New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic A fun project Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  06:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Clare's posting about vintage luggage reminded me of a project we did with my Mom's group some years ago. We had heard that foster kids never have anything to put their stuff in and suitcases were always needed. So we collected those hard 1960's & 70's type (seemed like everyone had a few) and decided to decoupage them. Bears, race cars you name it, but we knew they were going to children. One of the girls brought back the most beautiful handpainted suitcases you ever wanted to see. And in a very karmic turn of events, one of our members adopted a little girl a few years later that came to her with one of the suitcases!
I also happened to see in a very posh shop a few years ago some very cool trunks and old round zip cases that had been deco'd and painted for HUGE money! Another recycling project for all our spare time!

with a happy heart

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  07:44:22 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, What a creative idea!!!!! Thanks for sharing this.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  3:13:34 PM  Show Profile
I love that idea!! The foster kids and adopted kids we have would have loved that!! Some came with their things in garbage bags!!! What a wonderful idea!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  5:55:55 PM  Show Profile
I nominate this idea for a Farmgirl Chapter project... I firmly believe that we should not just be doing things to please ourselves, but also giving back.... and this is a wonderful way to give back. Whatdoyousay, girls?

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  6:46:55 PM  Show Profile
I think it's a great idea. I don't know much about decoupage but I am sure I can learn it fairly easily.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  11:01:31 PM  Show Profile
LOVE IT!!!!!!!! It is easy to learn Kathy...you could do it for sure!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  10:44:52 AM  Show Profile
What a neat idea, I agree it would make a great farmgirl chapter project. We should have a separate forum for Chapter Projects.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  11:11:33 AM  Show Profile
What awesome women you all are! It would be a great project and I would love to do it again! And yes I agree, though I'm all for fun; service to our communities is important also!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  11:33:15 AM  Show Profile
That is a great idea! Both doing it for oneself and for others! I 've never tried decoupage either but I'd be game!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  11:55:58 AM  Show Profile
I would love to do a project like this! I have done decoupage. My mother and I did it together in the 60's, and I have done it off an on over the years. It can become addicting! She made my daughter a decoupaged little traincase 15 years ago using pictures of Victorian print flowers.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  12:07:09 PM  Show Profile
I had another thought on where to donate the suitcases...Women's and Children's Shelters. The smaller ones could be filled with personal care products? Just a thought. Maybe baby items, diapers, things to brighten the day for moms and their kids.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  1:21:19 PM  Show Profile
We heard you loud and clear -- you want a place where you can post project ideas. There's a brand-new forum on the main page -- Farmgirl Chapters Projects. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Carol

she laughed and laughed ...
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  9:20:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Carol!It's nice to be heard!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic A fun project Next Topic