Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Farm Transition Next Topic  

Delia Bucur
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Delia
Reading Massachusetts
USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  10:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Delia Bucur a Yahoo! Message
Hello,

I am a city girl from the Boston area and have always been interested in farming, sustainable living and growing my own organic foods. I work in the corporate world and dream of one day having my own farm but I cannot seem to find a way to enter this new reality and be able to survive out of the corporate environment. I do not have enough resources and skills to get my own farm and produce enough to sell and support myself ...

Is there anyone else here who found themselves in this situation and found concrete ways to make this dream come true?

Thanks,
Delia

aeminasian
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Alice
Danbury Connecticut
USA
89 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  3:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Delia,
I'm in the same situation as you! I haven't found a solution yet, but I'm starting with small steps. I joined a wonderful Farmgirl chapter nearby and a lot of the girls knit, so just this weekend, I tried knitting again after many, many years. I also want to grow my own organic veggies and eventually earn a living doing something that I love and that's meaningful. I ordered a book called "The Backyard Homestead" by Carleen Madigan, but I'm still living in a townhouse in the city, so I haven't been able to try my hand at the veggies yet. If anyone out there has any suggestions, I would also love to know! Thanks for asking the question!
Ali
Farmgirl #12

Farmgirl #12
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  5:30:19 PM  Show Profile
I am in the same situation. I have been doing lots of reading though and do what I can. I also like The Backyard Homestead, as well as the Encyclopedia for Country Living. I grow my veggies in containers on my little patio, and can what I grow and what is on sale at Aldi. ust surrounding yourself with like-mided individuals is always a big help too!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  07:54:54 AM  Show Profile
Are there any CSA's in your area that have membership open? That might be a good way to get into growing your own food and a great way to learn from others.

Kate
Farmgirl Sister #862
http://www.wildwomanglamgirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

NeeNee
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

WhiTTneY
South point Ohio
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  11:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Send NeeNee a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by aeminasian

Hi Delia,
I'm in the same situation as you! I haven't found a solution yet, but I'm starting with small steps. I joined a wonderful Farmgirl chapter nearby and a lot of the girls knit, so just this weekend, I tried knitting again after many, many years. I also want to grow my own organic veggies and eventually earn a living doing something that I love and that's meaningful. I ordered a book called "The Backyard Homestead" by Carleen Madigan, but I'm still living in a townhouse in the city, so I haven't been able to try my hand at the veggies yet. If anyone out there has any suggestions, I would also love to know! Thanks for asking the question!
Ali
Farmgirl #12

Farmgirl #12

do u have a porch or balcony.you could do pots. that what i started in before i had a yard to us.

FaRmGirL SiStEr# 3203
~ The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain. ~
~A Bible That is falling apart Probably belong to someone who isnt~
*Being fueled with self-determination can make us stive for great things.*

http://my2.tupperware.com/whittneyc
http://hislilwildflower.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Farm Transition Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page