Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Organization Tip - Share With other Farmgals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Organization Tip - Share With other Farmgals Next Topic  

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  08:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Since I'm such an awlful housekeeper I thought everyone might share an organization tip with everyone else. I've never posted that I'm a Delta Zeta (Collegiate NPC Sorority). Now that the kids have gotten older I'm active in DZ's Virtual Alumnae Group. We have a question of the week posted and this was one of them. Share your favorite organization tip. So I will post the one that has really helped in our household.

Paying the Bills:

Yikes, we all hate doing that one chore. My husband and I hate this chore. So to make sure we get every bill paid on time we do the following.

Supply needed: Box or letter holder. Mark the box/letter holder with Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4 and Now. Then as the bills come in, open each bill. Note the due date and place in the slot for the week before the bill is due. If for some reason a bill is not paid it is moved to the "Now" slot. We have never been late since I started using this method. I love it. This has really helped in managing the household and business bills.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  08:40:52 AM  Show Profile
Great idea!
Here's my tip about MAIL:
We open our mail in the garage, near the trash can. Envelopes and junk mail gets tossed immediately, so that only the real mail comes into the house to be dealt with. It is amazing how little is left after sorting through it. If we stop our mail for vacations, we pick it up at the post office after we return and we sort the mail right there, throwing out the junk and the envelopes.I really believe in the "Handle Once" concept.
Careful, this can become addictive.
HOUSEHOLD TRASH: I have explanded this tip to grocery /Walmart shopping, unwrapping as many items as much as possible, and getting a lot of trash right back out the door the same day it comes in. This works great for bars of soap, individual packets of anything, fruit cups, etc. and bulky wrappings on frozen stuff. If it doesn't need the isntructions or the box to hold it, I keep only the interior packaging, or I rebag in freezer bags and throw the bulky trash away.

Looking forward to reading other tips!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  08:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Here's another tip from me - I have found a great organizational/housekeeping website: flylady.net . This has great ways to break down routine tasks into 15 minute increments or using daily little steps to accomplish everything in one week or month, etc.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  09:32:04 AM  Show Profile
Here is one of my favorite tips.
I use the over-the-door shoebags everywhere!!

I have one on the back of our very small bathroom door, it holds brushes,deodrant, medicine, etc..
In the garage- I have a gardening one, it holds small shovels, clippers, seeds etc.
In the Craft room I have 2 one for all kinds of supplies and one for scrapbook things
In the pantry I put in spices, packets of seasoning, cords for small appliances, etc...

You also can hang them on the wall with 2 hooks, if you don't have a door to put them on. I have also thought about trying to attach one to a sturdy hanger to having hanging storage in the craft room closet, but I haven't tried that yet.
I am sure you can think of even more spots that they can be used!!

PS. The Dollar Tree(aka Everthing's a dollar) has these!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  09:49:38 AM  Show Profile
Bridgette,

I really like that idea. Especially for the craft room and garage. I'll go check out the dollar tree this weekend. Thanks.

As for my tips - I don't seem to be very organized, but:

We have a filing cabinet and whenever we make a purchase or receive a gift (clothes dryer, kitchenaid, whatever...) we create a folder where we can keep a copy of waranty, directions, receipts, etc. My husband always did this before we were together and I've found it to be really great. If something goes wrong, or I have questions, I know right where to find what I need.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  10:48:12 AM  Show Profile
We keep one money folder. This is a one-stop shop for all of our financials. On one side, there are four business size envelopes to store each of our credit card/debit card/cash receipts (we enter everything into Quicken on the computer and store them until the statement comes). Once the statement arrives, we reconcile each account (to the penny, each and every time!) and then shred the receipts. If there is a receipt that we may want to save for awhile (big purchases, etc.), we put that into an envelope on the other side of the folder marked "receipts to save." I have to remember to go through that one every six months or so... Receipts to be entered into Quicken sit in a special spot on my husband's desk. Every couple of days, I grab the receipts and the folder and sit down and update everything. The cash account on Quicken has to be manually reconciled since we don't get a cash statement from anyone! But we're usually able to balance within $3 or so. We try to keep track of *every* penny we spend!

