walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  07:39:16 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to know what brand of tea you all use-around here everyone uses either Lipton or Luzianne. I use Lipton, and for my half gallon container I use 12 teabags (I like it strong!) I just make the water hot and steep it in the fridge, I don't boil the water. I also use splenda to sweeten it.

Do you have any secrets to your tea? I also buy peach tea, and jasmine bloom tea from Adagio teas. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  07:51:32 AM  Show Profile
I use the red rose tea. it has the cute figureens that you can collect. when it is on sale i buy boxes. i boil 10 tea bags than pour into a 1 gallon pitcher, with out the tea bags. than put some more water in the same pot and 1 1/2 cups sugar and heat up & stir till the sugar melts. than put in to the pitcher. you can ad a 1/2 or hole lemmon squeesed to taste ( put the lemmon in the pitcher).
we go through a gallon a daysome days i have been known to make 3 gallons if we are haveing company. it is usually gone by the end of the day...

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  07:59:21 AM  Show Profile
That's the kind of tea my mom used! I'd forgotten about those cute little figurines! I'll have to look for that brand at my meijer.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  3:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I use the Luzianne but I always add a couple of flavored herb tea bags too and no sugar.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  5:36:03 PM  Show Profile
We use Luzianne also. I like Red Rose but only for hot tea, it seems to develop a bitter flavor to us when iced.

I buy the family size teabags and use 4 per half gallon of filtered water. I let it steep in the sun for a day or two to develop more flavor. I add 1/4 cup lemon juice and sugar to a gallon jug, add the tea and top off with water. Finally after years of trying different recipes for my husband, we found 'the one'. I have added anywhere from 1 cup to 2 cups sugar, I prefer less but my husband has even more of a sweet tooth than me :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  7:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
We use Lipton - two family sized tea bags for a gallon of tea. I always bring my water (about 1 qt.) to a boil then add the bags - something special about aerating the water makes the flavor better. I let the bags boil maybe 1 minute, then turn it off. I let it steep (until I need it) or until it's room temp. If you wait too long, the tannins in the tea will make it cloudy. I've heard this can be prevented by adding a pinch of salt, but have never tried it myself. We drink unsweet, but used to use about 3/4 to 1 c. of sugar per gallon. We add fresh lemon to taste when the mood strikes us.

I enjoy English Breakfast every morning - same routine - but I add a bit of milk and sugar to it. I like it weak, so I just bring water to a boil, pour it over my bag, dunk it a few times and compost. I like flavored teas in the summer - peach and raspberry are my favorites. I like to let them steep longer and drink them cold or over ice.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  08:51:57 AM  Show Profile
lol, those above make me think of my gram and her sweet tea! We are boring here i guess. We fill the pitcher with water, stick a bit of tea (we have a cupboard full of numerous herbal blends)bags or loose ball, then set plastic wrap on top and set on back deck. Later we just add ice as we pour. Usually by evening the pitcher is empty. It took a few years to get hubby to enjoy tea, now he nor daughter can drink it sweet.

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  6:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Lipton is my favorite, but with money being tight I started drinking Kroger brand tea which is pretty good. We get the family bags and use 2 per gallon. I also add in a couple of bags of green tea and it's really good. I've got several other teas that I like to drink by the cup sometimes--white tea, green tea, blackberry tea, forest berry tea, jasmine tea, korean tea (has a real woody flavor). My husband likes to add a pink of baking soda to the tea when he makes it as it takes out some of the acidity (so I've been told) it does taste different than when I make it and don't add the baking soda.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

AmericanHwyFlower
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

A.R.
Yorba Linda CA
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  11:46:38 PM  Show Profile
lipton tea for sun tea is a big favorite here..... my grandmommy got me hooked on this tradition.

Cherish Each Day
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  12:02:22 AM  Show Profile
It seems like everyone's Granny drank tea (including mine)! Granny tied a few (maybe five or six) Lipton tea bags together and twisted the strings in the lid of a giant glass pickle jar she saved, filled it with plain tap water, then she put it on the porch in the sun for a while. (When she lived in Flint, MI --not the safest city in the country --it got stolen right off the porch a couple of times.) She never sweetened it, and she liked her tea really weak, so she cut it half-and-half with water and ice.

