Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Bubba Just Got a Snake. Pic Pg. 3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bubba Just Got a Snake. Pic Pg. 3 Next Topic
Page: of 3

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  7:19:19 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I have a friend who now lives in Arizona, she is like you about snakes, probally worse. She will scream, like to shatter glass, and run blindly any direction to get away. A dead snake in the road, she will close her eyes and pick up her feet, now mind you, she's driving, been with her when shes done that,lol...She has never had a close call with a snake, all of her 69 yrs, but she is terrified, her sister, and both parents have no fear at all...So, yes, I do understand, and I hope someday, all of you that have this fear, will be able to overcome it...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  7:29:25 PM  Show Profile
I'm all for leaving snakes alone but a copperhead on my property is a different story. good dog, Bubba.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  7:33:37 PM  Show Profile
Rachel, I have laughed so much at your description of your hubby. That is what I would have done. I bet you could hardly see after that. Poor guy. I hope you didn't rub it in too awful bad. I really don't know a thing about snakes. I had no idea that they were getting smaller and fewer. Really, I know that each animal has a purpose and is here for a reason. Although I still don't know why we have to have flies. And I would love to come visit if I can get a farm sitter. My parents are going back to Statesboro the end of this week. I wish I could go with them.

Tina, I understand how you feel. And thanks for understanding me. I will keep my distance if they will.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  3:22:49 PM  Show Profile
Well, for the record, I do have garden snakes and I appreciate them for helping to keep the rodents and bugs down. Although, I do not appreciate them munching on my strawberries! It is very wise to learn your different snakes and steer clear of the vipers or the ones that cause harm. My mom still freaks out, and I think she always will, about any snake. And I used to be the same way, but decided if I was going to really live in the country, I was just going to have to "learn" to coexist. When she comes to my place I always remind her to step carefully in "the back 40". I have had to "shoo" a few snakes from my back yard directly behind the house. THAT I haven't told her!

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.fiberandherbscottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  09:53:44 AM  Show Profile
We had a discussion some where on here about just not talking about the fact that we butchered that chicken we are serving or that the dish we are serving is different in anyway from what your guest is used to eating because so many people are just plain put off by that. Same is true with snakes on my farm. I do the usual "We are in the country so watch where you step" talk but I never tell folks about the snakes I let live in the garden. No one would visit it if I did! With all the talking and footsteps they are scarce before we hit the garden gate anyway. Kids left to play on the property are always told more about snake safety. Look before you step over a log or off a ledge, never put your hands where you can't see and never try to kill a snake by yourself. Come get a grownup.
If i'm asked outright questions I am honest but most city folks only ask about poisonous snakes. I haven't had a copper head or rattler in the yard or gardens in two years. ( That I've seen.) : )
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  6:01:08 PM  Show Profile
I've discovered a little visitor in my compost bin--a garter snake that i've seen in there three times during the past week. I wonder if he likes it because it's warm? He always slithers away when I open the top. he startled me once but now I know to look for him. I'm not afraid, cause we used to catch garter snakes when I was a kid. And he's small :)
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  6:19:52 PM  Show Profile
My oldest caught them too. He left one in his pocket once. I did the laundry while they were in the bath. I leaned in to check the tub of the washer by running my hand around the bottom and found a belt. Or so I thought, till it wrapped around my arm. That one got slung across the basement! A naked little boy was dispatched down there to catch it and take it outside. That was the last live thing I ever found in a pocket.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  7:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Connie--I was laughing at your description of throwing a snake across the basement! Reminds me of a friend of mine who found a snakeskin and put it in the basement--her mother found it and ran screaming up the steps cause she thought there was a snake down there! What little darlings we were LOL.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  7:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Connie, that is funny! I don't know what I'd do if that happened to me.

Cindy, that was a horrible joke to play on that poor mother. I wonder what she did when she found out who did that.

Today I took my granddaughter to the library. She's joined the summer reading program and on Wed. they have story hour. There was a really good story teller this morning. I was really enjoying her until she told a story about a little lady who's son was in Africa studying reptiles. Then she brought out this big round box shaped like a tire that her son sent her by UPS for her birthday. I knew right away what was in that box and got up out of my chair and went down a row of books. I felt like a fool. But I was right. She brough out a stuffed green boa snake. I cam eback and sat down when she put it back in the box.

I have not seen any more snakes. That's not to say they aren't out there somewhere. I just am not seeing them. I still look for the black snake that we saw that day before the other snake that Bubba got.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  7:24:38 PM  Show Profile
We pulled pranks like that too. I once put three toads in another girls sleeping bag at camp. Thank goodness I didn't tell anyone i did it. It did not go over well. oops
Connie

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  7:46:11 PM  Show Profile
Kris there are so many people who feel like you do I don't think anyone thought to much about you getting up. Our hardwood floor installer was at the farm today while we were there and called us to the porch to talk to us. He told us he saw a big snake in the garden ( from a window) and acted like he thought we would run screaming to the jeep. We told him we knew it was there and the look on his face said it all. He was terrified. Big guy, real deep voice, strong as an ox and scared to death of snakes. This phobia knows no boundaries.
I just hope he comes back to finish the floors!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  07:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Is anybody else enjoying this thread just for the laughter of the stories? I'm sharing some of the funny posts with my DH and we're both rolling!

