tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  4:49:05 PM  Show Profile
Is anybody else still knitting out there.. I love knitting socks, have made lots of socks, sweaters, washcloths, hats, even the Great American Afghan. Everyone seems to talk crochet, but that has not appealed to me lately

Tammy

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  4:54:16 PM  Show Profile
I am usually a knitter, but am trying really hard to learn crochet. I just love granny sqaures! I will probably learn them and go right back to knitting though.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  5:23:14 PM  Show Profile
I know how to do both, however, I am much more experienced with crochet. I soooo bad want to learn to knit socks. There isnt much as far as classes go around here for knitting.

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  5:42:02 PM  Show Profile
Angela, as far as socks go, I taught myself with the help of a book. (left-handed, of course) The hard part for me was figuring out DP needles. Once I learned to control them, the rest of the sock was easy, even turning the heel. I also taught myself knitting, and taught myself to crochet about 25 years ago. My Gma was disappointed when I took up knitting, as she and I both used to love to crochet.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  6:13:44 PM  Show Profile
I've been trying to learn to knit for a while. I bought one of those "learn to knit" kits and I just don't get it. I've found some very helpful videos on YouTube to learn knitting and I like watching them. It is much easier for me to learn something if I have someone else to watch --and I don't know anyone around here who knows how to knit (well that can still actually do it anyway).

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  7:07:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm a knitter. I can single chain crochet and do really basic stuff to edge knitted things but have never tried to do a crochet pattern.
There are always knitters around. Case in point- When I was first learning to knit I took a plane trip with my first scarf in process. I knitted for an hour and horror of horrors I dropped a stitch and had no clue how to fix it. I sat there frustrated and imagining not having a project to work on for the whole trip. Then it occurred to me there might be a knitter on the plane. Hummmm I finally stood up, turned around, held up my knitting and said " I need some help with a dropped stitch. Can anyone help me?" A hand went up several rows back and I spent a few minutes learning how to fix a dropped stitch somewhere over CO. She was an excellent teacher. I was a grateful student!
Ask around you never know where you might find a teacher. : )
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  05:20:53 AM  Show Profile
Knitting socks can be very addictive. And I love the way they fit to your own foot size. I always look for sock yarn on sale and buy it up as my pocket book allows. Nothing snugglier than hand knit woolie socks on a cold winter's night!

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Read2me
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Cato Wisconsin
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  11:55:24 AM  Show Profile
I'm a knitter and also am addicted to knitting socks. I like to knit the self-striping ones. You are right - nothing is better than hand knit woolie socks in winter and it does get cold here!
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  1:12:53 PM  Show Profile
I can do basic crochet. I just learned to knit using You-tube videos. Just about drove DH crackers! lol. But I am so proud to say I can now knit, purl, increase and decrease. So far, under my belt, I've completed 20 baby washcloths, and 2 1/2 dishcloths. My oldest grandaughter (21) wants to learn. Yippee! I'm not good at teaching. I'll direct her to You- tube. Those teachers are so patient, and will show you over and over and over and over......lol.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  9:01:34 PM  Show Profile
I knit and crochet both but knit alot more often. I especially love to knit socks and always have a pair going. I have a dishcloth or bib in cotton yarn going in the car as a "waiting time" project all the time too..it is amazing how many I get finished that way! And I am knitting a shawl right now..just a comforting mindless knitting sort of thing...a triangle garter stitch peice of comfort to wear on cold nights..It is nearly done. I love crocheting as well..but I like to do crochet with tiny stuff..doilies and lace..and knit with yarn for some reason. I learned both as a little kid from my grandma.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  9:57:31 PM  Show Profile
I love knitting! I am a yarn freak! I have an old trunk that is running over with yarn. Working on a soapsac right now. LOL
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  06:45:47 AM  Show Profile
I love to knit! I just learned last fall and I am completely addicted. I am working on a shrug which is my first big project. I've made a couple hats and several dishcloths. I just picked up sock yarn yesterday and cannot wait to learn how to make socks.
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  09:31:36 AM  Show Profile
My name is Turtle, I am a knit-aholic! I started 5 years ago and now knit, spin and dye on a daily basis. If i am not knitting hubby asks if i am ok, lol. We won't even get into stash! I did not allow myself to go to the lys yesterday for their yearly big sale... to dangerous!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  5:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Glad I am not the only one who has multiple projects going. I have the triangular garter stitch shawl going in a ribbon yarn, a pair of socks, some basic garter stitch afghan blocks for a lap robe to donate to the nursing home, and my great american Aran afghan. Just finished a soap sack, and have the patterns and yarn picked out for two more pairs of socks. I also just picked up Fons and Porter's "Love of Knitting" magazine and found 3 or 4 more sweaters i want to make. Just to be fair, I also picked up a book of crocheted granny square patterns to use up my acrylic yarn stash for lap robes. Tanya, I loved your intro...I would love to learn to spin. i am also thinking of using a couple of Amazon gift cards that I have for a bobbin lace kit to try to learn that. Why i need more fiber crafts, I have absolutely no idea!