She also drank it out of the same cup everyday for years...inexplicably a Michelob insulated mug. I don't know where in the world she got that mug, since she never drank and Grandaddy only drank Blue Ribbon! Every kid in the neighborhood used that cup like it was a drinking fountain...we'd run like crazy in the summer heat, then run into the house, grab the mug off the table next to her chair, take a swig, and run back outside. I don't remember anyone being so concerned about germs in them days!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  02:53:32 AM  Show Profile
jessie, I just love this memory of your grandmother. What a wonderful reminder of how things were and still can be!
quote:
Originally posted by JessieMae

It seems like everyone's Granny drank tea (including mine)! Granny tied a few (maybe five or six) Lipton tea bags together and twisted the strings in the lid of a giant glass pickle jar she saved, filled it with plain tap water, then she put it on the porch in the sun for a while. (When she lived in Flint, MI --not the safest city in the country --it got stolen right off the porch a couple of times.) She never sweetened it, and she liked her tea really weak, so she cut it half-and-half with water and ice.

She also drank it out of the same cup everyday for years...inexplicably a Michelob insulated mug. I don't know where in the world she got that mug, since she never drank and Grandaddy only drank Blue Ribbon! Every kid in the neighborhood used that cup like it was a drinking fountain...we'd run like crazy in the summer heat, then run into the house, grab the mug off the table next to her chair, take a swig, and run back outside. I don't remember anyone being so concerned about germs in them days!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

http://www.birchtreefarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  09:04:10 AM  Show Profile
We use Lipton family sized tea bags, for one gallon of tea--found at Sam's Club. One tea bag in the coffee maker with 6 cups water, brew the tea, add the concentrated tea and 1 cup sugar to the one gallon pitcher and fill the rest of the way with water. Serve over ice. yum! Love sweet tea!

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  1:10:56 PM  Show Profile
jessie, love it!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  1:38:21 PM  Show Profile
I've been putting mint in my sweet tea. YUM.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  9:54:31 PM  Show Profile
i just love tea!

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  4:09:34 PM  Show Profile
I only drink herbal or green tea and use various different brands. My favorite green tea brand is by Bigelow which is grown on the only remaining tea plantation in the US on Wadmalaw Island, South Carolina.

http://www.charlestonteaplantation.com/

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  4:36:47 PM  Show Profile
My favorite tea- hot or cold - is Tetley's British Blend. I prefer my iced tea without sugar, but my BF loves sweet tea. So to compromise we make a large batch of sun tea and then let each person sweeten theirs to taste. Occasionally I add some fresh herbs like lemonbalm or mint to add a twist but usually I like it best plain with a slice of lemon. When I can find it at the local German deli, I also enjoy Ricola herb tea with ice.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  5:31:26 PM  Show Profile
For just grabbing a glass and going, we use either Lipton or Luzianne or Cain's and make it in our Mr. Coffee Ice Tea maker. But I am not supposed to have too much caffeine, so I make myself the decaffeinated once in awhile. However, my favorite teas, iced or hot, are the ones I carry at the website and I drink a ton of the decaffeinated blueberry/vanilla hot or cold. Today, I am sipping on the bad stuff with caffeine! :-) I used three tsp of the Strawberry Tropic in an infuser, steeped it for 4 minutes in three cups of water and then poured that into a quart jar and filled it the rest of the way with water. I added just enough Truvia to make it a tad sweet and let it cool. Now I am drinking it over ice and the rest will go into the frig. My friend drinks the French Creme Brulee tea as iced tea. She buys it from me by the pound! Haven't tried that yet. Sounds a little funky!! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  03:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Great information about the last tea plantation in the U.S., MEWolf! I didn't know we ever grew any tea in the U.S. Good to know for those of us trying to buy locally (S.C. is not local to me, but still better than from overseas or Mexico).

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

DeeDee
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Denise
Wyoming
162 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  08:18:47 AM  Show Profile
For the last few months I have been making our iced tea with PG Tips loose tea. I just boil water and add it to my little tea brewer that I line with a coffee filter and steep for 5 minutes. I like my tea strong and thats how I always make it. We have used Lipton for over 30 years and it makes a great pitcher of tea. We don't like our iced tea sweetened.

“Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.”
Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  3:37:41 PM  Show Profile
I use either Tetley decaf Green or Bromley decaf Green Tea. For a 1/2 gallon pitcher I use 8 teabags. I microwave 4c water w/ the teabags and let it steep for a good while, until luke warm. I fill my pitcher with ice and then pour over the strong tea. I used to use just decaf black tetley or bromley, but I like the flavor of the decaf green. I don't care for Lipton as it's always tasted weak to me. I don't add sugar, but sometimes add a splash of lemonade or OJ.

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Iced Tea Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page