Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What is the best pressure cooker?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is the best pressure cooker? Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  5:54:24 PM  Show Profile
I want to start canning with a pressure cooker so I can do green beans, beets, meat, etc. I use to can with my MIL years ago, but can't remember what brand she had and I know they have changed since then. I would like one that does eight/nine quarts at a time.

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  6:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Most brands come in a few sizes. I have the big Presto pressure cooker. I've used it for the last 4 years and have had no problems with it. Just make sure you get a well known brand so replacement parts won't be a problem if you need them.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  6:37:17 PM  Show Profile
I also have a Presto and really like mine and have had no problems.
Tina
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  6:48:49 PM  Show Profile
I have a Presto because I can easily get parts here. All American is supposed to be a great brand, though a bit pricey for my budget.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  9:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Kem, be sure that you get a pressure canner and not just a pressure cooker. A pressure cooker only has one pressure weight while the canner has either a gauge or a multiple pressure weight. Presto is a good brand as is Mirro. I have a 12 quart Mirro (does 8 quarts) that does not have the gauge - just the round weight for multiple pressure amounts. I love it. I had thought about getting a larger one, but am glad that I did not because of how heavy the bigger ones are. Even though I can't can as many jars as in a huge one, it is a workable weight that I can handle without any help.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

Edited by - Okie Farm Girl on Jun 22 2011 10:30:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  06:46:17 AM  Show Profile
Everyone has an opinion on which is the best pressure canner, and I am no different. I am an All-American owner/lover! I currently own 2 of them and am in the market for a third if I found it at a rummage sale or sometihing. I own the 921 which is the 21 1/2 quart which does 7 quarts or 16 pints, this is my main canner. The other one is the 930 which does 14 quarts or 16 pints. There are times when I have both of them going at once. Yes these are more expensive canners, but they will most likely out live me! The AA canners don't have any gasquets to replace and have both the jiggler and pressure guage on them. Best of all they are made in the USA. If you watch ebay and estate/garage sales you can pick them up for a lesser price. Oh yeah I bought extra racks to go in mine and when we can tuna we use the wide mouth half pint jars so I was able to put 21 jars in the 921 and 28 in the 930. In my opinion well worth the investment!!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  8:12:57 PM  Show Profile
I have a Mirro that the gaskit failed on me and ruined a batch of green beans, that was very frustrating. Now I have an All American, which is great. The website canningusa.com has a sale price with free shipping when I checked a couple of weeks ago.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  6:15:47 PM  Show Profile
We were at an estate sale today and I bought a 17 quart (older, now they make the 16 qt) Presto Canner for $15. It was missing the weight but we went online and ordered a new weight and gaskets. I will need to get the dial checked and then it will be ready to use. I have wanted an All-American but figure this will do in the meantime and I'll be able to have two canners when I finally get the money for the AA!
Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  4:03:08 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 Fagor brand pressure cookers, the larger has a canning basket. My mother and brother do a lot of canning and they both have Fagor brand pressure cookers. I mostly use mine to cook down apples before putting them through the squeezo strainer - I freeze my sauces because it's easier for me & I have the freezer room. Whatever brand, just make sure it's easy to use. I love the ease of use of my pressure cookers.

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is the best pressure cooker? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page