Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Pressure cooker recipes (Keep the kitchen cool!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure cooker recipes (Keep the kitchen cool!) Next Topic  

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  04:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday night I made a whole dinner in the pressure cooker! I took one of those pre-seasoned pork loins, sliced some holes in it, and stuffed them with garlic from the garden. I then took potatoes and onions, and sliced them up and put them in the bottom of the crockpot. I put some Mrs. Dash's seasoning on them, and then put some chicken broth in the bottom (Probably 1.5 cups) I then put the pork tenderloin on top and pressure cooked it for 20 minutes (There was only 2 of us, so I only cooked 1 lb). The meat was SO tender, and it didn't heat the house up hardly at all, and I had my whole meal, DONE!

I'd love some other pressure cooker recipes. I know we've got crockpot recipes here, but pressure cookers are a different breed! I LOVE my pressure cooker! Anything to keep the heat down in the kitchen!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  10:23:53 AM  Show Profile
I have not had good results with my pressure cooker. In fact, I bought another crockpot to replace the one I got rid of in order to justify the pressure cooker. Maybe my cooker is too small. Every time I use it the meat does not come out tender at all. It's done but tough. I also have a hard time telling when the little knobby thing is steaming correctly. My mother used a pressure cooker a lot for canning. I don't remember her ever using for regular cooking.

Any hints? I'm ready to give it away.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  10:37:14 AM  Show Profile
Make sure that your rubber seal is in good condition, if it's cracked or hard you need to by a new one. And the pressure valve must be completely clean, I use a pipe cleaner on mine. The "knobby" thing is I think the weight? I call it the rocker, when the pressure has built up in the cooker it begins to rock a bit to let off the steam, thats when I begin timing. Try it again, once you become used to using these, you really will be surprised at how quickly it will make a meal. I am looking for my pressure canning cookbook and the recipes that I have in my book that I have used successfully in the past.
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  12:51:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, adnama. The seal should be okay. The cooker is only a year old and hasn't been used much and I lubricate it whenever I use it. Yes, the rocker. Do you start timing at the first little spit or do you wait for a consistent spit? My directions say to have the burner on high until the spitting starts and then turn down the heat. However when I do that it stops spitting.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure cooker recipes (Keep the kitchen cool!) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page