Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Bubba Just Got a Snake. Pic Pg. 3
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bubba Just Got a Snake. Pic Pg. 3 Next Topic
Page: of 3

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  3:32:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm just teasing you and the other girls a little bit, worked in a zoo for awhile when I was younger and loved the snakes, all kinds. Didn't mean to imply that a copperhead chased you, that was just one of the snakes talked about in this thread, and yes you are right, they just wanted a dry and sunny spot to bask, and No, I wouldn't let one in either, and I don't care who you are, if one falls on you, you are gonna scream and jump...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  3:38:44 PM  Show Profile
I was born in Calif. and the snake chasing me and my brother was there. The snake that chased me on the lawn mower was here in Ga. I know those snakes were chasing me because they stayed behind me. What else were they doing? And there was a snake skin in the rafters of the garage when we first moved in here. So I know they climb and will jump onto people. I had a snake climb right up in my apple tree a few years ago.

I don't know why I am so afraid of snakes. They just give me the creeps and I can't even look at them without screaming. My mother is even worse and I guess that's where I got the fear of snakes. I don't know if I will ever get over it. Like the fear of flying in a plane. Or spiders. Or dogs. Or horses. I now have a fear of riding a horse because I was bucked off my horse a few years ago. I am too old to fall off a big ole horse. I can't afford to get hurt anymore. So I will stay away from snakes if they will stay away from me. I have cats that will eat the mice and rats if they become a problem here. I don't think I will ever like a snake no matter how good it is. There are other ways to get rid of things than to have a snake do it for me. And I like to eat chicken eggs too much.

I know everyone will not agree on this subject. And I respect everyone's opinions. But some things will never change. If you want snakes in your yard, that's great. I don't. And that's ok too. But I know I will have them because of where we live. In the middle of 3 hay fields. And woods and mountains all around as well. There will be snakes and bugs and spiders. I know that. I will never like them. They are evil creepy scary things to me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  4:10:29 PM  Show Profile
I respect that Kris. I sure killed the one eating my eggs and upsetting my chickens! If the one in the garden moves to the hen house he will go too. I don't have any real phobias but I do get the creeps from some things. I worked with a woman who would faint if anyone said the word snake. It is a real problem for some people. ( Real as in actual) I'd never place a judgement on you or anyone for that fear. I figure "There go I except for the grace of God."
I sure know what you mean about not getting hurt. I don't do things I'd like to do because I can't afford to be hurt. That tick bit alone cost me several hundred dollars and way to much time too sick to do anything.
Tina, my stepson likes the reptiles too. I'm not much of a fan. Cold blooded just doesn't do it for me. I've learned what I think I need to know about them to keep myself safe where I live. When I travel I study what I need to know about that area. I did a trek in Tanzania and got to see a puff adder on the path. That was scary and not what I went there to see but I recognized it when I saw it. But just like phobias, I'm not here to judge. Love them if you want too! I'll just stick to mammals. : )

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  7:44:05 PM  Show Profile
I've often heard tales of coachwhips chasing people and then whipping them once they caught them--never actually met anyone this has happened to but have heard of lots of incidents ;). I have heard of quite a few instances of snakes chasing people, while most snakes will take off in the opposite direction to retreat I would not exclude that there may very well be some who decide to chase someone. In my experiences with snakes I've never been chased --I've been bitten, wrapped around, hissed at, musked, pooped on, and vomited on what fun! I have heard of snakes chasing people and know of one that put my dear old dad on the go--there was a rattlesnake in the road and he stopped to kill it (he likes to kill any kind of snake) well after he hit it with an axe handle, the snake got after him and my dad jumped into the bed of his truck. The snake kept weaving back and forth along the tailgate trying to get up in the truck with my dad and would not let him out, if my dad went to one side the snake followed. My mom had to slide over to the driver's seat and drive home with him in the back and the snake followed the truck for a little distance.

