kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  7:47:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, I never got Chuck castrated. He is a little over 3 months. The guy that said he's do it never did. I have asked several times and will not ask again. I am a little bit upset with him.So anyway, as of now, Chuck is a bull calf and will probably stay that way. I don't know what else to do. He's already about close to 150 pounds. I can't catch him. I wish now I had just banded him when he was little.

I was talking to the guy who has the bull I used to breed Mazie. he says I do not want a bull. But is it too late to have it done? And how will it be done? Can't I just leave it alone and just send him to the butcher when he's big enough?

I am going to go ahead and band 2 of my bucklings in a few days. But I can handle them by myself.

What are y'all thoughts on bull versus steer meat?

I think the worst part of this would be that he could breed his mother, Mazie. But I could separate them when he's about 7 or 8 months old.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  7:59:25 PM  Show Profile
get him cut right away...very dangerous for you and anyone else he will come in contact with, the liabilitys are huge, and a comman cattle fence will not keep him in if he smells a cow in season, including his mother. This can be done at any age, it just gets more expensive, and not many butchers will want to deal with a bull...I implore you, get him casterated....

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Hope Floats
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Texas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  9:56:19 PM  Show Profile
I really don't think you have much to worry about. He's a 3 month old 150 pound calf, yes he need's to be castrated, but at this age he's no more of a danger or liability to others than a heifer. As far as having him castrated, I'd call your vet when he weighs about 500 pounds. The testes serve as natural hormone implants and cause the young calf to develop the blocky, meaty structure desired in beef. By castrating them at about 500 pounds, it prevents further "bully" growth that might effect the texture and flavor of meat.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  04:43:23 AM  Show Profile
You should never trust any cow or bull. Always keep that in the back of your head. Even a pet cow, always keep one eye on them, when with them.
You can have him castrated any time. I agree totally with Hope Floats, just call the vet when ready. They can either cut him,or crimp.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  05:33:12 AM  Show Profile
I had our "bull calf" casterated when he was like 8 mos. It is not a bg deal when you do it. Just be sure to do it.
I agree with Hope Floats.
But let me tell you, our bull went thru the fence yesterday. There is a cow next door in heat. We spent two hours catching hime then an other hour adding more fence and electric to his pasture. Our bull is very gentle, but when a cow is in heat nothing will stop him.
I always keep one eye on all livestock. It makes noe difference if it a horse, a cow or a goat. They are animals, we are human.

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  06:43:35 AM  Show Profile
yup, i agree. we had bullseye bill here for breeding. we owned him we got him as a calf. when he was old enough to breed we used him and loaned him out. he was still small and well trained. we can load him up and unload him all day. if there is a cow in heat watch out. hormones make them crazy. someone on their monthly putting out hormones could even be an issue. i would do him now. does anyone have a squeeze chute you could use? when i was done breeding i traded him for an old relic of a tractor. we had our cows across the road to breed a few yrs. back. an angus bull traveled through 5 fence lines to get to our cows. we spent 4 hours rounding up the bull. he was huge had horns and was looking for the cows. animal rescue came the sherrif came. we used about 8 people. no luck getting him out. he was toooo big for our girls. a neighbor had a cow dog. he moved the bull out of pasture biting his legs and running him. he left how he came. he lifted a strong fence tied to heavy cattle panels and an electric wire. so i share this in an effort to get you to get the boy cut if you can. the meat gets a strong taste in my opinion when they are sexually active and in tact too. i sure would hate to hear you were hurt by him. if you had a small corral or pen to hold him in, you could sedate him. the vet may have an idea how to get it done. let us know what you decide. hoping for happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Hope Floats
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Texas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  08:16:02 AM  Show Profile
Like I said before there is no need to panic, you still have time. He is NOT old enough to bred at 3 months of age and therefore while he might be hard to catch, won't have the bull tendencies. I really doubt you will have to have him sedated..... You might contact your local Ag department/ teacher or Ag Extension office, they might be able to help you get him rounded up before the vet comes out. Your county extension service is also a great source of information. They should be able to answer any questions and give you several publications on raising beef in your area.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:15:16 AM  Show Profile
I was not trying , in anyway to instill panic, but, even thou he is only 3 months old, in 6 months he will be 9 months, and depending on breed, he will start with teenage raging hormones, and will become a danger, as in trying to mount anything that he can. The meat will become strong as he ages also, as many girls here have said. Bulls are dangerous, even in the hands of an expert, I just don't want to hear in a few months, how he went thru fences, and hurt people, all the while doing what nature and hormones told him to do...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  10:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Our bull is calm, but just like any large animal-you should ALWAYS keep an eye out for them. Especially when they're not "Fixed". I'd call the vet out when you can. I know we have a bull calf out right now who's at least 2 months old, still on momma, and still not banded. I don't think they reach sexual maturity until they are older...

