Page: of 3

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2005 :  11:16:24 AM  Show Profile
Shelly, I always try to put something unusual into the paper I make. I sew, and do embroidery work and spin so I have an abundance of fibers to add to the mix. I grow many types of lavender and have used the flowers in paper as well as I have imbedded things like the skeletons of leaves I have found near the wood pile a time or two. One time I found some complete big leaf maple leaf skeletons and had to make a bigger frame and deckle to fit them into a sheet of paper. They were about 10 inches across and 12 inches tall. They were georgeous!
I am really enjoying the Still Meadow book.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2005 :  11:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Eileen, the maple leaf skeletons in the paper would have been fabulous. I've been lucky enough to do some workshops making handmade books. We used some of the specialty papers and covered matboard as the book "ends". Do you have any pictures of your paper?? If you do, I'd love to see. Feel free to email me.

I'm so glad that you're enjoying the Stillmeadow book. They're like mini vacations!!

Hugs...Shelley

quote:
Originally posted by Eileen

Shelly, I always try to put something unusual into the paper I make. I sew, and do embroidery work and spin so I have an abundance of fibers to add to the mix. I grow many types of lavender and have used the flowers in paper as well as I have imbedded things like the skeletons of leaves I have found near the wood pile a time or two. One time I found some complete big leaf maple leaf skeletons and had to make a bigger frame and deckle to fit them into a sheet of paper. They were about 10 inches across and 12 inches tall. They were georgeous!
I am really enjoying the Still Meadow book.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth

We'll be friends until we're blue in the hair.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2005 :  1:23:55 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone! Just finished the usual Sunday routine and am getting ready to set a spell with... my new Gladys Taber library books! Sadly, we only had three (Mrs.Daffodil, The Family on Maple Street, and Spring Harvest) but that's a great place to start.
Melissa-- I am so glad you brought up this topic , she is someone whose writing is timeless. I have alerted my former neighbor who does house sale/auctions to add her books to my wish list! I hope I get lucky since yard sale /flea market season is fast approaching. If I find any surplus I will offer them here.
Shelly--Both websites were great and very informative, it was nice to see they are in the process of saving the Phillips farm next to Stillmeadow. I also love the fact that Mrs. Taber's grand daughter still lives in her home. It broke my heart when my grandparent's home went out of our family and I still dream of living there some day.For now I will curl up with some nice jasmine tea and visit Mrs. Taber's world! Thanks for all the info!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2005 :  1:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Hi Bramble...

Sounds like you're settling in for a delightful afternoon. The jasmine tea is a nice touch!! Lately I've been hooked on pear tea...reminds me a little of spring!!

I just typed out one of the Butternut Wisdom articles into MS Word. It is from February of 1965. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll pass it along.

Hugs...Shelley

quote:
Originally posted by bramble

Good afternoon everyone! Just finished the usual Sunday routine and am getting ready to set a spell with... my new Gladys Taber library books! Sadly, we only had three (Mrs.Daffodil, The Family on Maple Street, and Spring Harvest) but that's a great place to start.
Melissa-- I am so glad you brought up this topic , she is someone whose writing is timeless. I have alerted my former neighbor who does house sale/auctions to add her books to my wish list! I hope I get lucky since yard sale /flea market season is fast approaching. If I find any surplus I will offer them here.
Shelly--Both websites were great and very informative, it was nice to see they are in the process of saving the Phillips farm next to Stillmeadow. I also love the fact that Mrs. Taber's grand daughter still lives in her home. It broke my heart when my grandparent's home went out of our family and I still dream of living there some day.For now I will curl up with some nice jasmine tea and visit Mrs. Taber's world! Thanks for all the info!

with a happy heart

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2005 :  08:05:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Shelley and Welcome! I love your website and what you are doing with the Gladys Taber books! I used to read her Butternut Wisdom articles in my Mom's magazines as a child in the 60's. I would be very interested in the article you mentioned from Feb.65! Thanks for doing this! By the way I noticed you and your fiance are fans of Rascal Flats! I am too! My girlfriend and I went to a concert of theirs last year in my hometown! They were awesome! I also do rubberstamping and scrapbooking and make my own cards. Sending a homemade card and stationary is so personal. When I recieve a handwritten note, like Eileen, I feel it is a gift to be cherished. Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2005 :  09:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Hi Jenny!!

