Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 HELP!!! Given a fresh bag of wool.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic HELP!!! Given a fresh bag of wool. Next Topic  

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile
WHile I am totally excited to get this fresh off the sheep bag of wool. What do I do now? It's smelly and dirty from the farmyard.

What's the best way to clean and prepare it for spinning. Being a complete newbie to spinning, I have only bought already clean wool.

How's the best way to go about this????
Thanks in advance.

Do what you love, love what you do.

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  8:12:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm signed up for a class on spinning next month and a class on cleaning and carding a few weeks after that. I did go pick up some books from the library to learn a little bit before I signed up and paid so much for the classes, just to be sure it was something I would want to do. There are some really detailed books with lots of pictures if you like to go that route!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  9:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Check out the posts on page 24 of the Sheep and Goat thread under barnyard buddies. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26506&whichpage=24 We were discussing wool picking and washing there. If you look on Sarita's blog on past posts she posted pictures there. I hope that helps.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  6:23:28 PM  Show Profile
THanks for the reference. I read until my brain hurt! I am still feeling a little overwhelmed by the prospect of the cleaning and cleaning and more cleaning!

Plus my friend came by the fire station today to let me know she had dropped off a huge bag of wool from two sheep they sheared over the weekend. So now I have a bag of angora goat fiber and a bag of beautiful chocolate brown sheep wool. All to be cleaned, carded, and made into something!

Why on earth I do this to myself I do not know. =/

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic HELP!!! Given a fresh bag of wool. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page