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:48:15 PM  Show Profile
My power was out all morning and I went to taon. So just now seeing all these great posts. Thanks y'all. I am relieved that it's not too late. I will talk to a friend up the road who said he would help but I thought the other guy was going to do it. So maybe we can rig something up to catch him in. Mazie is Red Angus and the bull was a Black Angus. SO he's already really meaty. So thanks again for all the advice. I will definetely be getting him castrated now that I know it can still be done. There are cows across the road and a big huge black bull. So he would have some serious competition if he did decide to break outta here. Wouldn't want to see that fight!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:51:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris- Now that is something I am afraid of! A big old bull and me in the same field. May be irrational but there ya go. I'd pee my pants for sure.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  3:22:06 PM  Show Profile
connie you made me laugh. we loved bullseye. he was calm even at the age of 1 1/2 years. i have watched our neighbors bull grow. he is a white park stud. he is inside panels wire and electric. when my girls come in he rams his head against all of it. there is only a road between. we sold bill because i was afraid we could not handle him when he gets older and way bigger. we traded a 1946 ford tractor for him. cute tractor. anyway we love our steers. they mount the girls when in standing heat. then we know when to breed. they are sweet easy to handle and fun too. so i am glad your getting it done. it may be too late for banding. i think it gets hard to get it on. remember the thread on cut and pull. thats what our vet does. temple grandin suggests remove shadows and clanging sounds, they see yellow as a fear. no yellow shirts. she says if you are catching in a ring it needs to be a ring. they like round. she talks about shirts hanging on fences and things that are different. they make the cow afraid. well gotta go maddie is bellering. i have the flu and NO voice. so trying to rest. she is screaming so have to check and see if calf got out. temple has great ideas for catching cows. if you are curious i can share more. i love how she handles cows. i am going to learn ALL her methods. i love training cows and goats. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  3:47:35 PM  Show Profile
They are just so big Sherrye! We had horses growing up and I loved them and knew to respect their size. I just know nothing about cattle, thus the fear of bulls. All that huffing, puffing and hoof pawing makes me nervous!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  5:00:06 PM  Show Profile
Kris, so glad you are gonna get that boy "cut", otherwise I was gonna bring out the big guns and tell you some very true horror stories regarding so called "gentle bulls". I use A.I. on all my girls, cows, ewes, and my does, won't ever have a bull, ram or buck on my place, just not worth the liability...

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  6:49:42 PM  Show Profile
Tina, I know about those rams. I had one and said I'd never have one again. And I am bottle feeding one. He's the sweetest little guy right now but I know what he will be capable of when he's older. I will be afraid.

I am going to look up Temple Grandin. Thanks, Sherrye.

Connie, it's a good idea to have some fear when it comes to animals. I was very naieve (?) when I had the ram and a few ewes. I had him in with some bucks and he was always so nice. Then one day he just turned on me. Just like that. No warning at all. And he got me good right in the stomach. I wa so afraid of him after that. I borrowed a friend's cow prod and carried it with me whenever I had to go gather eggs. And then it was only if he was at the very far end of the pasture. Then I would run as fast as I could to gather what eggs I could find in about 10 seconds. Then he'd see me and come running. And I went running. Then one day he got out. I had the ewes in the yard and he got out with them. I was scared to seath. My grands were here at the time and I was so scared they'd go outside and he's kill them. He had horns too. So I called a firend with a trailer and he came and I took him to the stockyard. No more bad ram. And now I have another one. ANd I have heard bottle rams are a mess.

