Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 natural ways to help induce labor at home
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic natural ways to help induce labor at home Next Topic  

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  3:03:02 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if any of you ladies who are near or over your due dates wanted me to tell you how I "started" my labor...I used a couple different methods, most are easy, all are safe (relatively) but only if you are 38+ weeks...
Anyhow, if you are desperate, let me know.
It has worked for me 3 times.
Love
Kate

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  3:31:21 PM  Show Profile
Kate, with my first son, I "started" my own labor, probably with a method that you have. With my second, they induced me. That had to be the worst 10 hours of torture that I have ever been through, just to have it end in an emergency C-section!

www.kaintuck.blogspot.com
http://melissac.stayinhomeandlovinit.com
http://www.freewebs.com/lawsec03
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  3:52:36 PM  Show Profile
Kate, Kate, Kate! I've been dying to hear from you! Regarding the "pathetic plea inside" thread about pen-pals: send me your snail mail address and I'll get you on the list of the "second-round-pen-pals" group. I tried to send you an email, but it didn't work! Can't wait to hear from you...

Regarding natural ways to induce: I was about *this* close to needing your help way back in January! My son was one week late and the doctors started talking about inducing. The midwives all resounded: "no way!" Sigh. Luckily, Jackson decided to start coming on his own that afternoon! The umbilical cord wrapped around his neck made us end up in an emergency C-section anyway, but everyone came out of it healthy!!

Pregnant Moms! Who are you? I've been thinking about the bunches of women who have said that they're due any day now but haven't seen any talk of the babes yet. How are things going?!? Wishing you well!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  4:03:35 PM  Show Profile
First of all, this post must be a divine intervention because I was just praying for God to help my labor to start!!!!

Please let me know anything. I have been doing the pelvic rocking and having sex as prescribed. : )

I am at 40 weeks and all my babies are *BIG.* 8lbs 6oz, 9lbs, 9lbs 2oz. On Tues I was dilated to a 2 and only 50% effaced and my baby was not very low. I feel like the baby has gone farther down today. And I have had another sign, I don't guess people want all the details. But, tomorrow I go and my midwife is going to strip my membranes. We did this for my last pregnancy too and it didn't have any effect whatsoever, but it's worth a try.

So, please let me know any kind of help. I am supposed to be induced Monday morning.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Jul 13 2006 5:19:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  5:42:23 PM  Show Profile
I am way past the childbearing age but find all this interesting. With my 2nd (12 years ago) my labor was induced but only because my water had broken and I was not having good contractions. The intensity of the pains was pretty bad and I was very glad for the epidural. My question is this -- if a person is having a normal pregnancy and there are not health problems why is inducing necessary? Nature knows when it's time for the baby to come and the labor will start when it is supposed to. Just curious if there is a reason that is new since I had my babies.

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  5:42:52 PM  Show Profile
Walking helps some. I drank castor oil mixed in with orange juice. It is an old wives tale that if your baby is ready, and you drink castor oil, it will start your labor. Just be prepared for a surprise, because it is a laxative! The castor oil worked with my first, but not with my second.

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  6:29:51 PM  Show Profile
"if a person is having a normal pregnancy and there are not health problems why is inducing necessary? Nature knows when it's time for the baby to come and the labor will start when it is supposed to. Just curious if there is a reason that is new since I had my babies."

I went 8 days over with my last one and she weighed 9lbs 2oz. I was beyond miserable. I think it just depends on the health of the baby & pregnancy. By the 40th week I just need relief, by the 41st week I want someone to just shoot me and put me out of my misery. I had false labor last time & was contracting during the night and not getting any sleep. This time isn't so bad, but I will take relief when it's offered to me.

The part that's nice about an induction is that you can plan on when you need people to watch your other children for you. And you drive to the hospital NOT in labor. That's a nice bonus too. Plus you can get your house in order, laundry done, etc. Your husband knows when to schedule work to be off.

If I had smaller babies I assume I would be okay with going longer, but the gestation of an elephant for elephant-sized babes is not fun!

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Jul 13 2006 6:42:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  7:26:24 PM  Show Profile
I was induced with my first...wow...glad I don't have to go through that again! But I didn't die like I thought I was going to!
My second was two weeks overdue and I was sooo done being pregnant. With my doctor's okay, I took ONE tablespoon of castor oil mixed with orange juice (don't think I'll ever forget that taste). She was born a very, very easy six hours later! I could have delivered her myself.
I also self-induced with castor oil with my third. It definitely works.
Just don't forget that castor oil is to laxative like a breeze is to a tornado! DON'T take very much. You can always take a little more if a tbsp. doesn't work.

