Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Does your Etsy store really pay off?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Does your Etsy store really pay off? Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  4:51:18 PM  Show Profile
I have some really nice jewelry my mother makes, and stuff like quilt books, dmc floss and fat quarters I can sell. I'm thinking of opening an etsy shop and I was interested in it because I heard they charge you if an item sells, but looking at it I see they also charge a listing fee.
I've had an ebay store and it was a bust. The pool was just too big and I was out 50 bucks a month for nothing. I honestly can't even afford 10$ out of pocket if I don't make it back, and I wouldn't even want to do it to just break even with all the hours it takes to do up listings.

So, do you do well well enough on etsy to make it pay? and if it doesn't does anyone know of a site that actually doesn't charge you at all until an item sells?

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  5:12:31 PM  Show Profile
I believe when I was looking into it the listing fee was only 10 cents....

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  5:22:36 PM  Show Profile
It's 20 cents an item to list now and then a percent when it sells. I am still working up the courage to put things on it. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  09:09:23 AM  Show Profile
I have had an Etsy shop for over a year now. Sometimes it is slow. Whereas on eBay, your listing for shops is for 30 days, the Etsy store listing is for 3 months. It does cost 20 per item. If you have 4 of a particular item, then it will run 80 cents. You also have the fee when the item sells (not sure the percentage anymore), and the PayPal fees as well to consider.

www.mycountryapron.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/countrynmore2

Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  09:22:30 AM  Show Profile
I've had an Etsy shop for over a year as well. I'm committed to not going into debt to run it and grow it, and as of right now it comes and goes in bursts. I can go months with no sales and two months with 6 sales. It's totally unpredicatable. From my experience, when you first open you do get a lot of attention and even sales at first, but unless you are listing/relisting something everyday (20 cents a day) you generally do get lost in the shuffle. The only exception would be if you have a really strong following already from a real shop or a blog or something, or if you have a product that is very distinctive that attracts attention.

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&vid=66

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  6:04:02 PM  Show Profile
So true.

www.mycountryapron.com

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  09:31:49 AM  Show Profile
With etsy, you really have to get the word out to everyone you know. Advertising in some way seems to be the key. Letting the farmgirls know is a great start. That was most of my sales. Good luck.

"He treads the soil, with earth-love in his heart;" Ardon Antony
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  09:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Jan, that is so true. I was surprised that I had a lot of sales over a week ago, because it has been somewhat slow. What is link for Etsy?

www.mycountryapron.com

Edited by - countrynmore on Jun 19 2011 09:46:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  05:39:30 AM  Show Profile
My etsy shop has totally paid off. I don't make things, however; so I don't have the overhead of supplies. I sell strictly vintage items from my collecting habit. Since day one, I have been making a profit in my shop. But I don't just list my items and watch; I tweak my shop daily; I list new items often; I really work at it. An Etsy shop is what you make of it. From what I have heard from other sellers, though, jewelry is one of the more difficult to sell on etsy. It is a ver crowded category.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  10:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Hosanna, your shop is awesome!!! I wish that white dress fitted a 6!!!!! I'm so bummed!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  6:28:38 PM  Show Profile
I wish I fit a size 6!! LOL Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  04:31:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm watching this thread as my ETSY will open some time next year. Thank-you Hosanna,for sharing your ideas. Your shop is lovely and i have added you to my ETSY fav's.
quote:
Originally posted by Hosanna

My etsy shop has totally paid off. I don't make things, however; so I don't have the overhead of supplies. I sell strictly vintage items from my collecting habit. Since day one, I have been making a profit in my shop. But I don't just list my items and watch; I tweak my shop daily; I list new items often; I really work at it. An Etsy shop is what you make of it. From what I have heard from other sellers, though, jewelry is one of the more difficult to sell on etsy. It is a ver crowded category.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

http://www.birchtreefarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  05:20:48 AM  Show Profile
Hosanna,

Your shop is adorable. I marked it as a favorite. I have two shops that are more "hobby" than profit. I have been making a bit and that is a lot of fun.

