Printer Friendly
Author Try This: Previous Topic Hair thinkness and growing it out Next Topic  

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  6:09:51 PM  Show Profile
I us to have thicker hair then now.I was wondering if there is something Home Rememdy that I could it back to being thicker and I am also growing it out could someone give me some tips on how to get it to grow a little faster then it does. Thanks much girls

"COURAGE is being scared to death,
but saddling up anyway. -John Wayne"

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  2:11:24 PM  Show Profile
I used to have thick hair until after I started having kids, now it's pretty thin although I still have what my hair lady says is thick. The hair shaft itself is thin but I have tons of it so I have fine thick hair. Some people have fine fine hair, some have thick fine hair (opposite of mine) and thick thick hair. You need to eat properly (hair is mostly made of protein according to what I have been told) I am no expert on this just what has worked for me. I buy really good shampoo/ conditioner and I usually go for organic stuff. It's just important to find out what works best for your hair. I do change my hair care around because after awhile you can get a build up which causes breakage, which causes split ends and that doesn't help you grow out your hair either. I used to have hair past my rear end but then I started going shorter and shorter. I found when I'm pregnant I put on a lot of extra inches of length than usually and it's already grown 2 inches in the 4 months of me being pregnant. I cut my hair the very end of December all the way up to my shoulders and now its past my shoulders. I would like to grow my hair out long like it used to be. If the feeling of thickness (or lack of) bugs you, find a good hair dresser and ask them about products. I find what I get at walmart and stores like that dries my hair out so I have to use more hair oil on it. I hate that so I buy salon stuff. Again, I prefer organic and if I cant find something decent that is organic I usually go for Aveda products or something from a decently "green" company. That's just my preference. I noticed my hair has been dryer and pretty flat so I'm going to see the lady who does my hair in the morning to see what product I should use on it so I can get my body back in my hair. Hormones do crazy things to our bodies, including our hair! Hope that helps. :)

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  7:04:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much wonderful advice could you tell me what kind of Organic Shampoo you use and where I could find some good stuff.

"COURAGE is being scared to death,
but saddling up anyway. -John Wayne"

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  08:20:05 AM  Show Profile
I just switched to Aubrey Organics shampoo because it's recommended in the book, "There's lead in your lipstick" by Gillian Deacon. Apparently lots of so-called organic shampoos have hardly any organics in them, but Aubrey is highly recommended. It's pricey, but works well. I have very thick hair...usually don't get much lather from the first wash, but great lather from the second time. It takes a lot of water to wet all my hair!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  3:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Susie, I use Lush Cosmetics shampoo and conditioner:

www.lush.com

And I LOVE it. Their R&B conditioner is GREAT. Lush products seem expensive, but their solid shampoos last MONTHS, and their products REALLY work. Once a week I do a deep treatment with one of their good conditioners in a 50/50 ratio with honey (One of their heavy duty conditioners like R&B, jungle, or Recon). I also use American Cream as a leave in. I swear by their products!

They're also ALL organic and mostly vegan!! (Some products contain honey)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Edited by - walkinwalkoutcattle on May 27 2011 3:25:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  11:15:37 AM  Show Profile
I use phyto organix by Nexxus and Nature's Gate red tea and fig for dry/damaged hair. I LOVE the way the Nature's Gate smells. I use the Nature's Gate on my kids and it really is "tearless" if the suds get into their eyes!

Megan, I will have to look that up, I've been wanting to try one of the organic products containing honey. I've heard it does wonders on dry/damaged hair!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

DONNA Q
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

DONNA
LUBBOCK TX
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  6:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Susie, I was a hairdresser for 30 some years. During that time I abused my hair to no end. I did use all the best products but even so my hair would not get longer than just below my shoulders before it looked so bad cutting it off was the only way to get it to look healthy again. When I retired my hair was only about 2’’ long all over. I really hated short hair (very limiting). Then I came across Mary Janes site and read about using baking soda and apple cider vinegar as shampoo and conditioner. I decided to give it a try to see how my hair would respond. After about 6 months I noticed a lot, and I mean a lot, of new hair coming in. Not sure if this had anything to do with it but I was excited about it. I thought maybe the baking soda cleared out a lot of build up on my scalp, not sure, but I know my hair is thicker now. I don’t use heat on it much at all now, only the blow dryer every now and then and held at a safe distance from my hair and I never use a hot iron. My hair is now to my waist and very healthy! I sometimes sleep in rag rollers when I’m tired of straight and I have had so much fun with all the different ways I can fix it. I use 3 T spoons of baking soda mixed in about 1 & 1/2 cups of water and about 1 /4 cup of vinegar in 2 cups of water. Just rinse well after using each one. You might give this a try who knows it might work for you too.

