Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Summer Squash Next Topic  

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  09:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
My neighbor (who lives alone) planted about 30 hills of yellow summer squash. Needless to say, we have squash coming out of our ears! My husband will only eat them fried. Is there a way to flash-freeze them and fry later? I'm thinking they have too much water in them to do it successfully (I know okra can be mealed and frozen, ready to fry.) Any ideas?

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  09:50:40 AM  Show Profile
30 hills? LOL We planted 2 squash plants, there are 2 of us and we have squash coming out or ears. I looked through my canning/freezing books to see if anyone mentioned being able to fry later and couldn't find a thing. When you freeze/can squash it gets quite soft, but I wonder if you couldn't freeze/can like you normally do and then instead of frying a "slice" of battered squash (which would be too soft) if you could chop up the thawed squash and mix into a batter (like you do crabcakes or corn fritters) and make a squash fritter. Seems like it would taste the same or very similar to batter fried squash. Also, for the first time this year I dehydrated some squash. When I tested rehydrating it was still pretty sturdy and might even be sturdy enough to batter/fry. Good luck and let us know of any ideas you come up with. My 2 plants have me brimming with squash.
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  11:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Thanks - I didn't think of fritters. My DH loves anything fried - and I've severely limited him, but always cave to fresh squash. Yeah, 30 hills. 3 would have fed the two of us and him all we wanted, but he's a gardener at heart and just can't do things small. I'm going to try some fritters with blanched squash from my freezer and see hwo it goes. If it's a hit, then I'll be in business - and I'll let you know!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  11:18:26 AM  Show Profile
I grate my zucchini, and freeze it in 2 cups or 4 cup bags. I thaw them and squeeze out the water, and make breads and brownies with them. I also have frozen them sliced, for stews and casseroles. There is a delicious recipe we make now called squash patties, using yellow squash.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  12:50:30 PM  Show Profile
Holly - I think Kristina makes a good point. When you thaw the squash, squeeze all the water out so your fritters will be nice and crisp.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  5:48:43 PM  Show Profile
Wow - that's a lot of squash:D Your neighbor could take a bunch to the food bank. That's what I did with my plethora of zucchini a couple of years back, and rhubarb too.

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Summer Squash Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page