Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 You know you've gone Farmgirl when...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic You know you've gone Farmgirl when... Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  5:45:05 PM  Show Profile
We've all had those sobering moments when we realize there's no getting around the fact that we are farmgirls, and no one but another farmgirl would completely understand.
Share your true stories!

I know I've gone farmgirl when...

... I keep baby farm animals in the warmest room of the house. And if that happens to be my bedroom, so be it.

... when my cousin posts a bird feeder she made out of an Arizona Green Tea can on facebook, her "friends" call it redneck, and I not only leap to her defense, I write down the directions because I think it's just as awesome an idea as she does.

... When I save 'garbage' like scrap boards, wire, newspaper and milk jugs. Not because I'm a hoarder but because I know I will need those items.

... When I am more excited over possibly winning Mother Earth News's heritage chicken starter kit and Tractor Supply Co. Gift certificate than I am for entering Redbook's sweepstakes for a Jamaican vacation and airfare.

... When a butt kickin wind storm comes up I run out to move my potted veggies into shelter and make sure my corn is still standing up before even shutting my windows(as of 5 minutes ago)

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  5:59:41 PM  Show Profile
I realized that too lately. Especially when my sis was here and we went to the store to get magazines for the beach and she had Cosmo and tabloid mags and I had Grit, MJF (naturally), and Crochet World.

I am the only one in military housing here I have seen who uses a retractable clotheline.

When I go to the store and see how much canned veggies or jellies are I scoff because I make my own for waaaay cheaper and healthier! :)

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  7:08:40 PM  Show Profile
...when I started to prefer homemade over store bought.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  7:32:26 PM  Show Profile
People at my office ask me why I always stay until 5 (everyone else likes to leave early when it is slow) and I tell them "do you know how many chickens (or other animal/supply I happen to want/need) I can get with that "extra" money?"

Friends and people at work talk about their favorite places to shop :Belk, JC Penny, Macy's, Dillards and I talk about Tractor Supply, Agri Supply and what's new at the local feed store

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/

Edited by - rksmith on Jul 03 2011 7:33:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  7:34:20 PM  Show Profile
...when I realized I go to Tractor Supply more often than Walmart and actually like going there more!
...when I started having land envy driving down the road.
...when my SIL called me earth mama.
...when my 88 year old FIL asked me what was wrong with his beans.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  07:31:16 AM  Show Profile
...when the garden keeps getting bigger
...when it started to hurt me to my core to see all of packaging waste from convenience frozen meals
...when I decided that homemade yogurt was definitely worth the effort
...when my lunch got transported to work in mason jars instead of ziploc containers
...when I finally mapped out where I can buy local meats
...when I realized that all of those threadbare towels I had were "pure gold" for cleaning rags and for paper towel duties.

Kate
Farmgirl Sister #862
http://www.wildwomanglamgirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  07:49:42 AM  Show Profile
... first check at any thrift or garage sale- canning jars
... looking into the family room to see the fold out table still up with garden seeds, potting soil , 2 gardening books and my straw hat still sitting on it (since march)
... Making a temporary fence out of chicken wire, lattice and rusty fence posts to keep the dog out of the new garden bed in his side of the yard

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  09:36:28 AM  Show Profile
I love this topic!!!

For me it was:
~ when my friends called me "Earth Mother"
~ I realized how out of sorts I feel if I can't git dirt under my nails
~ when we delivered our first baby horse
~ When I cried at the first starry night, sunrise and sunset I saw out in the country

I love being a farmgirl!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  2:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
....when I decided gardening gloves weren't evil due to the sheer amount of time my hands are in the dirt.
....when I go out to visit Tala and about cry when I have to leave.
....when I want to stop and inspect every farm/country house that has a for sale sign on it!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  4:09:43 PM  Show Profile
This is fun -

- When I need something, I go to the thrift store first
- When I told my husband I would rather have less money and more time at home - for both of us
- When I get so excited when MJF & MEN come in the mail...
- When my DH and I planned to go to Iowa to visit the Seed Saver Exchange
- When I can't wait for the next farmer's market...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  8:30:56 PM  Show Profile
...when I get raffle tickets to sell for the county Extension office and feel more excited that first prize is half a steer (as opposed to winning the money)
....when I use apple cider vinegar as a hair conditioner
....when I wash all my clothes in cold water and use homemade detergent
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  08:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
i agree with all the above!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  08:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I came up with something else too