Good to hear from you!! Let's see...you love Gladys Taber books, you stamp and scrapbook AND you love The Flatts!! Hmm...was I cloned and didn't realize it?? Sure!! I'd be happy to share the article. Email me...and put "Gladys Taber" in the subject line so that I know to open it. If you're like me, I'm so tired of spam!!

Thanks for the nice comments about our website. Very much appreciated!!

Hope to hear from you soon...

Shelley!!

quote:
Originally posted by MeadowLark

Hi Shelley and Welcome! I love your website and what you are doing with the Gladys Taber books! I used to read her Butternut Wisdom articles in my Mom's magazines as a child in the 60's. I would be very interested in the article you mentioned from Feb.65! Thanks for doing this! By the way I noticed you and your fiance are fans of Rascal Flats! I am too! My girlfriend and I went to a concert of theirs last year in my hometown! They were awesome! I also do rubberstamping and scrapbooking and make my own cards. Sending a homemade card and stationary is so personal. When I recieve a handwritten note, like Eileen, I feel it is a gift to be cherished. Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2005 :  7:26:22 PM  Show Profile
After a rough start of not being able to get "into" a couple Glady's books, I'm happy to say that I just finished reading Stillmeadow Calendar and really enjoyed this one. Not exactly sure why it was easier for me than the others, perhaps because it is chaptered according to the calendar months and the activities that typically take place then. Anyway, it was an extremely good read. Also picked up a recommendation from the book on one of her favorite authors, Hal Borland; and specifically two of his books-- Sundial of the Seasons, and This Hill, This Valley. (neither of which is carried by my library, so will have to contemplate purchasing them used from Amazon or somewhere similar if I want to read them, I guess.)
Thanks again for the recommendation!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2005 :  09:19:21 AM  Show Profile
I just started reading Stillmeadow and Sugarbridge. So far so good. I alos joined the Friends of Gladys Taber. I have had some very sweet e-mails from Gilly Moore. I received the Feb newsletter and it is sweet. I think I'm a fan already!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2005 :  11:27:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi all - I found this cute website put together by two Gladys Taber fans. Thought you might enjoy reading through it. Is this the same one you are referring to Kim?

http://www.kitehost.com/Taberpals/348/

jpbluesky

"Keep us here, all simply in the springing of the year." From A Prayer in Spring by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2005 :  12:37:46 PM  Show Profile
I think so.....I logged on to the site from Shelley's posting in this forum.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2005 :  12:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Just got your message Kim...thanks!!

Susan and I do the letters to one another. It's great for both of us...it helps us stay in touch. We used to live within about 45 minutes of one another when I was in New Hampshire. When I moved to New York (2 1/2 years ago now...wow, time flies!!) we were calling back and forth, but that isn't always convenient. The "letters" keep us both on our toes, lol. Here's the updated link for you...

http://kitehost.com/?u=Taberpals

Susan's been offline for almost a month with a crashed computer. She just posted a new letter a couple of days ago. Check it out...her "pet" chipmunk is out of hibernation and she has a great photo of him there.

Have a great Sunday afternoon...I'm making curtains for the girls' room.

Shelley

http://www.erikandshelley.com

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2005 :  1:32:29 PM  Show Profile
I am also enjoying Gladys Taber...Read Country Chronical, Harvest of Seasons, StillmeadowSampler, and My Own Cape Cod from the library. I visited our used book store and to my surprise and delight they had Stillmeadow Calender, The Stillmeadow Road and Flower Arranging for the American Home in good condition so I bought them for my own library! Gladys had the ability to find the sacred in the mundane and ordinary and translate it so beautifully into words. It is also a neat peek into a simpler time 50 years ago and she had some rather prophetic writings on where the country seemed to be heading. Thanks to all who posted about her and recommended her books!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2005 :  05:12:12 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I repeated information about the Gladys Taber website.....I found the website of Shelley's by searching on the internet, and did not remember it had been mentioned earlier in this thread of conversation! oops.

Am going to look for these books in our library. I looked on Amazon and they do not have any chapters that can be read online, so I can't get a feel for how they read. But you all certainly make them sound fun.
jpbluesky

"Keep us here, all simply in the springing of the year." From A Prayer in Spring by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2005 :  6:20:35 PM  Show Profile
A website called abebooks.com has used Gladys Taber paperbacks from $1 and up! I'm going there to get a few to see what they're about since you all speak so highly of them!
Go to Top of Page

Susan Stanley
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Susan
New Boston NH
USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 07 2005 :  08:22:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Shelley & Everyone!!

