Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 To bra or not to bra, that is my question!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic To bra or not to bra, that is my question!! Next Topic
Page: of 4

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  12:30:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm on the search for a plus size cami. Watched Oprah yesterday - which I normally don't do - and it was about bras. A bra expert was on there and she said that most women by their bras too big around and the cups not big enough -- thus the reason for riding up in the back. She said to measure lower down to get the size around. That the back of the bra should be lower down your back. Then go up on the cup size so you have lift but no constraint. I am a DD but I am going to go get fitted for a bra -- I've never done that. I'm not going to wear them around the house but feel a need to put one on in public -- mine are starting to go south and it's not pretty! So if I'm going to do that it might as well be fitted properly. But if I was one a little breasted gal I'd never wear a bra!

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  12:47:04 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

Great Topic!!

I hate bras and always have--too confining.

When I was young and wore a 32B, I could get away with not wearing one out of the house when I was wearing certain outfits.

Now at 54 and wearing a 42DD, I still don't wear bras at home ever. The minute I get home from work, off it goes. ASAP!!! I also wear the industrial strength Brunhilde bras when I leave the house. I buy them at my favorite thrift store and never pay more than $7.50. Great price, and they are always like new.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  12:58:50 PM  Show Profile
I went to get fitted for a bra after baby came. First I went to a department store, but they told me I was a 38D. Now, I know that they are supposed to grow a bunch with milk, but come on...I was a 34C before! Why would the circumference around my ribs go up so much just for nursing?!

So I got a second opinion. A friend told me about this lady in a tiny little hole-in-the-wall office park way the heck out the city who has been professionally sizing women for all circumstances (pregnancy, wedding dresses, etc.) for 37 years. She was by-appointment-only and not cheap, but I tell you...it was so worth it. She sized me up and discovered I was a 34DDD or G! When I asked her how the department store lady got it so wrong, she replied "because they don't carry your size." AH! So I was mis-sized in order to make a sale! Makes perfect sense now. I promptly bought two bras in the right size from this woman and haven't looked back. They are not underwire - I've heard all sorts of terrible things about underwire and nursing - and are super comfortable. Now the only problem is that one of my breasts is going back to the C cup size before my son is done with the other one! Oh well, a little loose fabric never hurt anyone...

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  4:03:07 PM  Show Profile
I wish there were more stores like the one you found...
I bet we all wouldn't hate our bras so much if they fit better.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  6:37:31 PM  Show Profile
I don't think I have EVER had one that fit quite right...I think you are so right about the cup size needing to be bigger and the around size smaller. I get that back strap hiking up thing going...and I hate that!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Pickles
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Dairy Princess
Cheney WA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  7:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Pickles a Yahoo! Message
NOT TO BRA!! And when it's absolutely necessary...I wear a jockey wireless bra. No you can't get internet on it, but it's way more comfy than underwires! :o) I was dropped in to the no bra revolution by a genetic mutation. I am BRCA2+ and come from a long line of women with Breast Cancer. So, I took matters into my own hands (well, my plastic surgeon did) and had a double mastectomy in May. For 20 years I wore underwire bras. I wouldn't go without it even if someone paid me! After my surgery and reconstruction it was impossible to wear one. I'm now at the point that it feels strange to have a bra on! The tables have turned big time but I don't mind one bit!! So...let's all burn them!! :o)

Live Long, Laugh Often, Farm Much!!
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  7:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
I often wondered what people thought on the subject of bras...this has been entertaining! I am and have always been a 38B...not too big, not too small. But, when I get out of bed in the morning, I can only go a little while without a bra...they get achy and uncomfortable if they are not supported! I have plenty of camis with the built in bra, but I tend to wear a thin cotton bra with thin straps underneath for extra support. I really like the Bali bras for comfort and good fit. Not cheap, but worth the money...oh, and no underwire. They don't bother me, but I tend to have at least one of the underwires poke through and have to be removed, and there goes another bra!

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  7:51:59 PM  Show Profile
There is a store called Intimacy here in Atlanta and they are supposed to be the best place to be fitted for a bra. I believe it was the founder of this store that was on Oprah. I haven't been as of yet because the bras are very expensive. But, apparently once you are fitted, you never travel back to Wally-World for a $7.50 bra!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  2:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
I've enjoyed the read! Thanks gals! Reminds me of being in the sorority house when I was in college and we would get on the subject of bras.