I will call my vet next week to see if they will come here and do it. I might have to laod him up and take him there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  6:50:52 PM  Show Profile
You can still do it..and I would. I never trust intact males once they are over 100 lb.! I would get several people to help (I have 4 handy teenagers) and get him into a corner and keep him there and just do it now if you can. One of my main gripes about males is that they are so hard on fences!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jun 23 2011 6:51:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  7:42:27 PM  Show Profile
Shoot, Jenny, you should see his momma! mazie has torn up quite a few fences. She just has to len against one trying to get something on the other side and she lays it down. Then she's outta there! She doesn't go far. And will always come back for an apple or 50. She'll do anything for an apple. I have some apples falling out of the trees already. I swear that cow knows what it is in my hand when I show it to her. She can be across the fieild and will come running for an apple! She loves them. So I hope Chuck doesn't have that gene in him!

Jenny, I wish I had had some boys. I have thought about adopting some just to have some help around here. Must be nice. My friend up the road has 4 boys. The youngest has had to move back in and is needing money so he helps out when I can afford him.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  6:28:47 PM  Show Profile
I band my bull calves. Right now I don't have a head gate, and it is easiest to steer them when I can rope and catch them. You will need a good way of holding him, when you do steer him. I do always have a bull on the place. You got to respect all animals.

good luck Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  8:45:13 PM  Show Profile
michele, oh my can you rope a calf??? i want to see. do you ride a horse? thats my next thing on my list.. to get a horse here and ride my pastures. i rode when young. need to learn it all again. so wish you were closer. i could learn a lot from you.

KRIS good luck with the steer. i hope your not helping. you need some strong guys. let us know????

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  9:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Mona actually pushed a fence down this morning as well...sigh. They are just so big and the ground is soft from all the rain we had the past few weeks so she just leaned on the fence to reach tall grass on the other side and was over...my 15 year old son and I fixed it..hope she isn't bored enough to test other parts of the fence tomorrow. She is easy to catch as well. I wish I could afford to have really nice strong fences but I get by with livestock panels and tee posts with round wood posts and the corners. Good for sheep and goats..not as good for big old cows.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  6:10:39 PM  Show Profile
I was talking to some friends tonight up the road. They just castrated a little bull that was born in Jan. He was lots bigger than Chuck. So they will probably come help sometime this week. They are just going to wrangle the little guy and gitter done!

Sherrye, I always wanted a horse too. I did get a 3 year old horse. She was a paint. Beautiful horse. My granddaughter named her Sally Sunshine Moonshade. Don't know where that came from but we liked it. SO I had her trained and she stayed at a stable for several months while we were looking for a house. Finally got her back. We rode her a little. I had never had lessons. One day I had my grand kids and my Dd out here. We put the saddle on her and the grand rode first. tehn Abby rode. Then I got on her. We were out in the garden area. Well, she shook a little and scared me to death. She felt me being scared and started bucking like crazy. I flew off her and hit the ground on my back. I thought I was dying, it hurt so bad. I couldn't breath. Scared my Dd so bad she called 911. But I was ok. I broke my right pinky finger. And I was bruised for weeks. I have not been on a horse since. I am too old to get hurt like that. What happened was after riding so much the saddle and blanket got loose and was twisted around. SO when I got on she was all wonky and didn't like it. I should have checked it all before. So anyway, be careful if you do get a horse. That's a long way to fall!

Jenny, that's what Mazie does. She's after the green grass on the OTHER side of the fence and just keeps going. I had to get the fence up front fixed all the way across a few years ago. Pais a guy over $600. to do it and it's not even my fence or pasture. But he did a great job. Wish I could get the whole pasture fixed now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  4:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Jenny you could run electric around, to help keep your cow in. As much as I hate electric fence (hit it too many times), I have it running around my fence at home. My cows up on pasture just have barb wire. Kris, ouch that was some kind of fall. Glad you weren't hurt too much. Sherrye I rope the calves, but I never said I was any good at it! Takes alot of throws sometimes! We used to have horses, but gave them away. I miss them. I learned to ride as a kid, with my first horse.
Good luck with steering.
Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bull VS Steer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page