I am destashing both my house of vintage items and my sewing room in my one store. Ive had more sales lately. I think Hosanna's pictures make all the difference plus she really seems to work at it.

When I purchase anything from etsy I will try and use farmgirls to help others out here.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  4:46:00 PM  Show Profile
I've had an etsy shop since early October 2010. I've sold a handful of items on there. I also started a blog recently to post my custom creations - gifts for friends & relatives as well as custom orders. I did one craft fair in April and I'm signed up to do another in September. Although they're exhausting, they do get your name out in the local area. I always bring my crochet with me to work on while waiting for appointments. I had business cards made up on VistaPrint.com for very cheap and give those out when people ask me about what I'm doing. I am not trying to make a living from my crafting, but trying to support my habit through selling some of what I make.
Another thing is to make treasuries on etsy so that you get your name out among other etsy vendors. It's a bit time consuming, but you do get some publicity from doing this. I've been trying to do a treasury per month in the past couple of months. Sometimes I can do more, other times it's less. My new goal for the summer is 1x per week, but I have to carve that time out of my week that's busy with children, gardening, household chores, & all of the other responsibilities of being a mother & wife!
You can either make etsy a hobby or a career, it depends on your level of passion & time to devote to the shop. GL!

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NancyOH1
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Nancy
Columbus Ohio
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  11:10:31 AM  Show Profile
Everyone's tips and suggestions on their Etsy store's have been a big help. I am trying to decide between an Ebay store front and looking into Etsy. So all this information and experience that other's have shared here have answered my questions and curiosity about Etsy. Thanks ladies for sharing your most valuable thoughts and inspirations.

Nancy J. Boyd
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  8:23:50 PM  Show Profile
I will have to say yes! Etsy has been wonderful and like someone else said here. You will get out of it what you put into it. But the way I look at it is it only cost .20 to list an item so if you list something everyday for a month that is only $6.00.

And I have found that if I have several of an item instead of listing (6 available) and paying $1.20 I will list one and then when it sells or on a day when nothing sells list another one. Everytime you list you bring your shop to the top of your category.

I love etsy!

www.stuffbykim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  8:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Me too. I listed things that I have on my website. If someone only wants one apron, they can buy it on Etsy, and pay for 1st class shipping. The same goes with the neck coolers.

www.mycountryapron.com
www.countrynmore.com

Edited by - countrynmore on Jul 04 2011 8:49:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  06:01:04 AM  Show Profile
This is most def a great thread---so much practical advice. I am taking notes as one day I would really love to have a place to sell and make a little "egg money"---isn't that what they used to call the extra money the housewife made from selling eggs?
All of the sites I have visited via MJF have been quite lovely---now if I can sell a few things I would have the money to actually purchase some of YOUR lovely wares :0)!

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
http://restingunderthepinetree.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  3:29:01 PM  Show Profile
I have been off the forum for a few days and just popped back into this thread and wanted to say thanks to all the farmgirls who looked in on my Etsy shop! :) Ya'll are so sweet.

Go to Top of Page

Marigold
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Marigold
Chicago IL
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  6:54:17 PM  Show Profile
I'd say etsy is a good place to sell though if you are promoting or finding buyers in other places. It's a good way to sell with out owning a store front. I'd say try it out. Like jolly said you can set yourself a budget and see how a month goes. It's good to learn what's out there.
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  04:46:51 AM  Show Profile
I have been off for a while too. Just too busy at home to have time to read or post much. I try and add all the farmgirl shops to my favorites so I can use them to purchase items from when I have some extra funds.

I love the "egg money" comment. How appropriate. Great name for a store too!