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

Read2me
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Cato Wisconsin
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  7:00:49 PM  Show Profile
I learned to knit at age 6 from a wonderful aunt who passed away this past Jan. My dear mother taught me to crochet when I was young, too. I made my first big project at age 16: an afghan. My mom and I kept everything, so we were disappointed when we oculd not find that afghan pattern after all these years. She and I would always look for the pattern if we came across a book,magazine, etc. - no luck. At my aunt's funeral, I asked my cousin if I could have a pair of knitting needles or something to remind me of my aunt. Three weeks later I got this big box. When I opened it, what was on top but MY PATTERN!!!! I immediately called my cousin and she had no idea. She said she just threw it in last minute. I called my mom who was thrilled to figure out what had happened to it after all these years. I knew it was mine and my mother must have lent it to my aunt years ago. It was the only one my aunt had not made notes on since it was ours. I am enjoying going through my aunts old magazines and reading her comments.

Go to Top of Page

LightGreenThumb
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Elizabeth
Spokane WA
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  7:10:33 PM  Show Profile
I love to knit too. I taught myself after I learned to spin. Had to make something out of all that yarn I was making. My first project was a difficult pattern that looked easy. It left out a lot that the experienced knitter would know. I ripped it out at least 4 times but after that the other patterns have come pretty easy. So if you are just learning, stick with it. It is so enjoyable once you get past the learning curve! I usually have a few projects going all at once too. Socks, gifts and children's things are my favorite. I don't do many sweaters maybe I will have more time for larger projects when the kids are gone in few years.

Elizabeth <><
Farmgirl #3091

Simplicity is Beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  7:31:57 PM  Show Profile
I am a yarn addict. Love to knit and crochet, but knitting is my first love. I can't even remember learning how to do it, I've been knitting forever.

Karin
Farmgirl #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  10:23:20 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, i am with you on the bobbin lace/tatting! I have had it in my hands more than once. The big reason i didn't go to the lys was their 20% sale on even the knitters loom... which i so want, lol! Not enough time in the day already for the crafts/etc!! Like we need more! :)

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  11:26:36 PM  Show Profile
I have been pretending to knit for a couple of years. It always feels strange to me. I seem to get all tangled up like trying to eat with chopsticks. I did get a knitter's bible book and I made a sampler scarf practicing many different stitches. I'm trying to improve to be proficient at knitting socks. I can crochet very well. I sell a lot of hats with a front post back post design. I'm a sucker in a yarn shop!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  05:31:03 AM  Show Profile
I love to knit and crochet. Right now I am knitting things for charity. I'm working on knitting some baby hats and matching booties and some prayer shawls. I'm also crocheting two different kinds of afghans. Don't know what I am going to do with them yet, but I'm sure that there will be someome who will want them. I cannot just sit and do nothing. My hands always have to be busy.
hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  05:49:00 AM  Show Profile
I taught myself to knit last fall. It came in handy this winter, I fell and broke my ankle and had nothing to do for 3 months. I knit washcloths and scarves for the ladies that broght food by and sent cards and called while I was laid up. I've made a few baby hats for friends.. I'm making a sweater/shawl for my grandma and then one fom my gram-in-law, from the MJ's magazine. It's just knit every row so it's easy to pick up.

I've tried crochet, but's it's too hart for me. I wanted to be able to make hats and scarves for my kids, maybe even mittens someday. I cross stitch too, but have put it aside the past few years. I like to have my hands busy when I sit down to relax.

BTW Tammy, I have relatives in Reedsburg, visited there every year when I was growing up. Such a nice town, very beautiful in the fall.

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  11:54:13 AM  Show Profile
I learned to knit when I was about 6 years old. I've made afghans and only one sweater. I would like to try doing a sweater again and also try socks. I have some yarn to make a pair of hand warmers (which I hope to finish before it gets cold again!). Mostly trying to use up my stash so lately I have been making dishcloths, scarves, hats and crocheting an afghan.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Moonshines
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Lorrae
Craig Co
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  12:14:39 PM  Show Profile
I love to knit learned a few hundred years ago and then put the needles away I decided to start again about 3 years ago I had forgot it all. We have a great group that knits every Monday night and help each other out with the problems that has been the best.

Happy knitting
Moonshines

Purpose in your Heart, Passion in your LIFE.
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  2:39:06 PM  Show Profile
Elise, You know Reedsburg? That is cool. A lot of people know Wisconsin Dells, which is only 15 minutes away, but not Reedsburg. I love this state and this part of the state. We have some land about 30 minutes west of here and we plan to build in a year or so.

I wish I had someone to knit with. I work at home, so tend to not meet a lot of people. I know I should get out more, but I love spending my time at home reading, crafting, cooking, not cleaning!

I just finished the first sock in a pair today and need to get the second one cast on, that second one is so hard to do! Keep knitting!

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

Read2me
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Cato Wisconsin
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  06:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Tammy - I also know Reedsburg. One of my college roommates had a cottage on Lake Redstone we used to go to when in school. Also, we are from Cato - outside of Manitowoc - so we visit the Dells.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  7:17:59 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, if you are ever in the Dells, let me know and maybe we can get together. Lake Redstone, huh? Must be nice. Most of those are owned by people from out of town as vacation homes. Too pricey for us! Oh well, they bring in money to the community so that is a good thing! My husband is familiar with Cato. He is from Kewaunee originally, his family still lives there.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page