Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Edema?? Left foot swelling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Edema?? Left foot swelling Next Topic  

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  09:57:46 AM  Show Profile
I know this is probably coincidental, but I turned 40 and within a week I started having acute leg and foot swelling. I have noticed in the last couple years more aches and pains, but usually I am a trooper and just keep plugging along. So my foot started hurting and it turned out it was swollen dbl the size of the other. I didn't injure it and it's only on the left side. Both my husband and I are self-employed with not health insurance, so unless we gushing and need stitches we've avoided the Dr. I told him 2 weeks ago, I should probably have it looked at, but I keep putting it off hoping it'll get better. It's been about a month now and I finally sat down at the Internet to look around to see what it maybe. I think its edema. To high of toxins in my body, from a lack of water and a history of eating the wrong foods. So I looked further to see what I could do myself to relieve it. It looks like take vitamins, drink lots of water and detox my body. So I started this a couple days ago.

Has anyone had this problem? Do you know of other ways I can reduce the swelling in my foot and clear out my system of toxins? Any thoughts or advice is welcome.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  6:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Well,
yes you most definately have edema, but what is causing it is the bigger question. I would go right away to a Doctor and make sure it is not anything serious.

But if you are just wanting to detox, fresh fruit, fruit juice(only 100% juice) whole wheat bread toast(needs to be toast no fresh bread), and water for at least a week should do the trick. And nothing else no seasoning, sodas, other foods etc... Depending on how many toxins you have would determine the amount of time spent on this diet but usally a week does it. Also water is so VERY important you need to drink 10 -12 8oz glasses every day.

If there is an infection in your leg a charcoal poltice will do wonders and if you are interested and need information on this just let me know!!

Hope everything turns out well!!!
Hugz!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  04:09:41 AM  Show Profile
Find out the source of the edema before self treating! Edema can range from diet to infection to heart failure and more. Your health can't be replaced.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  04:50:28 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, I agree, see a doctor first! And this comes from someone who doesn't run to the doctor for everything, I self treat with herbs, food and such. But in this case, it could be a heart problem, not to scare you but you sure don't want to put it off any longer. It could also be a insect bite, a spider maybe? Get it checked soon and let us know how your doing. Good luck girl!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  11:26:51 AM  Show Profile
Ok, Ok, Ok...Thank you for the little nudge I needed to make an appointment. My mom tried, but I didn't listen. I am going Monday at 11:20.

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  11:58:59 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful Tammy, I wish you were going sooner, but at least your getting it checked out! Let us know! Oh, and always listen to your Mom! LOL

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  11:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know how Tammy is doing after seeing a doctor, she hasn't posted the results yet? Sure hope all is ok with her, are you out there Tammy??

Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  1:10:08 PM  Show Profile
I am sorry you are worrying about me. But I didn't go. I was all set-up to go and my Mom reminded me that if I get diagnosed with something, it may stop me from getting health ins. which we are currently in the process of getting.

It's a hard decision trying to decide do I take a chance that this is really bad or getting diagnosed before our insurance takes effect and not getting coverage. So I didn't go. I've been worried for about a week, but the detox is working because the swelling has gone down considerably. I also went on the national heart & diabetes websites to see what I can do to start helping myself until I can go to the Dr. I now see why you encouraged me to go. The heart site really got my attention. Some of the symptoms I have really look similar. That made my choice even harder.

So we applied for insurance and hopefully we will get coverage in the next 30 days. I have completely changed my diet (which was a long time coming) and now I stay in tuned to everything my body is telling me and pray a lot. So Sue forgive me...

Sincerely,
Tammy

Edited by - Garden_artist on Aug 01 2006 1:14:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  1:48:22 PM  Show Profile
I am coming in late on this conversation but...swelling on one side in an extremity like the foot or the leg could possibly be a blood clot in that one leg. If you had swelling in both legs it could possibly be heart failure. But one doesn't know until diagnosed. I see it has been almost two weeks, and I am very glad that the swelling is going down some, but it sounds like it is not completely resolved. It could still be a blood clot. Is your swollen leg cooler than the other? Have you been running a low grade fever? Pain in that one side? The danger comes in if that clot blocks blood flow and you end up with no blood flow to the extremities which could lead to gangrene and possible amputation. Or if the blood clot were to break loose or even fragments of that clot breaking loose, then travel to your brain (stroke) or lungs (pulmonary embolism) or heart (heart attack.)
Not trying to scare you....just please seek help if it doesn't get much better very soon. Just wanted to add, that it could be so many different things, but the point is that your leg is not draining properly for some reason. Elevate your leg....do NOT put any pillows or anything directly behind the knee when you are elevating your leg. don't rub your calf, in case it is a clot. Watch for redness, more edema, pain or an increase in your current level of pain and shortness of breath or a change in your alertness, basically any changes. Do you have a nurse friend, or a doctor friend who could come over and check it out for you? They would of course tell you to see a doctor. Are there any free clinics in your area?

I know you are wanting insurance....and I do understand about pre-existing clauses, I put off a follow up mammogram until I could get life insurance to help protect my family from the chance that I had breast cancer and then wouldn't be able to get life insurance. Thankfully it was okay, but you really do need to consider getting treatment as soon as possible.

Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!