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.fiberandherbscottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  08:09:33 AM  Show Profile
LOL There is laughter in anxiety sometimes! I'm one of those people that laugh when I'm a bit scared. I know. I'm working on it. I've done it since childhood. Think it is because I had a mean sibling and could not show fear or it could go really bad fast. I giggle at the worst times. Folks that go running and screaming from snakes are more normal than me running and giggling! LOL
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Jackie, there are some funny snake stories for sure. I have to laugh at myself sometimes just to keep from loosing it. So keep those funny snake storied coming! Just NO pictures please!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that Kris. I was afraid we might be bothering you with the stories.
The floor guy did come back but declined our request for him to dump the sawdust on the compost bin. It was to close to the garden. He did put it in a box for us. : )
Connie

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  5:57:20 PM  Show Profile
hehehe..I have tons of snake stories, will share another. When I was living with my parents one night, around 11PM my mom comes into my room screaming at the top of her lungs "Rachel come get this snake, it's a monster, it's after me" After having a near heart attack, I jumped out of bed and asked her where this monster snake was. She said it was in her room and it was after her so it might be in the living room. I looked and looked and didn't see anything. So then I looked under an old desk she had in her bedroom and there it was..about 6-8 inches and about as big around as a pencil of baby corn snake trying to get away. I picked it up and was headed to the front door to let it out when the little thing bit me on my finger. I yelled (insert cussword here) and slung my finger...well the poor little guy goes flying off my hand and lands right on the top of my mom's head. She starts jumping and screaming (insert lots of cusswords here) and slapping at her hair trying to get it out and screaming "it's gonna get me, it's trying to eat me oh my god it's gonna choke me" I started laughing, she started yelling more (and telling me to stop laughing cause she's gonna beat me if the snake doesn't kill her first) and to get it off of her before it kills her. Finally I stop laughing long enough to see the little guy on the floor dazed, I caught him (or her) again and put it outside and she was still fussing that it might come back and get her. Needless to say when I did make it back to bed, I locked the door and slept with one eye open...

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  6:04:29 PM  Show Profile
I can sure relate to the slinging part Rachel! Did either one of you get any sleep that night? LOL
Connie

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  06:54:52 AM  Show Profile
I did after I locked the door so my mom wouldn't come beat me in my sleep! Not so sure that she did though.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  6:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Rachel, I would have probably done something about the same. Your mother sounds like me.

So this morning I was cleaning out the milkroom. I was sweeping up under everything. I saw this thing hanging from the wall. We have cinder block walls in there. And some have pretty good size cracks in them. Well, I looked closer and it was a snake skin! Yep, a snake skin. I always thought there was a snake in that wall. A few years back I saw a snake in there. I had just finished milking all the goats except Sadie. I was waiting for her to finish eating and was moving old feed bags out of the way. Up under a stack was a snake. I screamed and ran out of there so fast. That's when my Dd and her husband were living next door. I ran over there and got them. Jeff looked all over in that room and said he couldn't find it. And poor Sadie still on the milk stand. Jeff had to get her out. He had to get all 3 milk stands out of there for me. We cleaned from top to bottom. Even washed the floors. I had to force myself to do it and was scared to death the whole time. I couldn't milk in there for a few weeks. Milked them all outside. I finally got several boxes of moth balls and put them all over. Then I could not go in the milk room because of the smell. It was horrible. I even smelled like moth balls. So had to get them all out. Anyway, it took a long time to go back to milking in there. And now this! Ewwww, I hate snakes! So does it mean it's still in there? Or is it long gone. And I don't know how long it's been there since I have not swept in awhile. It could have been the black snake we saw a few weeks ago. the same day Bubba killed the other snake. It probably went right in there and has been there all this time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  12:24:33 AM  Show Profile
If the feeding is good, snakes usually don't travel too far; so it is likely still in there somewhere (eating rodents ;) ). Even looking at the shed skin there's no real way to tell how long it has been there. I know there is some powder stuff you can buy that is supposed to keep snakes away, not sure if it works or not though. I saw some at the feed store the other day.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  05:13:47 AM  Show Profile
I guess I'll look for that stuff. I think it's called Sanke Away. But it has a picture of a snake on the front. When I worked at the hardware store someone else always had to put that away for me. Then when someone came to the register to buy some it always made me scream. But not too loud. They would have to put it in the bag for me. But if it will keep them out of the milk room I'll do it. We also had to stack fire wood in the cat room. So there could be one in there too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  07:14:52 AM  Show Profile
Kris- I really feel for you! It is hard not to create a perfect place for snakes to hide out living on a farm. We have lots of dry stacked stone walls around our place. They just love them. That is where our big garden snake lives. We also mulch heavily in the garden so there is a good habitat for the moles, voles, and field mice. The compost piles are also right there. I guess we have created the perfect habitat! I'll bet the mice etc like your feed bags. So where there are mice there will be snakes... Put the bags in something mouse proof or get rid of them. I can stand a snake outdoors but indoors is another subject! YIKES!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  09:35:16 AM  Show Profile
I got some. I stink now. I still have to go to the barn out back and put some out there now. That stuff is nasty. It better work. I even put some in the cracks of the wall. And in the wood piles too. Yep, the feed bags laying around is not a good idea. I use them for the garden. I want a garden shed one of these days.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  09:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Let us know how it works. I know my new basement will look inviting to lots of critters including those with no legs. I'm thinking a little spread at each doorway!
Connie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bubba Just Got a Snake. Pic Pg. 3 Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page