Alexis

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  05:26:53 AM  Show Profile
I have been selling on ebay for 2 years now as a way to get rid of tons of inherited stuff from our families. It has been sort of am ongoing garage sale where I did get a fair price. In addition, I have listed personal items that I had purchased already (like clothes, knick knacks, accent dishes ect.) I would say that in most cases I did not recoup the original price or make a profit but I did receive a lot more than I would have doing a yard sale. Selling online depends on what you are trying to sell. I have tried selling homemade craft things on ebay without much luck at all. It has been easier to sell things like an odd china teacup/saucer where someone wanted to complete a set or something like that. AS others have stated, ebay has fees as well as paypal, but since I had inherited boxes of stuff, it still provided me with extra cash to do other things and get rid of stuff I was never going to use or need. I have never done etsy before so perhaps it is more craft oriented and a better place for some types of items? I do want to emphasize that to be successful in whatever you decide, you have to be diligent about working on your site like a mini business-- answer email questions about items, send shipping invoices, ship promptly, leave feedback etc. If you don't really have the time for a mini business, perhaps doing a local craft fair booth this fall would be a better venue to try because it would be a one weekend commitment.
One more thing, before you do either eysy or ebay, check your state regulations about taxing items purchased by people living in your state. In Florida, I have to have a permit from the state and pay taxes to the state on all items sold to Florida residents. IT is not a big deal, but again, it is more more business detail to pay attention to and complete ontime.
Good luck with your adventure. Maybe start with just 10 items and see how you like doing it before you commit further.

Winnie #3109

Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MelodyRose
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Melody
Hallsville Missouri
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  9:37:53 PM  Show Profile
Hosanna is exactly right--Etsy is what you make it. If you devote the time and work, and have a decent product, the sales will come. People get a bad taste in their mouthes when they've been lead to believe that Etsy is a success-guaranteed turn-key operation, but it's not. When I have the time to create a good inventory and make good listings, things sell. And when I'm consistent with it, I have consistent sales. And then, as the story has always gone, I have a baby and have to take a break, and it all slows down until I get back to it! lol

Etsy is very inexpensive compared to other venues of selling handmade or vintage goods. Etsy also is over-the-moon happy to help you with every resource you could need in the form of articles, tutorials, emails, chats, etc, with instructions on how to make sales. But if you're not committed to doing the leg work of developing your brand and advertising yourself, it just won't work.

I'd recommend it, as long as you're not expecting to get something big without putting in the effort. It is easy, but it is also a new venture that you'll have a lot to learn about. And for handmade, Etsy over Ebay ANY day!

www.aquietlittlelife.blogspot.com

www.MRSdesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

IdahoShamrock
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Kathy
Hayden Idaho
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  09:23:14 AM  Show Profile
Cool shop, Hosanna! And I love your seed ball bombs, Kim. I like Etsy. I opened my shop about 3 yrs ago, but have only actually 'worked' it for about 15 months. (I have another home based business that is my main source of income generation.) The goal of my Etsy shop is to sell enough every month to pay my internet access bill. I live in a sketchy area, for cell phone service and internet and have had to change things up a bit. My Etsy shop has paid for all of that and continues to pay for my current satellite internet service. I think your satisfaction with Etsy is related to what you want to accomplish and that can only be done if you have a firm goal/result you want to achieve. Making extra $$, while a worthy goal and one I totally appreciate, is not a clear goal and you will be setting yourself up for discouragement. Just have clarity about what you want to accomplish. And if Etsy doesn't work for you, it is not a failure, it just means that maybe you are better suited to craft fairs or some other method of selling.

Like Hosanna said, effort in = results out. I belong to 2 Etsy teams and do participate in team activities. I try to list something every day of the week except Sunday. I have learned a LOT about photography and tagging and crafting item descriptions. It is healthy to learn new things, esp since technology is not my first language! Since this does meet the goal I set, I am very satisfied with Etsy as a selling venue. I also enjoy doing a little shopping on Etsy, as well.

Farmgirl #2125

www.dustbincards.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

IdahoShamrock
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Kathy
Hayden Idaho
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  09:28:05 AM  Show Profile
And that is the coolest green ribbon and pearl necklace, Melody!

Farmgirl #2125

www.dustbincards.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MelodyRose
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Melody
Hallsville Missouri
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  8:06:00 PM  Show Profile
thx, kathy! they were a really good seller... before the baby came and my poor shop was abandoned! lol

www.aquietlittlelife.blogspot.com

www.MRSdesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Does your Etsy store really pay off? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page