GOD BLESS
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  09:45:04 AM  Show Profile
Just a note to remember to about stree on your hair/nails from the inside. Usually when you see your hair shedding a lot, nails splitting, breaking more than normal this is not from anything you are currently doing but from something 4-6 months ago. (stress, illness, medications, etc) Folks forget this :)

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  1:25:39 PM  Show Profile
Hypothyroidism also causes hair loss. Ever try a Rosemary rinse?

Donna...I am going to try your recipe.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  4:13:10 PM  Show Profile
I used to have thick, thick hair to the point I had to have it thinned..now..after going through menopause it has thinned out alot. I live in the desert part of arizona..it is so dry here....my hair is curly.but when it's so dry, my hair is dry and won't curl...after washing hair.i use a detangler, then I use jojoba oil and rosemary eo...it help with frizzess, dryness and keeps hair conditioned at same time.. Paula
a

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  8:57:45 PM  Show Profile
I had quite a bit of hair loss and read that biotin is a great supplement. I've been on it for over a year and have seen rapid growth and re-growth of the hair I had lost. I'm a believer!

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  06:19:38 AM  Show Profile
Pregnancy vitamins work really well for hair and nails! Just make sure there is no underlying health problem associated with your hair loss. Good article about hair loss in women:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/features/women-hair-loss-causes

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  05:21:39 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls. Lots of good points here. What I tell my clients in my salon is see your dr and make sure its not a medical problem or a result of medication. Hair gets "skinnier" the diameter gets smaller as we age and this makes it feel thinner also. Baking soda is a great clarifier to remove build up. Lots of people with this problem use too much hairspray so the soda cleanses that. Vinegar not only adds shine but is good for dry scalp.Donna I laughed at your comment about your hair during that 30 years. We have "easy access" and do more than the average person would and know we can fix it if need be lol.Krystal talked about split end. The only true way to get rid of them is a trim or they keep splitting up the shaft. The hair is growing out from the scalp but the split ends are keeping you from realizing it. Hang in there. Its hard to be patient while hair goes thru stages and stress wont help.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  3:01:36 PM  Show Profile
I use the biotin too - shampoo and conditioner and also pills. My fingernails really grow a lot faster taking the pills and have to file them down more, but don't care. Just means the biotin is working. I also try and not put a lot of "gunk" in my hair when I can get away with it and I too don't use a blow dryer - just let it go natural. I have very fine and thin hair and because I have hypothyrodisim I lose a great deal of hair. That's why the use of the biotin on my hair and the pills. Also trying to grown mine out too and seems like it's stuck and not growing - sort of like being on a diet and not being able to lose the last five or ten pounds! Hate it.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  2:41:34 PM  Show Profile
Also, put your hair up at night. That'll help with breakage.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

luckilady
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Jennifer
Loxahatchee Fl
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  08:15:51 AM  Show Profile
I hear so much about these Lush products, I think I am going to try their shampoo and conditioner this week. Also, I am picking up the biotin. Thanks Ladies for the tips and info, anything that might help I am grateful for!

~Jennifer

Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. ~ John Maxwell

Farmgirl Sister #3375
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  5:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Luckilady I can send you a few samples if you'd like! Email my your address! :)

Go to Top of Page

luckilady
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Jennifer
Loxahatchee Fl
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  7:02:59 PM  Show Profile
I emailed, Thanks so much! BTW, I love your quote :)

~Jennifer

Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. ~ John Maxwell

Farmgirl Sister #3375
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Hair thinkness and growing it out Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page