Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 HELP! Fridge door left open from Midnight til 7am
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic HELP! Fridge door left open from Midnight til 7am Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  05:59:37 AM  Show Profile
Ugh. I'm so angry at myself--what can I salvage? I don't have the a/c on and everything felt the same temp as the air in the house--not hot, just room temp--it's been about 56 here in the evenings. I'm REALLY sad, because I just got all my organic delivery of milk and cheeses.

What about eggs? They came from the CSA on Saturday, picked up from the hens that morning. What about cheese? I'm pretty sure butter is ok--I leave it on the counter and still use it. What about veggies and fruit in the crisper? Condiments?

I'm so mad at myself, but it's the relationship I have with this fridge--the door just never seems to "seal" and there doesn't seem to be a happy medium on the door--too heavy, it sort of "hangs" and doesn't close, too light, the same.

Last night, Violet wanted milk and I awoke from just falling asleep to go get her some and I guess I just didn't send the door flying like I normally do.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  06:16:43 AM  Show Profile
The cheese will be fine if it is packaged and the vaccuum is still there, as will be the butter and possibly even the milk. If the cheese has lost its vaccuum, you can either shred it and freeze it shredded or you can can it. It is meat that is most concerning when that kind of thing happens. If you had any meat, then it needs to be cooked today. You can freeze it cooked or even can it. Your eggs should be fine too. I hate it when that happens! My freezer does that on occassion and so we have to really watch.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  06:21:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Mary Beth. The vacuum was still on the goat cheese--I'll check the milk tonight, but it's not that big a deal to get more. I had planned on going to the store for some additional items, but grrrr. Not THAT many! I don't have any meats inside, but I do have some leftovers and loooooots of condiments.

I better call my dh before he goes mercernary on the contents!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  06:28:14 AM  Show Profile
many of the condiments if they are in a vinegar or mustard type base should be allright. The milk i would look at making yogurt or a quick-pot mozzarella cheese and use it soon. Your veggies and fruits should be fine as well. A few things may be slightly wilted but could be saved in a quick stir fry or crock pot stew.Or even chopped and frozen for a fall stew! :)

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  09:21:04 AM  Show Profile
If it was still "cool" I wouldn't worry to much about things. I know that the board of health would have a coniption fit, but we've left things on the counter over night and then put them in the fridge and they were fine.

Most of the condiment stuff should be ok. And fruits and veggies should be good. I leave my butter on the counter for days and it does just fine. Even the milk I wouldn't worry about so long as it is back in the fridge and you are going to use it up.

But if you are worried about anything, then go with your own promptings. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  2:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If the milk smells fine- you probably don't have to worry too much, but I would use it up in the next day or so. Also the egs should be fine if they are farm fresh eggs. They can actually sit out for quite a long time before turning bad. Just smell them as you crack them. We have had this happen to us when our fridge freezes up and I was amazed at how much temperature variation a lot of things can handle!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic HELP! Fridge door left open from Midnight til 7am Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page