Di
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  8:43:32 PM  Show Profile
My first was a week early (8 lb 8 oz) easy as pie...second one was two weeks LATE (9lb 7 oz) NOT easy as pie. I would have killed for a way to go into labor just on time ..it was miserable. But..he was healthy and when he finally did come it wasn't a hard delivery or anything.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  8:57:25 PM  Show Profile
I personally pleaded for an induction about a month before my second was born. I had calculated my due date, the midwives calculated it a week after that, and then later on, they calculated it another week after that. I went to an office that had several mid-wives, and I never knew who I might get on a visit. There was one mid-wife in particular who agrred with me that this baby was gonna be big, but she couldn't make the call on her own. So, a week after their final calculated due date (3 weeks from mine, and I think I know when I got pregnant!), they finally induced me. Lord, I wanted to die! I had back labor with my first (8lbs. 9oz.), and I thought that delivery was rough! My second was induced, with stomach labor, and emergency c-section, and voila! a 9lb. 12oz. 22 1/2 baby. He was gorgeous, but looked to be about 2 months old. He had the "syptoms" of being an overdue baby. Now c-sections, that is another topic entirely! These ladies that say give me an epidural or give me a c-section, I just can't agree. My first was all natural, and simple compared to the second. My second, with epidural and c-section, and I had trouble for 2 weeks after due to complications.

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  10:38:31 PM  Show Profile
First of all
*disclaimer* I am not a doctor or a midwife!
Do not do this unless you are atleast 38+ weeks.
I found most of this info on the web, and I am passing it on.

Step one...have sex, and have an orgasm. This releases the hormone that helps dialate your cervix. The cream they use to help women ripen their cervix at the hospital, is call cervadil, and it is this same hormone.

Step two...take the herb astragalas, I took it with juice, like 50 drops, every two hours. You can also try black cohosh, I have not tried it personally, but I have heard it works.

Step three...the castor oil, man, talk about a colon blow! Like the other's have said, it will make you poop so drink alot of water, stay hydrated or you will be really uncomfortable, and possible be at risk.

Step four....have sex again

Step five....go for a walk, stopping if you are in alot of pain, but this should start contractions. Just walk around the block, or somewhere you can reach the potty if you need to!

Step six....find the pressure point just below your knee caps, on the inside of your legs, if you push fairly hard, you will know you have found it...have your partner rub it, pretty hard, this is not really fun, I got sick of dh rubbing my legs, but it really worked....with baby 4, after doing this stuff, I was dialated to 5cm when I got to the hosp, but not progressing super fast so I just got hooked up to the monitors for observation...we would watch the monitors go way up when he was rubbing that pressure point. It might take some searching, but you will find it...about two fingers below your knee caps, on the inside of the legs....massage and you will begin to feel contractions.

Step seven.... if it has been 6 or more hours and still nothing major contraction wise, try a massage with a good oil, like grapeseed, or even olive oil, you can add a secented oil.. this is a nice part, during my massage dh gave me I did some meditating, and saying to myself..."I give my body permission to give birth" and "my body holds the miracle to bring forth life" etc... I know it sounds corny to some people, but I think I was holding myself back...because of fear, etc. Kind of like when people hang on when they are passing away....I know that our bodies want to heal and care for themselves, we want to be healthy and do what comes naturally, but sometimes our minds hold us back...or mine did anyway.
This was a nice time that my dh spent pampering me, rubbing my sore back, talking to me, telling me how much he loved me and how happy he was to have another baby..it was nice, it also helps relax the abdomen and allows your uterus to do it's work.

Step eight....if you go more than 12-18 hours, repeat the dose of cator oil. I with two of my kids, 1 dose was enough, but with 1 I did two doses. Again, drink alot of water.

This is it, I think it will work, and good luck
I can't wait to read threads announcing new life!
This is easier on you than pitocin, as all of these things "help" labor, not induce it.

Good luck, farm Mamas
Love
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  04:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Well, my due date was July 5th. It is now the 15th and I'm ready. Hubby can only take so many days off work. He works out of town every week and I hate that he's burning his time off to stay home.

I posted in another thread that I was taking the black & blue cohosh in a sugar pill form, caulophyllum and cimicifugua. I took it for four days and it hasn't really worked for me. I had a non stress test on tuesday to make sure everything is all right and even though they said I was having a few contractions, nothing is really gearing up yet. My baby is fine and moves around constantly. For the most part I feel pretty good, but I haven't been sleeping well the last few nights. Hopefully he will come soon, as my doctor has given me a deadline of next Tuesday then he will want to start the inductin process with pitocin. Wish me luck.

Katiedid, I know sex probably would work, but I'm SOOO TIRED sometimes it seems like a chore right now. But I'll try. Castor oil sounds oocky but I guess I could try that too. Thanks for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  07:38:29 AM  Show Profile
Well if I was that miserable then I'd want mine induced too!! Both of my girls were 7 lbs and I had easy pregnancies, labors, and deliveries. Thanks for answering my question! This grandma is glad she's done with having babies -- I'll just love on my grandkids. All the benefits and none of the pain!

