walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  09:30:09 AM  Show Profile
I had no idea you could do this until last Christmastime-but did you know that if you add cinnamon to your coffee grounds in the coffeemaker it adds a wonderful cinnamon taste? I want to try pumpkin pie spice, next! :) Do you add anything else in with your grounds for brewing?

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  09:37:50 AM  Show Profile
Megan, we add cinnamon to our grounds and have used the pumpkin pie spice. My grandchildren love coffee(yes nana lets them drink it) during the holidays, give them a peppermint stick to stir their coffee with. They thinks its a special treat. And I think its pretty good to. My sil puts cocoa in her grounds (like Hersheys) and it gives it a mocha taste. We just sir in liquid chocolate or caramel. Its fun to experiment. Have fun! Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  5:46:35 PM  Show Profile
hi megan, i add a chai spice tea bag to my coffee basket with the grounds. use one or two to your taste. sometimes i use two, then cool it. add some cream, or coffeemate creamer and ice. no paying starbucks price. i can have it whenever i want.. yum........paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  04:43:21 AM  Show Profile
I am a huge coffee drinker and never knew of these tips. Thanks girls. I am sitting here with coffee and cream and suddenly it tastes bland :)
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  05:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I'm with Lea, I've never heard of these tips! Gonna have to give it a try, especially the pumpkin pie spice! YUM!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  06:33:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

We cut stems of fresh mint from the garden and put it right in the coffee pot while the coffee is brewing - stem and all. It's a trick I learned from some dear friends back in Rhode Island. It is WONDERFULLY refreshing - and if you like iced coffee, WOW!!!

I've added vanilla bean to our grounds at the holidays, too - yummy. You can also just add vanilla or other extract to your cream or milk if you like. :) I am also a big fan of Starbucks mint mocha coffee at the holiday. I make it from scratch using crushed mints and chocolate chips, with whipped cream and mini chocolate chips on top - not too often, though: NOT good for the hips!!! LOL!

Megan, pumpkin pie spice added to your grounds is delicious, too. You will love it!

Linda, I never thought to add cocoa before, but thanks for the tip - I love mocha!!!

Can't wait to see what other ideas the girls share! Thanks for posting, Megan!!!

- Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  07:53:28 AM  Show Profile
I add 6 whole cloves to mine, but not so much for taste. I do it because I have some major teeth problems. The clove oil that seeps out during brewing makes a natural pain killer for me. I do enjoy the flavor and everyone always comments that my coffee tastes better than theirs. I just grin and tell them I blend my own from different kinds.

I do mix several different roasts together to get a better flavor, but the comments didn't begin till after I found the clove tooth fix! Wink! Wink!

I do enjoy my little secrets! No matter how little they may be! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  09:13:51 AM  Show Profile
I have tried the cinnamon, but the others sound great too, will have to try them. My daughter is a Barista at a local coffee house, she loves it and i get to try new things all the time. So fun.

I put the used coffee grounds in my "garden" (its a potted tomato plant haha) but my neighbor has a garden and he puts coffee grounds- filter and all in his garden and compost pile. I hope my tomatoes do better this year.

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  09:33:30 AM  Show Profile
great ideas thanx girls

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

OKCookee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Chris
Oklahoma OK
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  12:43:33 PM  Show Profile
We love our coffee - and tea. We never throw out leftover coffee - just refrigerate and make into cold coffee. We use raw goat's milk we buy from a local farmer and don't even need sugar. But the additions mentioned above would make it even better. Have some chocolate mint growing - will have to throw that into our coffee maker. When our electric coffee maker died, we started using our camp perculator - will never go back to the electric one. Hugs, Chris

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest".
Matthew 11:28

Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  12:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Try a French Press, no need for an electric coffee maker, just boil water pour in with grounds, steep 4 mins, strain. Makes a stronger/richer tasting coffee we think.

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  1:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas. I hope to try some tomorrow morning!

Thanks Michele
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  04:51:43 AM  Show Profile

Mariebelle, you are so right! French press coffee (and percolator coffee) are so yummy. That mint tip is awesome, since I LOVE mint and have an abundance! I'm definitely trying that next time!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  08:02:42 AM  Show Profile
We buy ours in beans and grind it for each use. We order Thomas Hammer on line, so far that's our favorite brand. The coffee house our daughter works at uses Stumptown, out of Seattle, that would be my second favorite. We keep our unused beans in the freezer. I will have to try the mint- it sounds weird, but if you say so...

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  9:42:46 PM  Show Profile
We like Gevalia coffee and have been using it since 1999. I have tried cinnamon sticks in the brewing basket, but now I'm going to try some of these other ideas. Thanks Girls!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  12:55:14 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea! My sister always sprinkles cinnamon into her freshly poured cup of coffee, I will have to tell her about adding it to her grounds before brewing. Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  6:51:27 PM  Show Profile
I grow lots of mint as well. Will have to try that in my coffee, Ice coffee is my favorite. Will have to try the chocolate in it. How much coco do you put in?

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  7:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Debra I called and ask my sil how much does she put in. she said for a 12 cup pot she used 1/4 cup of cocoa, but she said she likes it strong w/the mocha taste. So you have to experiment!
She loves it with mint thrown in also. Enjoy! Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  8:10:33 PM  Show Profile
I like to put a little nutmeg in the grounds to brew...SO good!

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Crystal Koelzer
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Crystal
Cosby MO
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  10:04:02 PM  Show Profile
So I read this topic this weekend and had to make a pot of coffee in the middle of the afternoon to try it. Now I am hooked. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  08:11:08 AM  Show Profile
I did the cinnamon in the grounds. Loved it. Thank you. One of the moms showed up at the 4h meeting last night with a handful of fresh picked mint and gals were putting it in their ice tea and shaking it up. I would have thought it needed to be added to a hot beverage to release the flavor but they said no. Learn something every day!
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  09:01:17 AM  Show Profile
The coffee cart at our office building sells "Holiday Blend" during the winter that tastes like pumpkin pie spice. I wonder if that is not what he is doing. How much cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice do you all use for a 12 cup pot?

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  09:43:13 AM  Show Profile
I'd say a couple tablespoons, but it depends on your tastes, really! :) Start out with a tablespoon or so and work your way up! :)

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  6:36:44 PM  Show Profile
I have heard of a lot of these tips but I never tried them. Tomorrow morning I am going to use Pumpkin Pie spice then drink it outside and watch the sun come up! Yay!!! I wonder what Lemon Verbena would be like in coffee, I sure like to use it for tea and such. . . hmmm got me thinking!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cinnamon Coffee Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page