Leharallen
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Carissa
Camas WA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  7:26:17 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone else read Betty MacDonald's books? I read about them in an issue of Sunset magazine, so I picked up The Egg and I and just loved it! I found a copy of her second book, The Plague and I, at the library, and while it wasn't as light-hearted, being about tuberculosis, it was still fascinating and enjoyable. I'm going to hunt for the next one as soon as I can make it back to the library.

Just wondered if anyone else had read these older gems. They were first published in the 40s and about her life in the 20s and 30s. I just find that period fascinating.

Cheers!
Carissa

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  10:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Somewhere in this column is a post I made a few weeks ago about Betty MacDonalds books.I think she was the ultimate Funny Farm Girl...her husband the ultimate chauvanist of his era...and Ma Kettle the ultimate earthy farm wife!Carissa, find the movie at your local library if you can.We live near her mountain farm home, in fact they have named one of the main streets "The Egg and I" road.She was a wonderful writer and died way too young.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  11:39:21 PM  Show Profile
O my gosh I loved that book. I didn't know she had more. Could someone list the titles again. Thanks

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  11:43:13 PM  Show Profile
I loved it too!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  08:15:40 AM  Show Profile
I haven't read the book but LOVED the movie, The egg and I. Infact my husband tried to find the movie for one of my birthday gifts this year but couldn't find it.. not even on the internet!! So the hunt continues. I will read the book now. It should be fun!
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  2:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Here's a short quote I got off Amazon.com about Betty McDonald:

"Nancy and Plum" is a children's book written by the world famous author Betty McDonald, who wrote four popular "Mrs. Piggle Wiggle" children's books, and also the adult books, "The Egg & I", "Anybody Can Do Anything" and "Onion in the Stew".

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  03:46:30 AM  Show Profile
I remember reading that book about fifteen or twenty years ago, and gosh it made me laugh! What a blast to find someone who understood and found humor in our journey.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Egg and I Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page