Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Homeschool Foreign Language - Recommendations?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Homeschool Foreign Language - Recommendations? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  6:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

My son is interested in learning German. I know no German at all. We were going to use Rosetta Stone, but the private evaluator said immersion programs such as Rosetta Stone, while they are effective and have a place, do not teach grammar, and, therefore, are not appropriate for school purposes. Will you please share about the foreign language programs you have used and recommend the ones with which you feel your children have had the most success? I'd really appreciated your help with this! I am interested in German, Latin, Greek and French.

Thanks so much!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  7:35:22 PM  Show Profile
check out itunes

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  7:39:18 PM  Show Profile
we're going to do Invitation to Languages, which looks like an intro to all those languages plus Italian, Japanese, and I don't remember what all else. Luckily I know someone with the CD's, so it won't be so expensive :)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  9:01:42 PM  Show Profile
What about Transparent Language software products? I have their German Now! and Swedish Now! programs and like them alot. Both programs teach how the grammar works. Maybe still not be up to home school standards, but it is far more informative about the language structure than Rosetta Stone.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  6:48:48 PM  Show Profile
My cousins homeschooled and they are all fluent in German and they used Rosetta Stone and swear by it. One of my cousins even went to Europe and besides a very slight american/canadien accent she spoke just fine with them over there! They also studied for hours a day. But I guess with anything the more practice you have the more you can learn, retain and excel. Now they are working on an American Indian language but I don't remember what tribe. Whether or not we homeschool our kids I want them to be fluent in at least one other language, I haven't decided which one quite yet but I will be going with Rosetta Stone, but since they are young I have been using Baby Einstein and Little Pim. It's quite strange because I swear my kids (as young as they are) are picking up on the language. My son (who hardly speaks) said "danke" quite clear after I handed him his cup. So I guess he says 5 words now, mixed in with his grunts (He will be a year old on Friday).

My suggestion would be to keep getting people's tips and just start trying things out, sometimes the library has language programs and that you can try them out before going out and buying them then finding out they don't work! Ours had Rosetta Stone for a while and I really enjoyed it but we need to get an updated computer (and I have to pick a language!) before I go out and buy it for our family. Good luck! I'm sure you will make the best decision for your family :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  8:50:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks SO much, girls!

Mar-lyn, I had NO idea itunes had any type of language program available? I'll have to have my son check it out!

I haven't heard of either the Invitation Languages or Transparent Language programs... Where can I find them? I'm interested!

Krystle - your comments just re-affirm why I was looking into Rosetta Stone. I am so wanting to do that with my son, you have no idea. The private evaluator said it just isn't going to cut it as far as the grammar portion of language learning (the "technicalities," if you will). HOWEVER - having said that, I just saw a commercial for Rosetta Stone the other day that said they have a new homeschool program available. I'm going to call to find out about it to see if it might be somthing the evaluator will approve.

If only my son would show interest in French. I've had nine full years of French between middle school, high school, and college... UGH!

Oh well... I'm going to keep looking and try to find out about the other two programs you've recommended in addition to Rosetta Stone, girls. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, too. The summer is going to fly by, and before I know it, we'll be down to decision crunch time - eghads - so I really want to be prepared!

Again, thanks so, so much - I really, really appreciate everyone's help!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  06:49:20 AM  Show Profile
Nini, you can find Transparent Language products online at www.transparent.com

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  07:08:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Marilyn! I'll check that out this afternoon! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Homeschool Foreign Language - Recommendations? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page