EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  5:18:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals - I have started many herb plants from seeds this year that I will be using for various medicinal uses. Does anyone grow and use Mullein, St. John's Wort, Queen Anne's Lace or any other not so run-of-the mill herbs?
I know that oil infused with Mullein is good for earaches. Please share you tips with me!
Blessed Be~

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 28 2006 :  7:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy, I only use Queen Anne's lace for a natural dye for my wool but I know it's a diuretic & affects skin pigmentation. It is sometimes used in commercial preperations for psoriasis. Also it's legally restricted in some countries. St. Johns Wart (Hypericum) is a bit confusing because there is Guttiferae which is used in creams, oils and tincturs but harmful if eaten and then there is perforatum which is used internally for anxiety, mild depression, tension & even menopause. Hope it helps some.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Stellaraye
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stella
Grande-Digue NB
Canada
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  1:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Stellaraye an ICQ Message
Hi Kathy!
I have some experience with St. John's Wort which is not pretty! It causes blindness and eventually death in sheep that eat it. Yes, this is not a fact that many people know or that herb merchants want you to know. I studied plant science and 'weeds' in particular at an Agricultural College and have seen first hand what SJW does to animals and it's scary. There are some labels that state that SJW, or rather the hypericine in it, causes 'sun sensitivities' and that you shouldn't go in the sun when you take it, but most bottles don't say that. In fact, I almost DID go blind while using it myself, thinking that a small dose (little pills) could not possibly do to me what the whole plant does to animals. I was wrong. I screamed from the pain in my eyes... YEs, St. John's Wort may be legal, but it sure is not SAFE!!!
Mullein is not only good for earaches, but also for lung problems, colds, flus, that sort of thing.
I make tinctures from herbs, but only from the ones I know are absolutely as safe for me as can be. Sure, 'safe' is a relative term, I know that, but I won't use, either for myself or for clients, herbs with accompanying research that show even the slightest hint of being toxic in normal dose and under normal conditions. I learned my lesson with that Hypericum perforatum!
So please be careful. Do your research thoroughly!
Love the Farmgirl Connection!
Stella
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  10:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Stella for the info - I am a student at Clayton College and learning more every day. I for one, would not take St. Johns Wort with the prescription medications I take - just doing research.
Blessed Be!

Go to Top of Page

Stellaraye
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stella
Grande-Digue NB
Canada
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  1:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Stellaraye an ICQ Message
Hi Kathy!
Your Spring has arrived where you are? What kind of herbs do you grow in your garden, or should I say, what herbs grow everywhere where you are? I'm wondering if you have access to Self-Heal (Prunella vulgaris) and Evening Primrose, the wild version, Oenothera biennis, from which I want the leaves, not the seeds?
I use both extensively and I can't find them here... at least not in the suburb where I live! I haven't set up my greenhouse yet to grow them myself either. Do you know them?
I would appreciate any help
Stella
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  7:18:39 PM  Show Profile
I have not heard of self-heal - tell me about that one. Evening Primrose - I have something I got from my mom's yard years ago and they are still spreading here - she called them German Buttercups - they are yellow and very pretty and reseed every year. I will have to get a picture of them and you can tell me if that is what you are looking for.
Spring in NJ? hahaha what is that - right now it is caterpillar season and it has been cold in the mornings - so weird this year I don't remember one quite like it. Tomorrow is supposed to climb into the 80's - I ordered a lot of unusual seeds from ebay this year and have had excellent luck with them. I am growing Queen Anne's Lace and my Mullein plants look wonderful, St. Johns Wort - of course, Lemon Balm does fabulous here and I have mints and other run-of-the-mill herbs I keep in pots.
Tell me about all you grow and how you use them

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Need Tips on Herb Plants Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page