Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Is this terrible of me? Re: canning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Is this terrible of me? Re: canning Next Topic  

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  11:42:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm very meticulous when it comes to canning. I'd horribly afraid of hurting my family so I follow directions the the letter.

Is it bad that I don't trust other people's canning? As I mentioned in the earlier thread about canning jam without a water bath, I bought some blueberry jam at the farmer's market last year and when the maker told me she doesn't use a water bath (we were talking about jam making)I actually started to regret my purchase. She said she'd made my jar of jam that morning, it was still warm, so we opened it that night.

I don't want to be rude or wasteful, but I'm just afraid.

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  12:11:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you there. Unless I know who canned it & their practices
I have a friend who purchsed non water bath jams that had mold on them & they came from someone who sells them for a living.
I'm sure it could happen to anyone, but I do get a bit leary.
There are some folks that I trust completely, but unless I know for sure..I'm with ya!
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  12:29:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you also - unless I know the person and how they can I'm not taking the chance with my family's health.

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  1:14:07 PM  Show Profile
I also am VERY picky about other peoples canned products. I have a aquantance that cans alot of things and I won't touch her stuff. She just throws stuff into jars and cans it. I will not put my health at risk for her goodies. My SIL on the other hand is just learing and any question she either calls or looks it up in her Ball Blue Book, I have no problem eating her stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  5:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree! Canning is just too risky to take chances with your help. You have to be very sanitary and follow known recipes to the letter or know for a fact that the PH is right so it won't encourage bacterial growth. I would only buy home canned stuff from someone who has been inspected and certified and probably only after grilling them about their canning techniques! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  5:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Jelly doesn't have to be done in a water bath but jam should be. I understand about the safety of buying home canned goods from someone else. Unless you know what their practices are it gets a bit iffy. Lots of people who can do it for their own families. Also, if I am going to be picky then I won't purchase it, I'd can it myself or buy from the grocers.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  5:41:10 PM  Show Profile
Having had a MIL who canned her green beans by boiling them down, adding boiling water, putting them into jars and sealing and putting up when the lids popped down (nope - no pressure canning, no waterbath canning, no nothing) I learned never to eat anything that I didn't know who had canned it and how it had been canned!! I still can't believe that nobody in that family got botulism!!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  08:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Okie Farm Girl

Having had a MIL who canned her green beans by boiling them down, adding boiling water, putting them into jars and sealing and putting up when the lids popped down (nope - no pressure canning, no waterbath canning, no nothing) I learned never to eat anything that I didn't know who had canned it and how it had been canned!! I still can't believe that nobody in that family got botulism!!!

Mary Beth

Yikes!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  08:58:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh Mary Beth that made MY stomach roll! I'm super meticulous with my canning too. I'm taking our states required class (1st one) on canning this fall for folks that work in food processing in a commercial kitchen. I'm doing it because we are planning to build a certified commercial kitchen on our farm to rent to folks that need one to process things for their farm stands or for retail. I can't wait to see what all I learn. Just being in a commercial kitchen will be a treat.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  09:14:18 AM  Show Profile
When it comes to canning or even cooking for that matter, I agree with others that you cannot be too careful! I am very cautious eating at potlucks because so many people don't really keep foods at the proper temp prior to the event. Stuff can already be sitting out several hours at the wrong temp before being set out on a table for several more hours! For that reason, I also avoid restaurants with buffets where stuff can be left over from the day before and you have no idea. And you have no idea about the cleanliness of their kitchen or cooking habits. A county health inspector told me once that most people who think they had the "24 hour" flu in fact had food poisoning because he sees all the time how restaurants keep foods improperly stored at correct temps! This problem is real and not just in our imaginations! FarmGirls are right to ask questions and be wary!!

Red Tractor Girl#3109
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  09:29:14 AM  Show Profile
The sickest I've ever seen my sweetie was from fast food iced tea! There is something that grows in those containers if they are not regularly cleaned. Quite a few people in town got sick from it. Enough that the Health Department figured it out! Thank goodness I didn't eat with him that meal. If both of us had it we would have really been pitiful.

I get sick every time I eat at my MIL's house. I think there is some bacteria in her kitchen that they have all adjusted to that I can't tolerate. Had a neighbor up north like that too. Could not eat from her house either. Other folks houses, no problem.

But I also remember my Grandmother cooking these huge breakfasts with two or three meats and vegetables. After everyone left the table and plates were cleared she threw a clean table cloth over it and it was eaten for lunch. Nobody got sick. And this was with no air conditioning! Any one else remember that?
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  2:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Connie, My mom always did that with Thanksgiving dinner and sometime Sunday dinners and we never were sick from going back and picking at stuff the rest of the day. Funny the things you remember isn't it? Maybe the stains on those old tablecloths aren't from spills but from laying them over the food like that!

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  3:38:25 PM  Show Profile
I'll bet you are right Denise! Sure explains the stains. Especially if folks were lifting it to eat all day.
I know when I back pack I eat hard salami that is not refrigerated for several days, hard boiled eggs too! Hard cheeses keep for a few days as well. I've never gotten sick from that either.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  8:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Wow, after reading the reply about green beans I'm glad I taught myself how to can using USDA and ball instructions. I surely didn't want to pick up any bad habits. I'd love to take a certification course!

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  8:08:41 PM  Show Profile
I was visiting my aunt and uncle this past week (they were around during the depression) and both were talking about days gone by. They told me about how a huge meal was prepared on the farm and then kept out on the table for people to eat on until it was gone. They said that nobody ever got sick.

MamaCrunch, yep, I took an extension canning class just a few weeks after my MIL taught me to "can" and I sat there in class thinking, "Yikes!! I could have died of food poisoning!!" I went back and told my MIL that here way of canning just wasn't good and she pointed out that she'd been doing it for years. Lucky I guess!!!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts