and lightning. Now I have to put my little fence back up . . .mercy me!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6641 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6641 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  06:29:48 AM  Show Profile
I love the rustic birdcage on top of the stove it is so sweet. Wasn't the rain wonderful? I am glad it did not hurt anything else but your fence it is such a peaceful spot.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  11:54:44 AM  Show Profile
Glad your adorable rest spot survived. I love having little "rooms" in the yard.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  7:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Perfect CJ
Such a cozy and welcoming spot. The perfect place for a cup of coffee early in the morning while reading your Bible :) The stove is BEAUTIFUL!!! I am picturing you and Robin moving it and I am laughing with you :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Jul 26 2011 7:23:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  4:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Sharon! Hey, why don't you come on over and have coffee and Bible reading with me out there sometime! That would be so sweet!!

I got my fence section put back up. My hubby and a friend of his were admiring my arbor yesterday (I was at work) but they didn't offer to put up my fence section. . . silly men!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  6:08:48 PM  Show Profile
CJ, I just love it - wish I could come and sit a spel.
On another note - Sister and my Alaskan trip was awesome! On the third day of our cruise, Dave fell at home and broke his left humurus - still waiting to see if he will have to have surgery. He was cleaning the basement as a surprise for me when he fell. Danette came and got him, took him to her house for 10 days till I returned. They didn't want me to come home as they had every thing under control. It was hard being away from him, but I talked to him at least once a day which made it easier. He is so glad to have me home with him :)!
Hope you had a wonderful time on your trip.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  8:06:44 PM  Show Profile
OOOHHH- CJ that looks wonderful! I am constantly trying to create little spots like that to just sit and "be". Good luck with your creative space...I'm sure you will enjoy many good moments there!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  4:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Ruth . . . I wish you could come and sit a spell as well.
Glad to hear your cruise went well but sorry to hear about Dave. Thankful he was taken care of. Will be praying for him!
Our trip was WONDERFUL! Thanks for your call along the way . . was so good to hear your voice and share a bit with you.
I'll be emailing you sometime soon . .
OXOXO
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  4:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Laurie . . . thanks!
There are a couple other places in our yard that would work for a little hideaway/nook. One of them will require a lot of tree branch clean out. As I get time I think I'll get those "furnished" for other little places.
It's also fun!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  12:23:00 PM  Show Profile
How cute! This is why we need a "decorating" type area for the board...

Be the change...

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My "ASPEN ARBOR" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page