Susan, this was great, I just ROFL!

quote:
Funny bra story: We are getting married...my mom INSISTED on a dress, even though it was a casual ceremony, at my parents house with a judge (a woman judge! - some folks were mortified!)...

As for me, I had nothing until 10th grade and then I barely fit in a A. While nursing I was a B and had to wear the bra. After both kids I was a solid A. Now that I'm 40 plus and a little weight gain I'm a solid B. I also hate bras and if I'm home for the day I don't wear one. On occasion if I have a huge t-shirt on I will not wear one out because it is so uncomfortable in the heat even with my all cotton bras. The only underwire bra I own is a sleeveless one. Up until my 40 something weight gain I couldn't wear sleeveless one because I like Susan would have it fall with strapless dresses.

As for nursing with a baby prefering one side I had my daughter prefer my left side starting at about 48 hours after my milk came in. Ouch, was I in utter pain. I was told to force my daughter to nurse on the right. I never offered the left and for two hours she screamed, refusing. That was in itself awlful. She finally accepted and then I never had another problem. I'm not sure which hurt more, her screaming or my pain. As for my son, he was born hungry, and ate constantly it seemed. He was nursing every 2 hours for the first three weeks, and at one point that B cup was so very tight. I never had a problem with preferences with him. I think the hardest part of nursing for me was when my milk dried up at 4 months with my daughter. I felt as if I had failed. Fortunately, I had a great peditrican that told me he wished he had more mothers that even wanted to nurse. He said I'd gone further then most mothers whose baby's were under his care. That's when I realized why I was getting such strange looks from so many when they asked what formula I used after giving birth to DD. Must have been an East Texas thing.....as that was where we were living at the time.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

momshopalotta
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  2:26:42 PM  Show Profile
I have stains on just about all of my shirts from my "dripcatchers". Every thing I eat drips down and stains my shirts. My only option short of an underwire bra is to throw them over my shoulders and cover them with suspenders. I read a story years ago that your breasts are supposed to be the perfect size when you bend over and your breast fits into a wine glass. I on the hand filled a five gallon bucket.
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  9:02:04 PM  Show Profile
I love to go braless now but when I was in my teen's& 20's I was too embaressed because I was so small I needed a 32AA teen bra! So I went for any bra that made me look bigger, Now in my forties (I have finally gotten up to a 34 B) but prefer to go without one most of the time. Since I wear overalls on the farm most of the time it does't matter . I have come to appreciate my body more as I age . Small boobs , oily skin , and looking younger than I am, are things that are a plus now but weren't when I was in my 20's!

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  09:11:46 AM  Show Profile
Connie, you actually made me guffaw!

I personally will not go without a bra (I haven't since high school when a boy went to snap my bra strap and didn't find one - worse than the snap!) and I just won't even consider looking at a study that tells me I'm hurting myself by wearing one. I'm absolutely miserable without everything strapped into place.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  11:57:48 AM  Show Profile
So for those of us less endowed, the answer should be a simple one. And sorry big gals, but those of us who don't need the underwire sometimes must really search to find our comfort! It's one of those things where if you find something that really fits and is hard to find, I'll buy it in 2's and 3's.

since i't's been so bloomin' hot, I'm usually donning a camisole too, or tank top layered over a t-shirt The elastic around my middle it too much sometimes!! Have also started wearing those tankini tops. The elastic is lighter duty and not so itchy.
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  5:59:49 PM  Show Profile
Am I too late for the bra ?. just found this thread after reading about it in to shave or not shave.
As I write, my most expensive /supportive victoria's secret bra is next to me on the floor. My best friend talked me into spending over 20.00 on this puppy and let me tell you it is NOT comfy. I will say,however, I actually look like I have some "bumps" in it. I only wear it on Sunday or for special occassions.
I like the one who said we should have a bra rack @ the door. I too am shoes and bras off as soon as I come home from work. Mine are a whopping 34 almost B. Okay...I know... there are people groaning out there. Truth is they were never even big when I nursed all 4 boys. I topped out at 34C! (tons of milk and no side preferences from any of them)
If I'm not wearing lightweight clothing, then I'm not wearing a bra. The only ones I like are made by Barely There. No back hook just pull over your head. Not a "t" back theses are so uncomfortable. Also the material is very lightweight not heavy like most sport bras. And Definitly no Wires.
My MOM and Sister hate me. They are a 38D and 42DD respectively. When I was younger I hated being flat. Now I love it. The best part is when they are small they don't fall.
I loved the strapless bra wedding story. Laughed till I cried!

teddie
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  10:19:25 PM  Show Profile
I just thought of a funny bra story...

