Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 To bra or not to bra, that is my question!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic To bra or not to bra, that is my question!! Next Topic
Page: of 4

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  2:15:39 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls!
I was just wondering what everyone's views were on bras?
I am trying to improve my health naturally, and alot of reading leads me to think that maybe wearing a bra all the time isn't so good for women.....
Who always wears a bra?
Who goes without one?
What kind do you wear?

I have been trying to go with out one while I am home...giving my back a rest, letting my adrenals drain, but friends, I tell ya, after nursing 4 babies, I could tuck "the sisters" in my hip pockets!
So, give us your two cents...let's have a bra debate.
Love and light to all
~Kate

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  3:00:37 PM  Show Profile
hi kate, i cant stand wearing a bra since hitting the big M!but when i have to ,a good well fitting bra is the answer. iknow the name but am to lazy to get up and check think it cost bout $25.00 .i hate menopause it just goes on and on and on.lol. hot, cold, hot, cold ,any one else have that problem?
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  3:11:54 PM  Show Profile
I used to joke that you knew you were getting older when you took off your bra and your knees looked bigger! I no longer joke about that. I have to wear those industrial-strength Brunhilda bras that hold you up, suck you in and restrain like a straight jacket... Good night, I could never go without one. After nursing 3 kids, mine traveled southeast AND southwest! I need something to keep them going in one direction!!
Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  3:32:12 PM  Show Profile
I SHOULD never ever go without a bra...(much to big and much too "gravity challenged" these days) but I DO go without one most of the time at home. I always have an apron or overalls on anyway. I am real quick to put one on when someone comes over or I need to go to town. I feel much better if I don't wear one all the time. I never can find one that I like the fit of either.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  5:04:30 PM  Show Profile
I just read an interesting article about this last night in a back issue of MJ magazine -- The Art of the Egg issue. It was an article that was sent to MJ by Syd Singer who is one of the directors of the Institute for the Study of Culturogenic Disease. It talks about the effects that wearing tight bras have on the circulation within the breasts and on the lymphatic system. And the coorelation between breast cancer and wearing tight bras. Very interesting. I wear a bra just because I have large 54 year old breasts (sorry to be so blunt). But after reading this article I think I'm going to go get some camisoles or t-shirts and start going bra less at home. Not sure if I want to subject the public to me without a bra!!! The website listed in the article is www.selfstudycenter.org. Here's another link. http://www.selfstudycenter.org./change_tight.htm

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jul 16 2006 5:08:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  5:56:43 PM  Show Profile
I love to go without a bra - at home. In my younger years I did that a lot. I always wear one out now, and have found some comfy ones that are padded and soft. But in the heat of Florida, they get so damp! However, if I had to choose, bras and panty hose and anything restricting would go out the window. I love comfort above all.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  7:06:25 PM  Show Profile
Well, I nursed two babies after the age of forty. Up until that time, they were perky and I wore a bra, but didn't really need it for the support. Now....omgoodness.....they are like skin flaps. I just roll them up and stuff them in...LOL...I am miserable without a bra and in the Virginia heat.....well, little to graphic here, but I am totally uncomfortable without a bra on. I even wear one to bed many nights. I prefer the underwire bras. I know am/fm receivers, but I find I don't need to wear as tight of a bra when I have the underwires. I hate anything tight and binding. I do ocassionally let the girls out, but I have to be home and alone and with a tshirt or cami on.

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  7:16:01 PM  Show Profile
I almost never wear a bra at home. I do wear one when I am out and about and at work. But it is the second thing off when I hit the door to the house. Shoes then bra!! I could use a bra rack by the door.....like they used to have hat racks!!! :) Just funnin!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  8:06:19 PM  Show Profile
I have to wear a bra since I'm still nursing. They get WAY heavy in between "meals." But while we're on the topic: did anyone have to deal with a baby eating on just one side? I'm way beyond fighting it or pumping to "keep even" - we found our nursing peace again about a month and half ago and that's it...a one-sided baby! I am noticing a slight difference in size, but my husband and others assure me that nobody else can tell...yet. Has anyone else had two different sized breasts?? I'm not too worried, since the length of nursing is so short compared to his whole life (I can sacrifice uniformity for a year!), but just a little concerned about how bad the size difference may get.

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  8:16:29 PM  Show Profile
Catherine with a C!
Two of my babies have had a favorite side to nurse on, and by the time they were 8 or 9 months old, I nursed almost always on that side..now and then they would nurse the other breast, but not much...
Don't worry, you won't get too lopsided, I didn't.
I wonder why some babies choose a favorite? Is it the way we cradle them? Does that one favorite breast make more milk?
I wonder...
Ok, another question along these lines..
I nursed for about a year, give or take a couple weeks, but Emme is almost 13 months and still wants to nurse all the time. She has been sick, so I just let her nurse, she needs the comfort and she won't eat...plus she is still tiny (about 16 lbs.) and has no teeth yet but after she is better, I am going to try weaning again..any advice on it? My other kids pretty much weaned themselves.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  9:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am like one of the PP, the shoes go first then the bra most days. I have a bunch of those built in self bra camis and i love them. Not to tight and just enough support to keep them from heading south.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  01:05:16 AM  Show Profile
May I say, "I hate bras"....Now the truth of the matter...I, too, have to wear the industrial strength bra. I have had huge breats since high school and after 3 babies they are all over the place. When at home I wear none. I wish I could do life without one, but for today...the bra is on when I am in public.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  01:53:50 AM  Show Profile
I wear the fruit of the loom brand. I like being braless more than I used to.

