Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What to do with ALL of those Jalapeno Peppers??!!@
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What to do with ALL of those Jalapeno Peppers??!!@ Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  04:34:31 AM  Show Profile
I wanted to share a recipe that my son-in-law did to help use up the gazillion Jalapeno peppers from the garden Split the peppers open and scrape out the seeds, fill with cheese(he used fresh soft goat cheese my daughter makes from her small dairy herd of Lamancha goats) any kind of cheese will be fine, then wrap in bacon and cook on the grill till cripy and done. They are an updated version of "poppers" and so fantastic! So, they still had a BUCKET of peppers left over and I took them to work and posted this recipe.... folks flocked to the bucket for handfuls of peppers and all were gone in a few minutes!!! I was amazed. So, if you were wondering what to do with all of those Jalapeno peppers, check out this recipe during your holiday weekend.

Bon Appetite!!
Winnie #3109

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  04:57:37 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Winnie. I am going to have to make cheese now becasue I have weaned the goat kids. I already am trying to think of what all I can do with the milk. And I have gazzilions of jalapeno peppers too. So this will work out great. Thanks!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  08:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
When I read the title of your post my first thought was the very recipe you mentioned! LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:28:47 AM  Show Profile
I sometimes take the peppers and cut the tops off, scrape out the seeds and such, and fill with melted cheese. Then you freeze them. You can use about anything to hold them upright while they freeze.

My Hubby has some ice cube trays that he converted to hold peppers. He took a bunch of trays and cut the bottoms out of all the cube dips. Then he super glued them on top of a tray with the bottoms still intact. It gives a nice deep well to hold the peppers upright.

Once frozen you dip the peppers in your favorite batter and lay on waxed paper covered trays and refreeze.

Now you can store in zipbags or freezers containers for deep fryin later!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Yum! I do well with peppers nearly every year and this recipe will come in handy in August! I think bacon makes just about anything even better...don't you?

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  10:50:02 AM  Show Profile
I dry any I can't use..cut off tops and take out seeds.. I cut strips and dry..then store in glass jar.. I use during winter to add zip to my soups, or dips, in scrambled eggs, wherever you can.. Paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  11:51:54 AM  Show Profile
luv the ideas here. I also spritz with some olive oil and roast them in the oven, then chop and freeze. Good for soups, chilis, etc through the winter.

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  2:07:55 PM  Show Profile
We make and can what we call "sludge". It gives you that fresh japaleno taste all year and because of it's consistency, it blends really well throughout recipes. It's great for seasoning Mexican food, soup, chili or dips. Some of my family members love it mixed with mayo for sandwiches.

3 pounds jalapeno peppers, ground
5 medium onions, ground
1/3 cup canning salt
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 cups water
1 1/4 cup whie vinegar

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer one hour. Fill 1/2 pint jars and seal in water bath canner. Process for 15 minutes. Makes about 12 one-half pints.
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  2:09:11 PM  Show Profile
We also make jalapeno jelly. It's great with cream cheese on crackers. Yum !
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  2:49:42 PM  Show Profile
last summer I made green tomato and jalapeno relish, and I think I will be making it every summer. I second the jalapeno jelly suggestion, always a big hit and it makes a great housewarming gift with home made crackers and Mary Janes soft cheese.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  3:29:44 PM  Show Profile
ooh...i third the jelly on cream cheese...i usually put drained salsa on cream cheese...got to try this, soon.......yum.
paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  04:24:58 AM  Show Profile
I love the idea of the jalapeno jelly. Can someone post their favorite way to make this? Because I STILL have more peppers in the frig! I am thinking the jelly would be good baked on top of chicken ? I am amazed here at all of the great ideas out there. Farm Grils are the go to place for "what to do now?!"

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  10:34:17 AM  Show Profile
here is the one I used, if you want hotter jelly, leave some seeds or use more peppers. http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/2010/06/jalapeno-jelly.html

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What to do with ALL of those Jalapeno Peppers??!!@ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page