Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2005 :  07:36:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site. I am a "chain-reader", meaning I read tons of everything I can get my hands on. I sew, quilt, cook, crochet, while I raise my two kids, husband and my Brittany Spaniel (a great dog breed for the country!). Lately, I have started looking for Gladys Taber books. Does anyone remember her? I remember reading her magazine articles and books growing up in the 60's...all about living on the author's Connecticut farm where she raised Spaniels. These are the coziest books...beautiful pieces on the seasons, gardening, baking, all written during a simpler time. I'd like to hear from anyone who is familiar with Gladys Taber's writings. Also, by the way, someone mentioned The Mermaids Singing by Lisa Carey. Her other book is In The Country of the Young...absolutely sensational read.

"Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light." Roethke

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2005 :  11:49:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa and Welcome! Sounds like you are our kind of farmgirl! We are always interested in a good read as you can tell from this topic!
I have The Mermaids Singing on my night stand right now, it's good to know there is more to read. Gladys Taber sounds very familiar... will have to check at the library and see if there are any. I think I'll look for that herb book Susan mentioned too! On that note it's time to do the Mom's taxi thing and maybe swing by the library since we've got a long weekend with snow in the forecast! Look forward to hearing more from you!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2005 :  1:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa,
Welcome aboard! I just went to my library and picked up "In the country of the young" I loved Mermaids singing. Thankyou for the tip.You are gonna love it here! I have read more very wonderful books since I came to this site thanks to all of the great people who post here, than I had read over the past 6 years. I cannot seem to get enough of the great suggestions here.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2005 :  06:32:17 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bramble

Hi Melissa and Welcome! Sounds like you are our kind of farmgirl! We are always interested in a good read as you can tell from this topic!
I have The Mermaids Singing on my night stand right now, it's good to know there is more to read. Gladys Taber sounds very familiar... will have to check at the library and see if there are any. I think I'll look for that herb book Susan mentioned too! On that note it's time to do the Mom's taxi thing and maybe swing by the library since we've got a long weekend with snow in the forecast! Look forward to hearing more from you!

with a happy heart

Go to Top of Page

Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2005 :  06:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bramble. I must be doing something wrong replying, because some of my answers are not showing up here. Just wanted to mention a great series of books for anyone who loves herbs...and history...try reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. The first novel is called Outlander and you need to go in order while reading them. The books are about a nurse who is able to go back and forth in time. While she is "back" in time, she uses her knowledge of herbs and medicine to treat the people she meets and help them survive the tough times they lived in...something as tiny as a small cut could kill a person through blood poisoning. The books have a huge cult following of fans. Gabaldon has a doctorate in Biology and writes like an English major..great writing, fun stories and lots of info to learn along the way.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2005 :  10:15:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa and a big Welcome! Thank you so much for posting about the Gladys Taber books! You brought up a long buried memory of my girlhood in the 60's! I too am a voracious reader and have been since childhood. I remember reading my Mom's Family Circle magazines and the section called "Butternut Wisdom" written by Gladys Taber! Even as a grade schooler I LOVED her column in that magazine! There was always a picture of her little white farmhouse in Connecticut, her gardens and beloved pets. Maybe this grand lady is responsible for getting me to love nature and countryside and simple living, who knows? I would even tear certain articles out and save them! This afternoon I am going to the library to check out some of her books. It's a cold rainy day perfect for renewing a long lost author's works!That is what I love about all who post here... Wonderful ideas and recommendations and stories! Thanks again and look forward to hearing more from you! Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2005 :  10:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Can you list some of the titles of her books. Everytime I go into our library database I get no listings for this name. Sometimes It seems to recognise titles better than authors. Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2005 :  11:46:54 AM  Show Profile
Eileen, Try this link and type in Gladys Taber in the search box...should list all the titles of her books. Hope this helps. Jenny

www.alibris.com

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2005 :  1:40:22 PM  Show Profile
I just logged on to our Regional LIbrary's website and was able to request several of her books to be delivered by mail! I'm looking forward to exploring her work! Thanks for the recommendation, Melissa.
Go to Top of Page

Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2005 :  6:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I came home and checked my email to find such nice responses from all of you. The Gladys Taber books are all out of print, as far as I know. Since I don't use EBAY, I have been ordering them, a few at a time, from Powells in Oregon. If you log on to www.powells.com, you can see everything they have in stock and if you order over $50, the shipping fee is often waived and there is no sales tax! For those of you who aren't familiar with her work, most of her titles carry the name Stillmeadow (her CT farm) in them. Plus she did some books on her place in Cape Cod. I eventually hope to get a good collection of her stuff. What an escape it is to read her books! One of the books I bought still had the original Butternut magazine columns slipped inside! By the way, for those of you who like to read about southern country, Robert Morgan wrote a great book called Gap Creek which I loved. Prodigal Summer by Kingsolver was one of my all-time favorites, too. Another great read is Night Ride Home, can't recall the author right now. I keep a list going so my book buddies can just ring me up and ask me for another title. Unfortunately, I have been hooked on reading the Mitford series lately but I think I will take a break soon (I've just finished the fourth book) and read Baldacci's Wish You Well. Someone on this site mentioned it and I just went out and bought it...looks great! Good luck finding all those books, and thank you for the warm welcome.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2005 :  06:19:17 AM  Show Profile
Silas House is a good author for reading about the mountains of Kentucky. I recently finished "A Parchment of Leaves".

Also recently read "Crow Lake" by Mary Lawson. A great read about a farming family from Canada.

I recommend both of these books. Thank you for the new reading suggestions, Melissa, and welcome to this site! Will look for Gladys Taber - have not read anything of hers.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2005 :  9:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Hello Melissa...I'm brand new to the site. I did a search on my favorite author "Gladys Taber", and found this great site!! Bonus. :)

You can find a great number of her books on eBay and at very good prices. She wrote over 50 books in all, but my favorite will always be the Stillmeadow books. Stillmeadow was the name of her farm in Connecticut. My friend Susan Stanley has a wonderful website devoted to Gladys. Here is the link:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/5612/taber.htm

She and I have started a blog together and here is the link for that:

http://kitehost.com/?u=Taberpals

It's absolutely past my bedtime, but I will come back and read more. Looking forward to visiting with you all.

Best, Shelley

quote:
Originally posted by Melissa

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site. I am a "chain-reader", meaning I read tons of everything I can get my hands on. I sew, quilt, cook, crochet, while I raise my two kids, husband and my Brittany Spaniel (a great dog breed for the country!). Lately, I have started looking for Gladys Taber books. Does anyone remember her? I remember reading her magazine articles and books growing up in the 60's...all about living on the author's Connecticut farm where she raised Spaniels. These are the coziest books...beautiful pieces on the seasons, gardening, baking, all written during a simpler time. I'd like to hear from anyone who is familiar with Gladys Taber's writings. Also, by the way, someone mentioned The Mermaids Singing by Lisa Carey. Her other book is In The Country of the Young...absolutely sensational read.

We'll be friends until we're blue in the hair.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2005 :  11:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Shelley! I will have to check out the Gladys Taber books too. I remember my sis in law was reading a STillmeadow book last we visited her in CAlif. Hmmmmm I bet she has alot of them.
I am due for a new good read. Crow Lake sounds good too! I have really liked every book I have read from a recomendation from you gals....what fun.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  06:53:46 AM  Show Profile
I love that Gladys Taber website. I have been reading that site for a few months now. I tried to get onto the blog but I received an error message, so I'll try it again later. I cannot find Taber's books anywhere except online, and I've been hesitating to buy them all at one time. The thrill is in the hunt and the internet can take away that thrill when anything is available so easily! In May, I have to go to Cleveland so I will check out the used book stores/thrift shops there. If anyone can give me some leads in the Cleveland area, I'd certainly appreciate it. What has everyone been reading lately? I am reading Year of Wonders, a novel about a young woman living in a small village in England during the years of The Plague...a dark read, I have to admit, but morbidly fascinating and beautifully written story about the way the villagers react to the situation.

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  09:26:23 AM  Show Profile
I just got two of the Gladys taber still meadow books at my library. I started reading one yesterday morning while waiting for my Physical Therapy appointment and was enjoying it so much and laughing that the other people in the waiting room wondered what I was reading. What great books!!
Can,t wait to read them all.
eileen

Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  10:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Hi Melissa!!

Sorry about the blog site...it WAS down yesterday!! Grrrrr!! It is up again today (fingers,toes and eyes crossed!!) but Susan and I are working on moving it to a more reliable site...with less crashing.

