Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic looking for cold recipes Next Topic  

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  07:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Since it is so hot here in east texas, i need recipes for stuff that you serve cold. We can only eat so many sandwiches..lol. Any one have some good ones to share?

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  08:02:30 AM  Show Profile
Brandee, I love cold chicken salad on these HOT Alabama days, served on a bed of lettuce. I boil breast until falling off the bone. Debone breast and chop into bite size pieces. Add mayo however much you like. Add toasted, choped pecans,and slices red grapes. You can add celery for crunch if you like. Mix all and chill. Actually better the next day. Serve with gourmet crackers.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  08:04:26 AM  Show Profile
If you had chicken left over you could do a wrap for a sandwich variation. Just changing the shape relieves the boredom a bit. : )
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  08:19:11 AM  Show Profile
How about some cold taco's using shredded chicken...that is always yummy. Also fish taco's - my adaptation is leftover fish like flounder, haddock, cod - or even leftover fish sticks - cold. Slap some coleslaw on it and stick it in a shell or soft taco wrap.

Kate
Farmgirl Sister #862

Edited by - quiltin_kate on Jun 13 2011 08:27:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  08:32:04 AM  Show Profile
Also - if you can tolerate cooking some macaroni elbows, Mom used to make a Tuna-Macaroni or a Salmon-Macaroni Salad. It had eggs, celery, shredded carrots, chopped onion, a can of tuna or salmon and mayo or miracle whip.

Kate
Farmgirl Sister #862

Edited by - quiltin_kate on Jun 13 2011 08:33:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  09:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
keep them coming!! the only way i can cook right now is electric skillet, crock pot or bbq grill. We are remodeling so have no cook stove at this point in time...lol Also my microwave died so no micro to help..lol

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  11:53:04 AM  Show Profile
How about potato pancakes with shredded veggies in them. Toped with cold homemade applesauce or fresh berries. You could make a bread salad which is very filling and refreshing. I many times when it is really hot just slice some fresh fruit, some cheeses and crackers or homemade bread which I do in my machine in the middle of the night. I do most of my cooking in the middle of the night and the before the sun rises pack it all up and do the dishes and then when the sun is high and hot everything is done and I still eat well. Also there is corn and black bean salad with some spicy chicken on the side - all served cold and so yummy with freah lime squeezed on the top just before serving. Cottage Cheese with fresh fruits and veggies on the side with a sweet bread served on the side which was baked in a crock pot during the night. Hope that helps some can't wait to hear from otheres.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  4:32:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by homsteddinmom

Since it is so hot here in east texas, i need recipes for stuff that you serve cold. We can only eat so many sandwiches..lol. Any one have some good ones to share?

Hey There Sisters! here is a link to some responses to a similar question I asked a little bit ago! Hope you find some inspiration here---I did when it comes to boiling water outside :0). Enjoy...
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51002

Married to my High School sweetie for 22+ years. Stay at home mom to the amazing 4--Megs (19), Ryan(17), Josh (14), Zack (13). A born and raised Brooklyn, NY chickie girl that has been trying to figure out this country thing in PA for the past dozen years!
"The thing about family disasters is that you never have to wait long before the next one puts the previous one into perspective." ~Robert Brault
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  6:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Grace, would you share your sweet bread cooked in the crock pot recipe?
Brandee, it was so hot here today, I made the chicken salad. Lol
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  7:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Here are some of the recipes my husband and I enkoy;

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Confetti-Couscous-2

for this recipe use the sweetened cranberries

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Italian-Basil-Pasta-Salad

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Ranch-Pasta-Salad

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  05:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
thanks alot everyone!! I do use the crock pots alot and have put in a request for dh to build me a solar oven so i can utilize the 100+ degree days and the sun to cook!

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  1:53:37 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE fresh grapes, celery and rosemary in my chicken salad. I prefer to make it with miracle whip but mayo is pretty good too.

I keep canned chicken on hand and mix it up when the power goes out in monsoon season and it really takes a lot of the sting out of having no electricity at dinner time.

If your family likes fish you might try your hand at some sushi. (I don't care for fish, so I use imitation crab flakes, chicken breast or cooked shrimp in my rolls)
You need "nori" sheets of seaweed, sticky rice (boil white rice until cooked, and add 1/4 cup of corn syrup to make it sticky)
lay down a sheet of nori, spread the rice in a thin layer (I like 1/8" - 1/4")for a california roll put in crab flakes, avocado and shredded carrots, roll it up and slice it. Shrimp and cream cheese go well together, as does chicken with teriyaki sauce on the side. None of those suggestions are a raw food.

But it you're feeling really adventurous, pick up some tuna steaks, slice them small, and serve the piece on top of a sticky rice ball.

Japanese cooking is a good thing to look up online for more ideas for you, traditionally most japanese households have tiny kitchens, may or may not have an oven, and a lot of finger foods are meant to be eaten cold.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic looking for cold recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page