True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  12:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

I'm surprized no one has mentioned tips on avoiding heat stress/stroke. Or maybe this one is in the archives??

Of course, drinking water is the obvious, the sports drinks are good for electrolyte and salt replacement. I'm a cyclist, and recommend those liquid GU packets. It's basically 100 quick calories of carbs, but can get you through serious weeding or even hay bucking sessions when you can't or just don't don't want to take a break.

Another tidbit we were taught in highschool band. Caffiene not only acts like a diuretic, but it also blocks or hinders the heat-regulating sensor in your brain. So it could be 90 degrees outside , but your body won't be receiving the correct input internally, and next thing you know, you are passed out or heat stressed because the signals were blocked and your CORE body tempperature is too high! I'm still a diet Pepsi junkie, but try and chug more water....especially if i'm out berry picking or tending to the garden.

Heat stroke is not a fun thing to experience!

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  11:01:45 PM  Show Profile
Good tips! I know that by the time you "feel" thirsty, your body is already dehydrated - so I always try to "overwater" myself by a bit so I don't feel thirsty. With the weather how it is, I feel like I need to drink a gallon a day!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  2:35:23 PM  Show Profile
I read an interesting tidbit once that said if you need to take a tylenol or aspirin for a headache, chances are it's actually the water that makes your headache go away, not the pill. Our bodies are constantly dehydrated and we don't even realize it a lot of the time.
I went bike riding earlier this week after dinner and misjudged how warm it was. After 50 minutes in the heat, I wasn't in good shape. I drank water all night and stayed in the cool shade.
Stay cool everybody.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  8:58:43 PM  Show Profile
I also read that when you feel hungrey and it has been not been too long between meals, drink water. That is one way the body tells us it needs a drink !!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  9:24:47 PM  Show Profile
ha! here's my tip: find an air-conditioned ANTIQUES SHOPPE and have a lovely afternoon looking for treasures! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  04:03:25 AM  Show Profile
Didn't have time to mention this in my first post, but it's good to know.

Caffiene is not only a diuretic, it also messes up the heat regulating portion of the brain. Not many people known this. So if it's 90 outside, and core body temp is starting to rise to above 100, you'll be in far worse trouble because the brain isn't receiving accurate information to cool the body like it should.

Same applies for meds that contain caffiene .

We were given this little tidbit 20 years ago each year prior to starting the marching band season.If anyone out there was also in the band, you know all about standing at attention for what seemed like hours! Mom is a registered nurse and was able to provide good info. Typically camp was in August, so you know it was uncomfortable. Water ... water ....water!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic heat stress Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page