I have one size larger than the other, not majorly noticeable, but when I nurse my larger size makes about a gallon of milk, while the other side makes about 3 oz. So, I have to force my smaller side to work harder and ignore my larger size. Otherwise my production is way out of balance.

Mammary glands, oh the joy.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  04:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
You all cracked me up this early morning! I nursed 6 babies but honestly...they arent too worse for the wear. I didnt own a bra till I got married! Oh, not really, I owned one but never put it on!

Funny bra story: We are getting married...my mom INSISTED on a dress, even though it was a casual ceremony, at my parents house with a judge (a woman judge! - some folks were mortified!) We search and search but in 1977 it was dang near impossible to find a size 1 dress that didnt cost too much for a one time wear. So...we borrowed one from a friend's daughter. It was a lovely, lace top dress that required a strapless bra. We are at the ceremony, and now bear in mind my husband and his father (rest his soul) are/were very easy to cry. So it is down to the I-Do's and hubby's dad is crying, and hubby is crying and I am thinking to myself if he changes his mind now this is IT!!! I thought he was crying for a bad reason! Not a good one! So anyway it comes my turn to say my part and I take a deep breath...and my bra hits my hips!!! Thank goodness for a big booty!!! Then I got tickled and giggly and half were crying and half were laughing...it was a sight! After that day I didnt put one on till I got pregnant with my first child and all of the sudden there they were!!!

I actually love Hanes bras...the t-shirt knit kind with underwire. Comfy enough - for a bra. And at 38D after 20+ years of pregnancy and nursing - they do require some support. And honestly after my hysterectomy, I think they are bigger!! Is that possible?

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  05:51:16 AM  Show Profile
Susan- The same thing happened to me after my hysterectomy! I think it has to do with the hormone replacement therapy. I also gained 30 pounds in a year. I'm still struggling with that and it's been 7 years. Aargh!!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  07:15:45 AM  Show Profile
I am exactly like Bridge...my shoes come off when I walk in the door and while i'm kicking those off, i'm unhooking my bra. It drives my husband crazy because there will be a bra draped over the couch, computer chair, where ever I happen to take it off. But I can't help it... I HATE bras. I'm 27, began developing when I was 10, so I've been dealing with it for 17 years. I wear a beat-up old bra to work and out around town and that is it! If a guest comes over, I MAY put on a bra! :)
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  08:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
i use to wear them all the time at 13 I was a 36 C not a good thing for a young girl image issues. Now after 3 kids I am a 34/36 A if I am so lucky. And I hate bras I wear tank tops under my clothes camisols (sp) and sports tops as bras now bruise me and give me lumps on my right breast so I just avoid them like the plague as the bumps really hurt and get rock hard. ( yes I know they are not cancer already went that rought just hard internal bruises from an under wire bra that seem to be permanent now very annoying.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  08:58:13 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine once gave me a cute little sign. This seems like an appropriate place to share what it said. And maybe this will help with the decision of whether or not to wear a bra. The sign said
"GO BRA-LESS! IT PULLS THE WRINKLES FROM YOUR FACE!!"

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  2:38:05 PM  Show Profile
Remember the little lacy undershirts we used to wear?
I was so happy when I was grown up enough to where a bra, now I long for the undershirt days!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  4:31:42 PM  Show Profile
I wear a soft/sports-type bra...if I must. Mostly I wear a cami with a little shelf bra. Now, when it's too hot for any clothing, I only put one on if I'm going "out in public".I have also been known to remove mine in the car (while driving) on my way home :)
Sharon
PS My daughter is on the verge of needing/wanting a bra. I am promoting sports bras to her just for the comfort factor. How have any of you dealt with this?

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  4:46:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm a 38C and feel like I have to wear one even at home. I like to go without, but when it's hot - I get all sweaty cuz they aren't so perky anymore. I used to wear underwire, but don't anymore. I was having so much pain and couldn't figure out why. It was the bras. They weren't too tight but the underwires really started to hurt. I do usually wear just a sports bra on the weekends. I like the ones where they have a T-strap. Don't have to keep hitching up the straps!!

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  5:17:21 PM  Show Profile
Well this has really got me thinking. I wear a DDD and wouldn't dare subject the town to a braless outing, but starting Wednesday I am going to starting taking it off as soon as I get home. I have to wait till Wednesday because that's when our company leaves for a few days.

My questions is to everyone of larger size. Is there a cami/tanktop that's out there that would work for DDD's Just for home use?

Also, I only wear wireless. Finally in my 30's I tried both on in a dressing room and realized all the wire did was give me a lot of pain. I found mine at Lane Bryant. They had about 200 bra's and I only liked 1. So I bought 4 of them.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!

Edited by - Garden_artist on Jul 17 2006 5:18:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  8:15:33 PM  Show Profile
I am looking at LB next trip up north and see if I can get one that really fits!.... and I havn't found a cami one that would work. Too bad though.
I can't wear the underwire ones at all.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jul 18 2006 09:31:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  04:23:48 AM  Show Profile
According to all that i have read, the underwire bras are a big no no...I have a few, and I have stopped wearing them, I will look at Lane Bryant too...
Did anyone catch Oprah's show? It was a bra intervention.....teaching women to buy the right size!
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  09:39:00 AM  Show Profile
I was talking with a women in her 80's and she told me that as we work through the day, our bodies tend to get puffy and she expands her bra a notch around 1pm or so. That's when I decided to go get new bra's and make sure I had a notch to expand to.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  10:20:18 AM  Show Profile
I'm the same way - it's almost the first thing to come off when I get home from work. Why it is that bras start choking you to death the very minute you walk through your door at the end of the day?

Jo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic To bra or not to bra, that is my question!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page