From the research that I've done, it is commonly thought that most people are afraid of snakes due to the references in the bible to the serpent in the Garden of Eden (although it never clearly states that it was actually a snake, who knows...I wasn't there to see it) and all of the negativity that comes from the association with the serpent. Most people can't explain why they are so afraid of snakes, they just are and while I don't understand that fear (because I love snakes) that's fine...I am a firm believer in education (why I used to do demonstrations in schools) and although education doesn't necessarily take away the fear..you will know more about what you are afraid of. I've always been fond of snakes and had the ultimate pleasure of living next door to Greg Graziani (snake breeder, and one of the guys on Python Hunters) for a while and learned most of what I know from him. I don't mind having snakes in the yard, the non-venomous ones are welcome to stay (although if they start getting into the eggs/birds we'll have a problem) but the venomous ones we do kill, although I hate doing that I don't like the risk of someone (or an animal) being bitten and there are several kids that like to come over to our house.

I've also seen where more snakes are evolving to have both neuro and hemotoxic venoms. I find this extremely interesting... from what I've read scientists think it may be due to a combination of prey developing immunity to the hemotoxins and mass hunting/killing of snakes. When most vipers are babies they have more neurotoxins than hemotoxins and as they mature the venom changes over to a hemotoxic venom; with the killing off of the larger snakes there are fewer snakes with purely hemotoxic venoms anymore.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  8:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Rachel- Would a coach whip be the same as our black racer? I really believe the one we have around would chase given the chance. He acts very threatening if we get to close. Raises up real high and stretches out toward you to get you to back off. I never run cause I'm afraid he will chase. I just slowly back away.
I think I remember reading about some pre christian religious use of the serpent. Do I remember correctly that the church demonized the snake to discourage this religion? I think it may have been a goddess religion?
We kill the poisonous ones too. To many animals and children around to take a chance.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  05:40:29 AM  Show Profile
Coachwhips and black racers are two different species of snake. Black racers http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/colcon.htm and coachwhips http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/masfla.htm

I do think that some snakes would give chase if they felt like it--every snake I have encountered has been different some people say that animals and especially reptiles have no personality and they are all the same, I think that is BS. Are reptiles the same as mammals? No, and they do not have the same behaviors either but I do believe that there are individuals that are just more aggressive than others in every species. Generally the best thing to do if you come across a snake is to be very still and very slowly back away.

There were alot of pre-Christian religions and cults that worshipped the snake and held snakes in very high honor. Their ability to shed their skin was (and is) symbolic of releasing the old and growing. Snakes are also seen as symbols of wisdom and fertility in some religions. When Christianity came about and was spreading, they did demonize snakes (along with many other "pagan" religious icons/deities) to discourage those practices and bring more followers into Christianity. Probably the most known of the snake goddesses is the figure found in Crete of a Minoan woman holding snakes in each hand.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  08:41:37 AM  Show Profile
Step dad just called. He said it was more than likely a corn snake.

There was an old timey cgurch kind of in the woods at the end of a dirt road. They handled snakes. My youngest Dd had a friend that lived past the church up the hill. It was all I could do to drive past that little church. Just gave me the creeps so bad. I don't think they do it any more there. I do not see why anyone would want to handle a snake that could bite you any second and kill you. That is crazy. Thank you, Rachel, for the links. I can't look at them right now. But I am going to see if the grands will look up a corn snake to see if it looks like the one Bubba killed.

kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  09:00:53 AM  Show Profile
Rachel-Thanks for all the info!
Kris-Still smiling!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  09:11:28 AM  Show Profile
Nope. We just looked it up and looking through my hands at the screen, I am thinking it's not a corn snake. The ones that they had pictures of were really long and skinny. This one was short and fat. Could it be a young one? Oh my goodness, I am not feeling so good right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  2:03:56 PM  Show Profile
If it was short and fat through the middle it was most likely a viper of some sort. Even young corn snakes are pencil thin and long. If you can post a pic I'll tell you what it is.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  6:58:14 PM  Show Profile
Could it be a rat snake? Sometimes folks in the south call them chicken snakes for obvious reasons!
Conne