My dad had this divorced friend who's young teenage daughter was visiting him for the weekend. He could see she had something strapped around her middle like a belt and he asked her what was going on with her outfit. She said, "oh, that's my bra. Mom says I have to wear one now." I guess she was following her mom's bra rules to the letter, just not to the spirit.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  3:30:26 PM  Show Profile
I was lucky to be a size an A cup most my life until I had four kids and hit my late 30's. At a teen I was dismayed to be so flat chested that when my date would try to feel me up he couldn't tell if I was up or down without my belly button! Now I'm 38 C. I hate bra's but if I don't wear one it hurts. I mostly wear underwire cause the regular bras make me look very droopy. When I get home I put on a sport bra and I usually sleep in them too. If I ever go without a bra my husb acts like a kid in a candy store, so um...no I wear something on my "girls" most the time.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  3:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia -- tee hee -- what is it about 'loose' breasts that make a man . . . oh, you know!
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  12:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Y'know...the few times I decide to let them hang loose in the heat of the day seems to be the times my father-in-law stops in for a glass of iced tea after haying... NOT my idea of a good time!!!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  8:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
Re the big bra issue, personally I nearly always wear one, but I never ever wear underwire bras. I used to work for the head office of radiography in Australia (the people who do mammagrams) and he told me to never wear underwire. He said there is no actual scientific evidence but mammographers say that they see more problems in women who have always worn tight, underwire bras. I would assume all to do with circulation. It is very difficult to find bras without underwire, though, especially lacy ones. I tend to buy a few at a time if I find a good one and I seem to have mainly sports type bras as these are the ones without wire.
I figure even though there is no proof, better to be safe than sorry - and I never liked underwire anyway so good excuse to ditch it!!!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  10:42:48 AM  Show Profile
Ok...I decided to bring the subject back up. I too just read the back issue of Maryjanes 3rd edition page 80. It talks about the effects of wearing tight bras have on the circulation within the breasts and on the lymphatic system, and the connection between breast cancer and wearing tight bras. This really caught my attention...Both my gram, her sister died from breast cancer. My mom and aunt have both had lumps removed ...

I immediately went into the bathroom took off my bra, put on a tank top (under my t-shirt), looked straight in the mirror and then a side profile and realized there wasn't much difference in my appearance.

I asked my daughter what she thought and she said oh no Mom you have to wear a bra. So I had her read the article and said if your Dad doesn't think it looks bad, I am buying more cami's (without the support shelf) and I am switching to full time braless. She was mortified!

Well my dear sweet hubby said I look just fine, he really couldn't tell, so last night we went to the movies...I went braless, it felt great. I wasn't sore when I got undressed last night at all. My back doesn't even hurt.

Today I put on a camisole that has seams down the front of each breast and asked my daughter ok am I braless? She said no, I said gotcha..see you can't tell! I never thought with my chest size I could ever go braless and feel so comfortable, but it feels great and I hope more women out there are able to do the same for themselves (if you feel comfortable).

Here's to your health....

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  12:12:05 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Tammy,

My bra is the second thing to come off when I get home, not that I need one for support; it's just more for show! I may look into the camisole thing...certainly it is more comfortable going braless!

Here's to YOUR health, too. I had my annual mammo last Friday, so if you haven't had yours in the last 12 months (or more frequently if you have issues) - get on the schedule, ladies! Squish those squashes, as they say!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  4:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I go braless unless I am going to leave the house. I hate bras with a passion!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  5:15:35 PM  Show Profile
I could never go in public braless..but I wish I could. I hardly ever wear one at home...and probably should..but it sure IS more comfortable!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  5:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Once I get home the bra comes off!
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  6:28:39 PM  Show Profile
Believe it or not, DH hates me to go braless, but I love it. I'm with Jenny - I SHOULD wear one, but anytime I can get away with it, I don't.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic To bra or not to bra, that is my question!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page