I've found you at last! My dear friend Shelley told me about you and I did a search on Google and found you straight away.

I'm Susan, a fellow Gladys Taber fan, and Shelley and I are the ones who write the Stillmeadow Blog.

http://www.kitehost.com/taberpals

I'm also in the process of transfering and greatly updating my old (since 1997) Geocities Stillmeadow site.
The url for the new site is:

http://stillmeadow.ecwhost.com

So far there's a good sized photo album there, filled with really wonderful pictures. When I look through them I feel like I've visited Stillmeadow.

I have also just set up a Stillmeadow Forum and you are all more than welcome to join us!

http://stillmeadow.forumate.com

It's really nice to meet you all and I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Susan
New Hampshire

There are no strangers-only friends we have yet to meet. Gladys Taber
Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - May 07 2005 :  09:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Erik and I visited Stillmeadow last weekend!! It was a magical visit and I could have stayed for hours and hours!!

We took a number of photos and I think they really show Stillmeadow at its best.

Please stop by the site and see them.

http://www.erikandshelley.com

If you click on All Photo Albums, then Stillmeadow Album, you'll be able to see them.

Make sure you leave a note in the guest book to let us know you've been by.

Shelley

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  3:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
OH my gosh!! She is my favorite author of all time. My mom collected her book and I have re-read them every summer since I was about 13. I am now 31. To say I love her book is an understatement. They can be found at ALIBRIS.com if you can't find copies. LOVE HER!!! She envokes my childhood and my future too..I want to live similiar. And having grown up in CT I have a bit of a special place for them Yankee girls...love her!!!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  3:37:15 PM  Show Profile
I love her too catscharm. I am rereading Stillmeadow Road right now. Check out the pictures Shelley Ginger posted on her blog of Gladys Tabers house she visited recently, they are wonderful.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  3:48:03 PM  Show Profile
Guess I missed this earlier. Great pics Shelly and really brings it all to life. Were you able to go inside the house?

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  6:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Hi Catscharm74...welcome to the Gladys corner, lol!! She's absolutely my favorite too!! I found her a number of years ago, and I've been taken with her ever since. She made the everyday seem extraordinary!!

I hope that you'll visit Susan Stanley's "Gladys Taber's Stillmeadow" http://stillmeadow.ecwhost.com/ It's a beautiful site and a there are a number of things there about Gladys that I think you'll enjoy.

Looking forward to getting to know you!!

Shelley

Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  6:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Hello Clare!!

Ooooh, I wish I had been able to go inside and see Stillmeadow but since no one was home (I'm assuming that they'd driven to into the village or some such thing) I wouldn't even think of going in. Don't get me wrong...I knocked on the door and stretched my neck to get a look inside through the screen door, lol!! I couldn't believe that there I was standing on the step at Stillmeadow and SEEING Gladys' fireplace. It was a little overwhelming...seeing a place that I'd only read about for so many years.

I absolutely loved being there and I hope to go back again soon.

Shelley

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  7:50:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I see Shelly. I was under the impression that this was an open to the public museum type home now, but it must be a private residence? It was nice to see the exterior pics though!

Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  7:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Hi Clare...

The house is still owned by the family...Gladys' daughter, Connie and Gladys' granddaughters, Anne and Alice. As far as I know, Anne lives there now.

They are so very kind to Gladys' fans though...and seem quite used to looking out and seeing someone taking photos or stopping.

Shelley

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  8:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am glad to see there are other Gladys fans around. I did a search for her and found very little on the internet. Glad to see someone is posting so wonderful stuff on her. Ok- I am so devoted to her I named my Jeep after her. Fun and always an adventure. My hubby just shakes his head!!!
Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - May 25 2005 :  03:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
(((catscharm74)))

Lol...yes...we tend to get some of those head shakes once in a while...but if you're like me I'm not discouraged in the least!! You know, Gladys was an amazing woman...and ahead of her time really. She was speaking to the American homemaker when no one else was. For an age without the multimedia that we have now, Gladys Taber was a household name among women. She was able to speak to women in a way that was not demeaning or patronizing.

Not only was she a country homemaker, but she was a writer and a teacher and she raised (and showed) Cocker Spaniels. All of this...AND she was a single mother raising a child.

Gladys was not faint-hearted by any means.

That's worth a head shake of two, lol!!

Shelley

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic Gladys Taber books Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page