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  4:33:32 PM  Show Profile

Ok, here it is. I hope someone knows what it is. Or was.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  6:12:45 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could see the tail and there was a head... I am thinking copper head.
Good thing they did not get bit!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  6:16:44 PM  Show Profile
looks like a southern copperhead to me, 99% sure, without head I can't be 100% positive, you are very lucky your dog wasn't bit, snake bite treatment and anti-vemom is very expensive, and does not always work...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  6:20:24 PM  Show Profile
Definitely a copperhead. And what a beauty!! (I know, sorry Kristin but I can't help it ;) ) While I certainly do not advocate skipping out on the doctor in the event of snake bite (venomous that is) some of what I've read on folk remedies and herbal healing suggests that very large doses of vitamin C and activated charcoal are good to use. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have on hand until you can get to the MD or vet anyway.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  7:16:43 PM  Show Profile
Are you serious? A copperhead? After all the talk about a non poisonous snake I was feeling a little bit ok about it. But now, I don't know. That's pretty darn scary. We have lived here going on our 7th year. The year before last I saw 3 snakes. Last year nothing. This year, 3 already. The years before, nothing. Last year I went around the property and prayed over it. I did this year too. So what's going on?

Oh, and the head was still on. In the 2nd picture it's the smaller part where it goes up to the right. I thought it was gone but upon closer, and terrified, inspection, it was still on. It's very slender, that's why I thought it was gone.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  8:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Gosh Kris it is a copper head. I'm sure glad you are all OK. Keep the grass mowed. Thats your best defense. Rake up any piles of leaves and get rid of any brush piles close to the house or areas you spend time in.
I'm sorry this is so scary for you. If I could I'd come be your snake slayer.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  8:52:40 PM  Show Profile
call your local animal control, there are usually people that they can recommend that will come out and remove snakes from your property, opposed to killing them, they will relocate to an area that is less populated, and many of them do it for free..

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  9:07:35 PM  Show Profile
I think my part of the south may not be that progressive Tina. We don't even have an animal shelter in our county. Animal control consists of jail inmates that go round with a trustee and a truck and get roadkill deer off the road.
I'm not trying to be funny. That's the way it is.
I take dogs that have been dumped at my farm to Nashville to a no kill shelter and tell them I found them at my Nashville address just to have a place to take them. Pretty sad state of affairs but there you have it.
Can't speak for Kris. What say you?
Connie

Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  10:19:07 PM  Show Profile
Kristen one thing I learned growing up about copperheads is they smell like cucumbers. I was taught that when I'm in a meadow or on the trail hiking and I smell cucumbers to stop dead in my tracks, look very carefully and proceed with extreme caution. I hate them because they give no warning like a rattlesnake does, and can strike when you least expect it. Hope this helps. And be careful!

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.fiberandherbscottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  10:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Sorry. I have to disagree with this one. Being in Tennessee, I witnessed my grandfather shooting a Blue Racer when I was real young. He told me that those things "chase" you and attack/bite. He also said that a dead blue racer is the best. It has stuck with me all my life.

quote:
Originally posted by oldbittyhen

Kris, LOL, I have NEVER heard of a snake chasing anyone, I am sorry, don't mean to laugh, no self respecting snake is going to chase a human being, especialy one riding a mower. Racers, kings gophers etc, will not chase you down like a predator, and if you happened to startle one up real close, unless its trapped, it with go the other direction very quickly...google snakes in your region, and read up on them, learn how to tell the differant species from each other, learn that very few indiginous snakes are much over 4 ft long, the average being 3 ft or shorter. If you give yourself a chance to learn, it will help with your fear...

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.fiberandherbscottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  05:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, way out here in the middle of no where USA, that snake would be long gone by the time anyone got here. (I had to call for an ambulance one time when I thought I was dying. I had a kidney stone. Anyone had one before? Just let me have quadruplets naturally any time please. Anyway, by the time they got here, over an hour later, the stone had passed and I was just fine. That's why my farm is called Outback Farm.) I'm sorry, but aren't there gazillions of those snakes all over the place that are reproducing all the time? I do not feel bad at all for a few dead snakes right here. I do not mean to sound heartless, but when it comes to snakes, good or bad, I am heartless. I know there will always be more where that one came from. SO I am not in the least worried that they will become extinct any time soon. And I have grandkids that are all over out there and I do not want them to come up on one of them. It's the snake that's gonna come out on the wrong end of the gun, so to speak.

Jackie, same here. Just sayin'. It happened to me and those snakes weren't short either.

