Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Clover Chains, Morning Glory tee pees, and ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Clover Chains, Morning Glory tee pees, and ? Next Topic  

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  7:06:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to remember all the fun carefree things I did as a child with the free abundance of nature to share with my Granddaughter. I've remembered the above, plantain shooters, fall leaf crowns, sipping the nectar from honey suckle and holly hock dolls.
What do you remember? Please help me add to this list!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  07:10:06 AM  Show Profile
Playing a song on a blade of grass
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  07:16:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh I remember that! Thanks Lisa I had forgotten it. When I was a kid I would lie in the tall grass and make hurt rabbit sounds with a blade of grass to call the hawks. GD loves music so she will be thrilled with this one. Hawks will need to wait till she is a little older.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  07:35:54 AM  Show Profile
I just remembered floating bark boats with leaf sails down the creek. Fun for the hottest summer days!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kcmiller
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Kaye
Muscatine IA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  07:43:22 AM  Show Profile
Ohh-I loved lying on my back and looking up at the clouds and seeing elephants or sailboats or anything fun in the cloud shapes!

**How can I keep from singing?**

http://4kacademy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  07:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Multiple somersaults down a big hill
Digging holes & filling with water to try to make a pond.
Damming up a small creek to make a small waterfall.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  07:49:12 AM  Show Profile
Perfect Kaye! It's added to my list! We are going to have a fun summer!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kcmiller
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Kaye
Muscatine IA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  07:58:21 AM  Show Profile
We have a great book that the kids and I use for Nature study- it's called "Handbook of Nature Study" by Anna Botsford Comstock. It's original printing is 1911, but sooo good for answering nature questions. I believe it is avail online to read for free at this link:

http://www.archive.org/details/handbookofnature002506mbp

I know you will have a great time with them Connie!

Kaye

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  08:03:36 AM  Show Profile
Lisa thanks for helping me remember all those wonderful things! Remember digging a hole to china! LOL
Kaye I'm headed straight to that site. I love old books. They have such a sweet spirit and are so civil.
Thanks Y'all!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  10:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a wonderful book. I looked it up on Amazon and it appears there is a newer addition but most people recommend the old one because of the picture quality. I love old books, too....
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  3:07:41 PM  Show Profile
Fishing! I was lucky enough to have a few ponds close by. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  4:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Making mud pies!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  09:22:35 AM  Show Profile
Downloaded the book and love it for a ll the reasons I love old books! It is a keeper. Thanks Kaye!
Fishing and Mud pies are on the list for sure.
We caught craw daddies last weekend. Of course we released them!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kcmiller
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Kaye
Muscatine IA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  09:28:58 AM  Show Profile
So glad you liked it! I knew you would though- it is a treasure!

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  10:14:57 AM  Show Profile
I do! I am going to the big city next week and will stop at my favorite "old" book store and ask them to find a copy for me. I want a copy for my book shelf and my hands!
Conne

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  12:59:27 PM  Show Profile
We used to set up little farms/ dollhouses under the Christmas trees that we planted in the yard. My best friend and I would take clothes pins and make little farmwife dolls. We always opened up the clothespin and put in a flower for the doll's hair. A favorite was grape hyacith, which made a sort of a blue- ish beehive hairdo, lol! We also liked the shaggy look of using a dandlion. Anyhow, we gathered up all sorts of this and that to make and furnish the dolhouses- leaves were bedspreads, acorn tops were dishes, and they always had a pigpen full of little long, thin pinecones that came from the old Christmas trees. We were always on the lookout for berries ( esp enoght to use to bake something) , mint, " sourgrass" and anything else we could eat wild. I made violet syrup when I was 12! In the fall, we made quite a mess out of pokeberries, which stain everything magenta and are probably poisonous. We used them to enrich mudpies as well as make ink and facepaint. FAll was a good time for stomping on puffball mushrooms so the spores would send green " smoke" flying everywhere. There was a good stand of these under an old tree on the way too school, perfect for befuddling other kids.
Oh- how abut making Pinnochio noses by opening up a maple seed and sticking it on your nose? Throughing a handfull of the smaller dried maple seedpods to make " helicopters"? I guess we found a lot of stuff to do. I had a wildflower identification book and always loved learning to identify stuff on nature walks. My parents let us go out in the canoe from a relatively early age~ and fishing was always a favorite!
I grew up in New England so sledding, ice skating, and, later, when we could borrow skis, cross country skiing across farmland were very popular.
And of course, we made all sorts of painted paperweights out of rocks. Good old rocks, for skipping and etc.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Good fun Mary! I did the same without the cloths pin dolls. They were fairy houses and of course you can't see the fairies. : ) I forgot all about playing with polk berries. We did that too. I'll have to go find a maple seed to make a nose with her. She will love that. I think we will paint some rocks this weekend. That is something we have no shortage of.
Thanks Mary
Connie

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  4:51:48 PM  Show Profile
I had a blast remembering all these things!
It's so neat that we made up the same sort of games...
I forgot exactly when the maple seeds are " ripe", so let me know if you find one!
Let us know how the rock painting went. I seem to remember that ladybugs were a common art form in our " studio"!
M

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  5:32:11 PM  Show Profile
It is fun Mary. I'm enjoying remembering and having a second childhood with my GD. We did make a lady bug! We also made a turtle and a snow man. There were also some very abstract critters made by the three year old! So far all I've found of the maple seeds are the ones that are only an inch or so long. They are already dry and brown. The seeds will not split for me. I'll bet you are taking about the larger ones so I'll keep looking for them.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  5:37:06 PM  Show Profile
I think we got those in the spring-
Glad to hear the rock painting was a wild success!
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Clover Chains, Morning Glory tee pees, and ? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page