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  07:53:03 AM  Show Profile
Julie Kay~
FYI, the sugar pill form is a homeopathic and it has such a tiny bit of the herb it probably won't do much..as up well know. An herbal tincture would be the way to go. They are mixed with glycerin or grain alcohol, taste gross, but work!!
If you can't handle the sex, I understand...and the castor oil is yucky, but one good thing is that your are all "cleared out" for delivery!

At least try the massage! And the pressure point on your legs, and a walk if you are up for it.
I know how exhausted you are, last year at this time I was full term, I don't think I slept more than 1 or 2 ours straight...
It will end, and any help you can give your body at home will just make an induction easier and faster.
Hang in there!
Kate
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  10:31:39 AM  Show Profile
Today I was checked again & more progress:

I was a 3 cm dilation, a -2 station & 70% effaced! Yahoo!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  10:35:49 AM  Show Profile
When both of my "homemade" babies were born I was to the doctor the day before (both times!) and he said..nope...NOTHING is happening..no dialation at all..nothing! See you in a week! And then I had the baby the next day. So you gals who hear that..don't lose heart..maybe you are like I was and just do it all real quick like right at the end!
Exciting news Rebecca..won't be long now!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  5:38:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by therusticcottage

Well if I was that miserable then I'd want mine induced too!! Both of my girls were 7 lbs and I had easy pregnancies, labors, and deliveries. Thanks for answering my question! This grandma is glad she's done with having babies -- I'll just love on my grandkids. All the benefits and none of the pain!

Actually, your question was a good one. Most people these days cannot understand why you would NOT want to be induced and get it over with it. We have such an instant gratification society that doesn't think you should 'suffer' through anything much. And Lord forbid that you be big like I am. (I'm about 208lbs. They think that's horrific. Sheesh! It's my fourth child, so I'm big. And I have a tendancy to have big babies. (you wouldn't know it to see my shrimpy kiddos now!) I didn't expect to be petite otherwise I wouldn't have gotten prego in the first place. duh!

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Jul 14 2006 5:40:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  6:01:44 PM  Show Profile
I am starting to take the actual cohosh pills that are full herb today. I am gonna do everything I can to get the party started.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  6:11:08 PM  Show Profile
I had an induction with my first child, and man, talk about fast, hard labor...I also had trouble with my milk coming in...I know that we have labor for a reason, and when babies can arrive thru natural labor our bodies are ready to give birth, and make milk...let's nature take it's course is always best...
A little prodding is good.
The only way I would go thru and induction again is if there was some sort emergency or the baby was in trouble. Otherwise, natural is better.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  6:25:27 PM  Show Profile
Zoe was born at home unassisted but prior to her, Grace had been born in a hospital, very violently might I add, and induced for no reason other than the impatience of my doctor.

Labor was painless and faster (only 2 hours) and much more beutiful and pleasant at home with Zoe. The next will be born here as well....

We waited and waited. Zoe was 2 weeks overdue....lol

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  7:04:33 PM  Show Profile
I have to say that my induction, other than taking FOREVER, wasn't bad. But, my midwife was very very patient and upped the pitocin so very gradually that it wasn't any harder of a labor. If you have to be induced, just INSIST on it being a very gradual process. I had it over about a 12 hour period I think. It really wasn't any worse than my other two natural labors ( no drugs for any of the three). It did give me a harsh headache though, that sucked!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  9:13:51 PM  Show Profile
I remember the pitocin making my feet swell very badly. I couldn't even wear shoes.

I choose faith not fear.

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  07:07:55 AM  Show Profile
what are shoes?

Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  12:59:54 PM  Show Profile
The last month of my first pregnancy, I put shoes on only long enough to get to work, and then my co-workes had made me a nice "stool" out of a box and a pillow. The first thing I did was take off my shoes and socks. My feet swelled so bad, I couldn't even wear socks. My feet itched and burned so terribly.

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  1:51:11 PM  Show Profile
I know it sounds counter-productive, but drinking lots of water helps with fluid retention...when I was pregnant last summer, oh, I was so hot! I drank a gallon of water everyday....
Rule of thumb..divide your body weight in half, and drink that number of ounces of water...
example...if you weigh 150lbs, you should drink 75oz of water everyday..
I felt even better when I drank more.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  11:43:24 PM  Show Profile
I just thought of something that my Granny swore by. If you are going to do the castor oil, or any other natural induction, do it on a full moon, or a new moon.

http://www.puremommashop.com
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic natural ways to help induce labor at home Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page