Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Attack of killer tomato worms Next Topic  

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  9:15:41 PM  Show Profile
We have tomato worms attacking our plants. I'm hand picking them off and squishing their little green guts out (sorry, but they are going to town on the tomatoes)!I pulled over a dozen tonight and almost that many yesterday. I went online and read suggestions of dusting plants with powdered red pepper, diatamacious earth (sp?) and planting borage, marigolds or sweet basil with the tomatoes. Have any of you found the "true answer" to tomato worms???
Thanks!
Sharon the wormanator

Life is messy. Wear your apron!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  10:46:05 PM  Show Profile
I have mostly done the "hand pick and squish method myself". I have tried Diatamacious earth without much success. Havn't had them since we moved here..they are sure scary looking. My boys always loved to catch them for me..yuck!! Ihope someone has an answer for you..I always plant basil and garlic and marigold around my tomatoes..it didn't work when I lived in Calif..but it either works here or I have just been lucky enough to have none "happen by".
Good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  09:04:05 AM  Show Profile
UGH!!I absolutely loathe tomato horn-worms. They are the most disgusting things! Just thinking about them gives me the heebie-geebies!!! Ever since I started planting marigolds all around my plants I haven't had any issues with them. I plant my tomato plants in rows and in between each plant I plant 2 or 3 marigold plants. I don't know if its dumb luck but for the 3 years I've been doing this I haven't seen one!..so sorry you are having to deal with them..yucky yucky yuck!! good luck to you,
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  1:58:35 PM  Show Profile
They are the stuff nightmares are made of! My lod chickens were even afraid of them :(
We may have to try marigolds next year...
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  5:04:05 PM  Show Profile
I hand pick mine (with gloves on AAAHHH), and toss them to the chickens. I also plant marigolds and I spray with neem. Good luck I really hated them last year, but haven't had any yet this year.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  7:29:03 PM  Show Profile
So far I haven't had any this year, but I've had them even in years when they're surrounded in marigolds. The best control I've found is frequent inspection, and keeping a jar with a couple inches of kerosene out in the garden to drop these into.

Oh, and don't try to step on them, especially in flip flops. Don't ask me how I know.
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  03:55:23 AM  Show Profile
They really seem to be arriving in large numbers this year. I've always been told not to kill the ones that have what appears to be little grains of rice all over them. These are the eggs of a natural predator of tomato horn worms. Right now, I'm just "pickin & squashin"!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  5:36:32 PM  Show Profile
EEEEUUUUUWWWW

They're BACK!!!!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Aug 01 2007 5:40:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  7:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Gross! I haven't ever seen those before! I hope they stay away from my house! I want to keep all my tomatos!

Good luck with being a worminator!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  8:12:19 PM  Show Profile
Keep them away from your dogs!LOL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  8:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Why? What will they do to your dogs?!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  10:31:54 PM  Show Profile
I was being funny - haha Alee - worms, larvae, dogs - after my experience with the maggot in my dog.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  09:15:38 AM  Show Profile
We get these too. And I used to feed them to the chickens until I found out the adult form is the Sphynx moth-or hawk month. These moths get to be big enough you can see red eye shine is the right light. Saw one hovering outside our kitchen window one evening and the little red eye gave me a temporary start!

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  09:17:16 AM  Show Profile
and if you really want gross look up Hickory Horn Devil caterpillar

now THAT"s scary!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  09:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What happened to nice caterpillars that produce nice things like monarchs and such? lol

Alee
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  10:27:38 AM  Show Profile
Here is a link to the caterpillar Anna was speaking of. Scary!! There are quite a few photos & these people actaully liked it. It is huge by the way!

http://hilarynelson.com/Hobbies/Bugs/HickoryHornedDevilCaterpillar

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  05:38:52 AM  Show Profile
oh, gross! If I found one of those in my garden I'd go get a shotgun! (LOL- I'm usually a very gentle person.)

Actually I was thinking of making a sweater pattern with the hornworm's body marking as a design. It's actually kind of neat. (If you don't think about it eating your tomatoes)

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  7:14:58 PM  Show Profile
You guys are too funny, my eyes are watering. I have always wondered if you touch the red horn on them do you get stung? I was never brave enough to touch it.

Cheryl :)
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Attack of killer tomato worms Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page