Also on the other side of the folder is a list of our bills split up by the 15th or the 30th (paydays). Like Kim and Jo, we also do the "handle once" routine with our bills and open them as soon as they arrive, chuck the junk, and stick the bill and envelope on this side of the folder (complete with stamp and return address label, all set to go!). So when payday rolls around, I just pull out the folder, check the list to see what needs to be paid, write out the checks and close it all up again. We store the "stubs" of our bills in a filing cabinet in the basement for one year like Debbie does.

One more financial tip that we've recently employed: cash envelopes. Our budget is so tight that we decided to start dishing out a certain amount of cash into envelopes that we keep in the kitchen for each two week period between paychecks (groceries, dining/entertainment, fuel, alcohol (we have to have fun!)...) When the envelope is empty, that's it! It takes longer to shop at the Co-op now, since I have to add things up in my head as I go, but we're keeping better track of our finances. It's just so dang easy to go over budget for the month with credit/debit cards!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  3:24:26 PM  Show Profile
I might sound a little dumb here, but I just have to ask. I have heard co-ops mentioned here and several other sites. I don't really know what they are, and where I could find them to join or how to join.
As for how I handle bills, I have on drawer in my desk where nothing but bills go. Junk mail goes in the trash as soon as it comes through the door.

www.kaintuck.blogspot.com
http://melissac.stayinhomeandlovinit.com
http://www.freewebs.com/lawsec03
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  3:38:28 PM  Show Profile
We buy all of our groceries at the Seward Co-op Grocery and Deli in Minneapolis. (http://www.seward.coop) Most Co-ops (cooperatives!) started up in the 70s, when people were hip (and hippy!) on that stuff. We bought a membership - or shares - in our Co-op years ago. It's a one-time fee usually and it means that we technically own a bit of the store. We get member specials and if the store does well, we may even get a member dividend at the end of the year (% based on our purchases over the year). Co-ops are open to the public as regular stores and most even take WIC and food stamps. You don't have to be a member to shop! We just prefer it over the big box stores. Prices are sometimes better at the bigger stores, but we buy mainly organics in just about everything and we can't find that at the big stores. Our Co-op is linked with six or seven others in our metro area too, which is pretty cool. Newsletters, member events, that sort of thing. We love it!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  3:46:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Catherine.

www.kaintuck.blogspot.com
http://melissac.stayinhomeandlovinit.com
http://www.freewebs.com/lawsec03
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  4:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
I have another great idea for the outside. When we built the dog kennel my husband needed something to hang the hose on. What did he find in the shop but a bridle rack. I have more tack then I need, LOL. It's a portable bridle/tack rack we use for horse shows or cattle shows. It makes the greatest hose rack. Nice large loops in the hose that allows for the hose not to kink on us while cleaning out the kennels. It also allows for space and keeps the dogs from chewing on it. It hangs on the fence of the kennels. This would be great to store during the winter if you live up north as it folds flat. The picture is of a black one. We have an alumnium one.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!

Edited by - santa_gertrudis_gal on Jul 13 2006 4:54:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  08:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your tips...I need all the help I can get just now, as my goal is to "get organized"
I bought some door shoe racks, and love them! I have one on the door of my pantry, it holds so much.

I need need need to do your financial stuff...we used to be so broke that every dime mattered. Now Eldon has a much better job, and we waste alot of money.

I wish I had a tip to share....
Keep 'em coming!
Love
Kate
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  2:09:22 PM  Show Profile
I divide weekly chores up for myself so on my day off I am truely off!
After work each day I do clean one area. example: change bed(s) and wash sheets on Mon.
Tues: clean bathrooms, Wed: clean kitchen( scrub floor, clean stove, etc.) Thurs: run Vaccuum
You get the idea I try to stick the wash in there some where if not I run loads on off days or DH does it. If I do this then my day off gives me more time to Play. I try to keep things generally picked up every day so only the big stuff is on the designated days.

I like the shoe bag idea. i'm gonna try it. And I also sort mail at the trash can. Sounds like we are pretty organized people

Teddie
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  2:29:29 PM  Show Profile
I have used the shoe bag thing for years . I have one on everydoor in the house except the frontdoor. They are great for those of us who have small bathrooms or little storage in their house.