Susan's done an extraordinary job with her Gladys Taber site, and she's in the process of updating everything. I can't wait to see it.

Here's a tip for finding Taber books...yard sales...especially older estate sales and library sales are great too!! Many libraries are getting rid of her books (sad) and sometimes you can find them there too. I have a list of her books, and I will hunt that up and post them here. I have quite a collection of her "Butternut Wisdom" articles as well. I'm trying to get them all on the computer so that I have a permanent copy of them. If you (or anyone here) is interested, I would be happy to pass them along.

Also...and I feel like I'm overwhelming you with Gladys material, but there is a "Friends of Gladys Taber" group. If you're interested, I can give you the name and email of the lady (she is in her 80's!!) who runs it. She does a quarterly newsletter and it's full of Gladys tidbits!!

Sorry...you all have me going great guns here. I'm just so pleased to find your interest in this amazing lady.

Erik (my fiance) and I have a website of our own...feel free to visit there too.

http://www.erikandshelley.com

Have a great Saturday everyone!!

Shelley

quote:
Originally posted by Melissa

I love that Gladys Taber website. I have been reading that site for a few months now. I tried to get onto the blog but I received an error message, so I'll try it again later. I cannot find Taber's books anywhere except online, and I've been hesitating to buy them all at one time. The thrill is in the hunt and the internet can take away that thrill when anything is available so easily! In May, I have to go to Cleveland so I will check out the used book stores/thrift shops there. If anyone can give me some leads in the Cleveland area, I'd certainly appreciate it. What has everyone been reading lately? I am reading Year of Wonders, a novel about a young woman living in a small village in England during the years of The Plague...a dark read, I have to admit, but morbidly fascinating and beautifully written story about the way the villagers react to the situation.

Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  10:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Hi Eileen!!

Which books did you get?? Enquiring minds...

Shelley

quote:
Originally posted by Eileen

I just got two of the Gladys taber still meadow books at my library. I started reading one yesterday morning while waiting for my Physical Therapy appointment and was enjoying it so much and laughing that the other people in the waiting room wondered what I was reading. What great books!!
Can,t wait to read them all.
eileen

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  10:55:14 AM  Show Profile
I got Still Meadow seasons and Still meadow and Sugarbridge. Started reading Still meadow and Sugarbridge yesterday. So much to laugh about because i've been there done that in some cases. Love them.
eileen

Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  10:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Hi Eileen...

Here's a list of Gladys' books...(Susan lists these at her site)

You should have no trouble finding the Stillmeadow books.

~*~*~

Lady of the Moon (1928) A play

Lyonnesse (1929) Poetry

Late Climbs the Sun (1934)

Tomorrow May Be Fair (1935)

The Evergreen Tree (1937)

Long Tails and Short (1938)

A Star to Steer By (1938)

This is for Always (1938)

Harvest at Stillmeadow (1940) -The First Stillmeadow Book

Nurse in Blue (1943)

The Heart has April Too (1944)

Give Us This Day (1944)

Give Me the Stars (1945)

Especially Spaniels (1945) New Edition (1949)

The Family on Maple Street (1946)

Daisy and Dobbin:Two Little Seahorses (1948)

Flower Arranging for the American Home (1947) New Edition (1948)

Stillmeadow Kitchen (1947) New Edition (1951)

The Book of Stillmeadow (1948)

Especially Father (1949)

The First Book of Dogs (1949)

The First Book of Cats (1950)

Stillmeadow Seasons (1950)

When Dogs Meet People (1952) Short Stories

Stillmeadow and Sugarbridge (1953) with Barbara Webster

Stillmeadow Daybook (1955)

Mrs. Daffodil(1957)

What Cooks at Stillmeadow, the Favorite Recipes of Gladys Taber (1958)

Spring Harvest (1959)

Stillmeadow Sampler (1959)

The Stillmeadow Road (1962)

Another Path (1963)

Gladys Taber's Stillmeadow Cookbook (1965)

Flower Arranging (1965)

One Dozen and One (1966) short stories

Stillmeadow Calendar (1967)

Especially Dogs...Especially at Stillmeadow (1968)

Stillmeadow Album (1969)

Amber: A Very Personal Cat (1970)

My Own Cape Cod (1971)

My Own Cookbook: From Stillmeadow and Cape Cod (1972)

Country Chronicle (1974)

The Best Of Stillmeadow (1976)

Harvest of Yesterdays (1976)

Conversations with Amber (1978)

Still Cove Journal (1981)

Reveries at Stillmeadow

Letters of Inspiration Published by Ideals

Shelley

quote:

Can you list some of the titles of her books. Everytime I go into our library database I get no listings for this name. Sometimes It seems to recognise titles better than authors. Eileen

Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  10:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
You've got some great reading there Eileen!!