I really did not mean for this to be a discussion on the virtues of a snake. I don't want to argue or disagree. This is not meant for that. I am sorry if it has become that. I love that everyone has a different view. That's what makes us all so interesting and I am grateful for that. I like every one of you wonderful farmgirls and consider you all my friends. I would not want to make anyone mad at me for anything. Please know this. But when it comes to a snake, my whole world changes. I am so thankful there are people (like y'all) that can look at snakes so that others who are terrified of them (ME!) can know what they are. Thank you so much.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  06:54:01 AM  Show Profile
very well said kris, we are all different. it is what makes life fun. my papa would just need the snake gone too. i would have been so freaked out. there are plenty of snakes in the world. i dont think there is much difference between a owl or other predator getting a snake and you getting rid of a snake. theres a place for everything. my yard is not it. i think your post is cute. i am proud of bubba. i am SOOOOO glad he was not hurt. he certainly is a smart boy. i am shocked that it was a copperhead. i am happy to hear you mowed. so IIIIIIII for one say snakes are great but not in my garden. happy days for you and bubba ,,,,sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  09:59:23 AM  Show Profile
I was born and raised in the southern end of the mid-west, on top of working with snakes and other reptiles at a zoo. I have seen, handled and very intensly studied snakes. I believe them to be a very importent part of the eco-system, and when people say, it does not matter if I kill them all on my property, there's plenty more, and your neighbors feel the same way, as their neighbors do, some day down the line, those snakes will become rare sights, and will end up being endangered. Without snakes, the rodent population would be insane, I was told how 1 female mouse, at 30 days old can become pregnant, give birth and at least 5 of her babies will be females who in turn will become pregnant, and produce at least 5 females who also will continue this cycle, so in 12 months time, the original female will be responsible for the birth of 10,000 mice...man has been killing animals for many years, just because...and many species of animals have disapeared forever and many others are getting close...please learn what snakes in your area are NOT poisenous, and leave them alone, and I fully understand killing a poisenous one to protect human and animal life, as I too have done that when they are in my barn,gardens and near my frontdoor...I am not argueing with anyone, I am just asking you to think about what I have said, and do some research on sites that will give you facts, not fear...

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  6:50:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kristin, I like you anyway ---even if you don't like snakes;) Next time you come to the big town of Pembroke, stop by my place for a visit and I'll keep the door to my craft room closed so you won't see my boa:D. You don't sound heartless to me..I know that most people hate snakes, some people can take them or leave them and others love them--to each his/her own. Snakes are an important part of nature (everything in creation is has an important role in my opinion). If I lived closer I'd be happy to come out and remove snakes from your place! I used to get a good many calls from the neighbors around here for that very thing, but haven't had any in a long time. I haven't seen nearly as many snakes as I used to and the ones I'm seeing here are alot smaller. I don't think I've ever seen a copperhead as big as the one in your picture either. About 2 summers ago my husband and I were sitting outside under an oak tree relaxing when I saw a movement by his foot. I told him to hold still and not move because it was a small copperhead crawling on his foot. Well of course when I said that, before I could get anything to move the snake..he screams like a schoolgirl, kicks his foot, nearly flips out of the chair and sends the poor little snake flying across the yard. After he got a grip and I quit laughing so hard we located the snake and he killed it since it was venomous. I've got the skeleton in my bone drawer (I love to collect bones). This one was probably about 2 1/2 feet or so long, it was a young one. I think one of the main reasons this was so funny (thankfully he didn't get bitten) is that my husband is 6'4" 220 pounds and looks really intimidating to most people (bald, beard, biker kinda looking guy) and to hear him scream like a girl was so funny..I wish I had that on tape ;). I do think it is important to note though, that throughout the whole ordeal, the copperhead kept trying to get away and never once tried to strike. I read a study by Whit Gibbons a while back on copperheads and he said that they are the most reluctant to strike of the venomous snakes in our area (he tested this out but hunting snakes while wearing snake gear and seeing what it would take to get them to strike apparently). Good thing to keep in mind, but always try to keep your distance, especially if you are not very familiar with snakes in your area.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bubba Just Got a Snake. Pic Pg. 3 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page