Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 herbal help for mouth sores, ? help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic herbal help for mouth sores, ? help! Next Topic  

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  1:36:13 PM  Show Profile
OK, all my herb-wise farmgirls. I could use some help here, all of my kids have the Coxsakie virus, aka Hand, Foot and Mouth disease...they have yucky, painful sores in their mouths and throats..anybody know of an herbal help??
The youngest, Chloe 3, and baby Emme who is just barely 1, are the most miserable.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Love and light to you, sisters
Kate

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  10:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Ouch Kate! Have you tried "Lysine" tablets? You can buy them in the vitamin section at any drug store. They come in a regular or fast acting strength. I buy the fast acting. Not sure it's a cure for the virus the kids have, but sure will heal up mouth sores fast! The tablets are typically HUGE so you may have to crush them & put them in pudding or applesauce for the little ones.

A ten to one gargle of peroxide helps sometimes too. You shouldn't swallow it though-and that can be hard to explain to small childen.
Hope they feel better soon-that's just miserable!

Blessings,
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  10:51:16 PM  Show Profile
I just heard a solution of half water and half hydrygon peroxide works great

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun.
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  10:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Try Tea tree oil. It helps so many skin trouble and is an antibacterial. Also Fresh Aloe Vera works wonders... tastes not so good, but helps!

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  10:25:41 AM  Show Profile
kate, send me your addy. I have a salve that is bees wax, plaintain, comfrey and chickweed. its amazing. My friend makes it and it is wonderful! I use it on everything now from diaper rash to bug bites to eczema.....

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  9:08:17 PM  Show Profile
well, this isn't herbal, but when my little girl got fever blisters in her mouth when she was a baby I made a mixture of pepto bismol, baby benadryl and liquid baby tylenol,as per the pediatrician's advice.. you just swab it on lightly with a q-tip the tylenol for pain, the benadryl for allergy reactions and the pepto bismol for the stomach acid that sometimes can contribute to that sort of thing.
Anyhow..yes, the tea tree oil is good for fungus problems..but me personally.. I'd be very careful about putting certain herbals in my kids mouths especially at that age.When they are still not fully developed in their little systems on determining allergies and so forth.
I know you asked for herbal, but that's the thing that worked for us...sorry it doesn't fit into the herbal category though, but thought I'd chime in as it did help in our situation.In either case..I do hope the kids all get to feeling better real soon.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  04:43:43 AM  Show Profile
Tina
I have been doing a mixture similar to the one you describe...if I don't keep up with tylenol and advil, they won't eat or drink and I don't want them dehydrated, especially in this heat! I am not the type of Mama to run to the drs for every sneeze, and I only use meds when necessary, but I can't let them cry and cry in pain!!! I am sure you all understand and feel the same
Tami,
Wouldn't the tea tree oil really burn a baby's mouth?
My sis in law, who is really into herbs told me to put cayenne pepper in their mouths!!! Ouch!!
Just wondering if you know if it would burn?
Thanks you guys. YOu are great.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  6:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Kate~ I was reading that some studies show that Chamomile has been effective in treating mouth ulcers and such...The herb fights inflammation and helps the wounds heal...Also-a gentle sedative ...Can be taken internally or cooled and used as a mouthwash-up to 4 cups a day...
Jan

Edited by - theherblady on Jul 18 2006 6:13:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  9:13:59 PM  Show Profile
I thought I read on the "Pepto" bottle that it should never be given to children, as it contains the same ingredient in asprin that causes Reyes Syndrome. Just thought I would mention it-want to keep all our babies safe.

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  07:23:55 AM  Show Profile
I agree about Lysine! I tend to get mouth ulcers whenever my ph is messed up and I have found that it is the one thing that does the trick in the last amount of time!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  10:21:56 AM  Show Profile
How about swishing baking soda mixed with water around in their mouths? We've done that with sores caused by eating too much acidic food - citrus, tomatoes, etc. Again, not recommended for swallowing, but I do not know if baking sode do any harm to little ones?
Poor babies - get well soon!

Jo
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic herbal help for mouth sores, ? help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page