Edited by - Aunt George on Aug 02 2006 02:13:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  12:59:16 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I agree that you need to consult with a medical professional; can you think of anyone that you know personally through church, the neighborhood etc?

I had similar symptoms in early 2005 and did have a blood clot in my leg. I ended up in the hospital for a week with a risk of dying if I even moved out of bed and was closely monitored with blood thinners for the next 6 months. I am still extremely careful and report any odd symptoms to my doc.

I don't know the laws on pre-existing conditions, but I am pretty certain that if you join a group policy via employment that you can't be turned down. Is this a possibility for you?

My final statement is that medical care in this country is so terrible! The rich profit and the rest of us struggle to be able to have care!

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  5:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, please post and let us know how you are doing. I am not a health professional, but I do encourage you to go to a doctor as soon as you are able. I do hear you about the insurance. I do have insurance, but with a high deductible, so I usually put off going to the doctor too, since it is money out of my pocket every time I go, and the body does have a remarkable capacity for healing on its own.

Earlier this year I had an occasional pain in one foot and some swelling. I put off going to the doctor for at least six weeks. I finally went and found I had broken a bone in my foot in an unusual place. I have no memory of any injury but the x-ray was clear. So he put a cast on and it really made a difference, I didn't realize how much pain I was having until it went away. I wore the cast for 8 weeks, then he replaced it with elastic bandage, finally an elastic sock that I am still wearing to keep the swelling down. It cost some money but had I not gone it might have healed badly and caused a lot more problems.

Not saying this is your problem, but how do you know unless you go and get a diagnosis?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  08:47:55 AM  Show Profile
I am doing really good. The swelling is minimal. I am watching my diet and continue to keep my foot elevated as much as possible. The symptoms really are getting better.

My foot was swollen for about 6 weeks at least 3 times bigger than the other, but in the last week and a half (since I started the detox) its now just a little swollen. I check my leg and foot often during the day to check for heat, cold or discoloration, but so far so good.

We are waiting to hear from the ins agent about our coverage. I hope it doesn't take to long to go through all the jumps and hurdles. We are both self employed so we can be turned down for pre-existing conditions that’s why its so important I wait if I can. I have to put this in God's hands and do everything I can to help myself in the meantime. I sure do appreciate all your caring and concern. And if anything changes (good or bad) I will be sure to let you all know.

I have a trip planned with my daughter in a couple weeks and I fully intend on going unless things turn around for the worst (which I do not expect). I will continue to do the detox on my body, which I needed to do anyway and watch my diet. I gave up chocolate, soda and coffee for goodness sakes along with salty and processed foods. So needless to say it’s a good thing. I needed to make changes in my diet and this just gave me a little kick in the butt.

Sincerely,
Tammy

Edited by - Garden_artist on Aug 03 2006 08:49:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  09:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I totally understand about the insurance thing. I and my children have preexhisting conditions and we are considered uninsurable on private insurance. That is one of the reasons my husband has the job he does so we can get insurance. As our medical bills per person can reach up to 250,000.00 (each) and beyond. per year thank heaven we have not had those types of years. But we have had 40,000.00 years. It will get closser to the 250,000.00 and higher once my girls hit puberty and their bleeding disorders have complications with their cycles like mine. It is scary to go with out insurance I pray all goes well with your foot and your insurance.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  10:28:38 AM  Show Profile
Tammy -- May I encourage you on your new eating plan? I went off coffee/chocolate/processed foods in March -- followed the low-sodium DASH diet found on the Mayo Clinic website -- combined that with lots of morning walks (40-50 minutes 6 days a week) and I've shed 55 pounds. I feel better than I have in years. You can look forward to much better health by making those changes at your age -- I'm 54 years old and carried the extra weight all through my forties. And you're just 40 -- you will feel great!!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  12:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh Tammy, I"m so sorry you had to put off going to the doctor, I know it must of been a hard choice for you, I understand and no forgivenes needed. You have to do what is best for your family, just get it checked out as soon as you can, don't put it off if it returns to normal again. You should be proud of yourself for the good diet changes, more power to you! I gave up all sodas 4 months ago and I feel so much better, I've also cut back on chocolate, not completely, I only eat dark chocolate, the good kind, in moderation and I don't hardly use salt, so every little bit helps. If only I could do without sugar! Keep us posted! Hugs!

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  8:09:07 PM  Show Profile
On your trip, make sure that you take lots of breaks. Massage your leg often and elevate it. And also, you might want to wear a support hose stocking.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  10:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
..not to be scary or anything...but PLEASE don't massage your leg!!!!!...if it is a clot, massaging can throw it and it can then travel and lodge in places that are much more dangerous...maybe the nurses can give more info on this, but when I went to nursing school (a while back!) massaging a leg with a possible clot was a BIG no no! For bad circulation they are great, but with a possibility of a clot, they are life risking!!

Sorry I am a very laid back and calm person (as you saw with my first post..I know all the bad things everyone talked about..I went into CHF before and have known many with a clot) when it comes to medical things..sometimes I think the fear itself is worse then the problem!! But in this case...I had to say something!!!! NO MASSAGES PLEASE!!!
I will be praying that you will be alright until things work out, I totally understand the situation, have been there myself. I am glad the detox is helping. Please take care!
Hugz!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Edema?? Left foot swelling Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page