I feed all my scraps to the chickens
I compost for the ever growing garden
I raise my own meat
I butcher my own meat
I homeschool
I line dry for energy savings
I love to make sun tea
I no longer have going out clothes they are all farm work clothes..lol
I wash in cold

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  10:33:06 AM  Show Profile
...when I go to my IT job at the bank with suntan lines around my wrists.
...when I take days off from work to be there when the hay arrives.
...when I mow around that stray wildflower growing in the middle of the yard.
...when I can hear my bees buzzing in the blooms as I walk down the driveway.
...when my chores include scooping the dry lot and the chicken coop, trimming hooves and grooming manes, weeding gardens and watering plants.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  6:16:07 PM  Show Profile
When I walk out the front door and my dwarf nigerian goats say " maaaaaaaaam ma! Lol
When I can't eat my supper til all the animals have eaten.
When I get emails from city slickers wanting to buy produce, soap and eggs.
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  6:54:17 PM  Show Profile
When my friend and I drove by a dairy farm and she nearly gagged at the smell, and I didn't even notice :)

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&vid=66

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  06:36:09 AM  Show Profile
....ditto! i really can't think of anything to add-but i am really proud to be a farmgirl that's for sure!

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  07:23:27 AM  Show Profile
when I bring a jar of jam to work for everyone to share and they say, you made that?

my home made starbucks in a mason jar.

counting the hours till I am off work so I can be outside in my garden.

when all I want to wear is my comfy jeans..

when I decided I really don't like eating out..it all taste the same.
paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  09:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
This is so neat...

-when rain or shine, my 1st cup of coffee and I go out to feed animals, and check on the garden.

-when I'm trading vegetables with local farmers, who want what I've grown!!

-when my kids and I laugh til we cry, while playing in card of harvested feed corn, instead of watching cartoons!

When I stay up all night with a barn cat havin' her kittens, and know how to help when she's in trouble.

-when friends at church are bragging to eachother about my vegetables, flowers or garden, and calling me farmgirl Nettie.

-when I discovered my favorite fragrence was the air on a dewy morning, the day after the fields are turned over. Boy I wish I could bottle and wear that!!
*love being a farmgirl*

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  6:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
When you get excited that you need new work gloves because you did an honest days work (lots of them) and wore then out.

When you have wood envy for your wood burning stove.

A.J.

Work is love made visable. ~ TKahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  11:31:01 PM  Show Profile
"Wood envy" AJ?

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  12:26:08 AM  Show Profile
I knew years back I would always be a farmgirl even when I had to be in the city because:
i love the smell of dirt & always have some sort of garden even if its in buckets...
buy food & feed all the stray cats no matter where I live....
Want homemade mashed potatoes & milk gravy over some fancy resturant meal...
& now with 2 coops & an in house coop for injured chickens don't get uptight if I step in poo...I even go into the outdoor coops barefooted!
forget shopping unless its at the feedstore...my home away from home & I love it!
I can grow my own food, can it, freeze it, dry it, make home made yogurt, make lye soap from scratch,& build a coop with my own power tools.
Mud & dirt are my daily friends & though I have long unpolished nails I don't mind all the dirt I have to wash out from under them.
the sun is truly a great friend when I want to hang my clothes out on the lines to dry.
I prefer listening to my rooster crow or hens cluck than have to hear the traffic.
Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  05:26:39 AM  Show Profile
wood envy ... how about fencing envy? As in, "Gee, their fencing looks so nice and straight!" There's lots of different kinds of wood envy...
marianne
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6639 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6639 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  06:11:35 AM  Show Profile
I met a farmgirl who loves her chickens so much she holds them in her lap when they are sick, have them in her house and takes in every sick and hurt chicken to give them TLC and love.
And I think it is the greatest thing in the world, I never knew folks who love chickens did that. Now I am so into her chickens I need a daily update on Rosy, Cee Cee, the baby chicks and all the others.
To say I am blessed to have met this farmgirl and can not imagine not having her in my life.
Thanks M aka batznthebelfry for sharing your life and chickens and your other babies with me through email and pictures, I am truly a farmgirl.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  8:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
Wood envy as in they have many years worthof wood top burn. I live in the high desert of northern Nevada. Lot a sage brush, but not a lot of trees. I get jealous when I see it all piled nice and high.

A.J.

Work is love made visable. ~ TKahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  12:23:26 AM  Show Profile
You know you have gone farmgirl when...
you are driving in the country and can name the breeds of cows you see.
you think that Carhart and Dickies are designer labels.
you change aprons more often than you change underwear...sometimes a few times a day.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic You know you've gone Farmgirl when... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page