Their letters back and forth are so much fun, and when you think about it...they didn't have the advantage of email and instant messages!! They really did these as letters. Ah...such a simpler age...but boy I would really miss my email, lol!!

Shelley

quote:

I got Still Meadow seasons and Still meadow and Sugarbridge. Started reading Still meadow and Sugarbridge yesterday. So much to laugh about because i've been there done that in some cases. Love them.
eileen

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  11:04:25 AM  Show Profile
it is too bad in some ways that we seem so dependant upon e-mail. I still love to write letters on beautiful stationary that I make myself, but I get discouraged because so few people these days actually take the time to send a reply. when I do get a reply I tend to cherish them above all else. It is so very personal, their ink on their paper and in their own unique hand.
eileen

Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  11:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
I'm the same Eileen...I am hooked on rubber stamping, and I make all of my own greeting cards. I love to write letters because as you say it is so personal. You make your own stationery?? How wonderful!! Do you make the paper itself too??

Shelley

quote:

it is too bad in some ways that we seem so dependant upon e-mail. I still love to write letters on beautiful stationary that I make myself, but I get discouraged because so few people these days actually take the time to send a reply. when I do get a reply I tend to cherish them above all else. It is so very personal, their ink on their paper and in their own unique hand.
eileen

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  12:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes I make the paper and sometimes i just decorate a fine sheet of linen paper. I also make all the cards i send.Can't bring myself to pay halmark prices for mass produced cards and stationary it seems so impersonal, so If I am going to spend the time to do the correspondance I will do the decorating of the page myself. My last bunch of paper was made from junk mail to which I added a lot of dried rose petals from my veterans honor rose. It turned out a lovely shade of lavender with darker flecks of petal, from almost black dried deep red rose petals. The wonderful thing about it was that it retains the fragrance of this awesome rose.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  12:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Eileen...oh, how lovely!!

I used to work in an art supply store, so I know the cost of those specialty papers with the rose petals etc. I am envious!! What other things do you add to your papers?? Have you ever tried fibers??

Yes...you're right...the card prices are outragious, and I have so much more fun making a card that is suited to a particular person.

Shelley

quote:

Sometimes I make the paper and sometimes i just decorate a fine sheet of linen paper. I also make all the cards i send.Can't bring myself to pay halmark prices for mass produced cards and stationary it seems so impersonal, so If I am going to spend the time to do the correspondance I will do the decorating of the page myself. My last bunch of paper was made from junk mail to which I added a lot of dried rose petals from my veterans honor rose. It turned out a lovely shade of lavender with darker flecks of petal, from almost black dried deep red rose petals. The wonderful thing about it was that it retains the fragrance of this awesome rose.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  1:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for telling me about Gladys Taber. Her books sound delightful. Even though I am a librarian, I have never heard of her. If you want to borrow the books, go to your local library and ask if they particpate in Interlibrary Loan. I just checked a master catalog called WORLDCAT and about 20 of her titles are listed and most are available at nearly 900 libraries worldwide. If they participate in Interlibrary Loan, the librarian should be able to order these books for you, often at no charge.
Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2005 :  3:00:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Shelly. I love your website...I placed it in my favorites so I can browse through it with my morning tea. I would love to see those Butternut Wisdom journals, and I would love to receive the quarterly journals on Taber you mentioned. It is so nice to find other individuals who remember her work. I have the fondest memories of reading her books and columns with my mother when I was a child. I grew up on Long Island when it was still very rural, filled with potato farms and horse farms, and I always felt like Stillmeadow was MY home, too. I'm not having much luck finding Gladys's books at garage or estate sales, or at library sales, all of which I love to go to. I may give in and just order some more online! Taber's way of life is still possible today...no matter where you live...just walk out the door and notice nature no matter what the season. It is timeless writing. Thanks so much for all the info, and feel free to email me. By the way, I spent 4 years living in Clarence, NY, and my sister lives in Skaneatales. All the way up there with you!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic Gladys Taber books Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page