Most coops are a place for the small farmer like myself to sell wholesale but get a good/fair price. Some of the stuff in these coops are as fresh as farmers markets. This week we sold 80 pints of our just picked blackberries to our local coop.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  5:34:31 PM  Show Profile
Boy, I wish we had a co-op! It sounds great.
My tip for bill paying is to have a dated planner (could be homemade and simple) and a wall hung basket nearby. I open the bill, look at the date, subtract 10 days, write it on that date in the planner, as well as on the envelope, at the top where it can be seen, and file it in the basket according to the date to mail. Since doing this I've found it much easier and don't have crazy moments wondering if I forgot a bill.
My MIL was a relaxed and extremely well organized homemaker. I've adapted some of her methods: One day is general errand day (usually Monday since I tend to have a list by then.... and I add to the list, a full sheet of paper, according to the stores I go to or will be going to that week. One day is bed sheet changing day, and one day general cleaning day, with picking up (hopefully ;0) regularly. I try to get at least one load of clothes washed about every day, starting them first thing in the morning. There usually is a block of time for yard work--like mowing, that has to wait for the grass to dry, and at least one for projects. The summer time means going outside to work early, before the heat of the day, and some summers don't leave much room for projects. Mainly, I write it down in the planner... and then can "remember" when I start to think about the day ahead. I write down reminders about sending birthday cards there, too... and dinner ideas.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2006 :  07:08:06 AM  Show Profile
My favorite tip of all time is that as soon as my first child was born, I assigned a different color of ink to each person (dh was green, I was red, ds was blue, "everyone" was black) to write things on the calendar. For example, ds's doctors appointment would be, in blue ink, only "Dr. S. 9 a.m.".

A couple of advantages were there was less to write in the limited amount given (didn't have to write the family person's name). Also, by the time the kids were 3 or so, they'd look at the calendar, see "their" color, and know they had something that day. I could tell they loved being able to "read". I could quicly glance at the calendar and see if I had any commitments.

My son is almost 20, and we still use this. I've also noticed that my kids use color-coding in their own planners, in school notes, etc, and at least a couple of times they've said it's helped them in other areas.

By the way, I stole this from a magazine -- I'm certainly not that creative! But I am an organization nut, so I'm big on this type of thing.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2006 :  7:52:29 PM  Show Profile
Over the door wreath hangers work really well to hang these shoe bags on the backs of doors. I use mine on the back of my pantry door to hold items not used a lot just as the lemon reamer, potato mashers, donut cutters, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Bridge

Here is one of my favorite tips.
I use the over-the-door shoebags everywhere!!

I have one on the back of our very small bathroom door, it holds brushes,deodrant, medicine, etc..
In the garage- I have a gardening one, it holds small shovels, clippers, seeds etc.
In the Craft room I have 2 one for all kinds of supplies and one for scrapbook things
In the pantry I put in spices, packets of seasoning, cords for small appliances, etc...

You also can hang them on the wall with 2 hooks, if you don't have a door to put them on. I have also thought about trying to attach one to a sturdy hanger to having hanging storage in the craft room closet, but I haven't tried that yet.
I am sure you can think of even more spots that they can be used!!

PS. The Dollar Tree(aka Everthing's a dollar) has these!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  6:10:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm a nerd - I love paying the bills! Of course, I'd love it more, if more money were left over, but still - it's one of my "jobs" and I really do enjoy it. I've enjoyed it all the more since I discovered a financial guy named Dave Ramsey - he has a website and a national radio show each day. I highly recommend him - we've gotten very organized financially since I've applied his principles to our family finances. www.daveramsey.com
One thing is the "envelope system", which when I heard him speak of it, I realized it was how my parents ran things when I grew up. Keep envelopes with categories, like "groceries", "entertainment", "insurance", "vacation", "Christmas", "household", etc. - whatever - and only spend what you determine should be spent per paycheck in that category. This really focuses your spending by paycheck or month and also saves for events - gifts, Christmas, insurance, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  08:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I am a hopeless housekeeper! And I am also a computer geek. In wandering around the internet I have found an interesting program. It's called Lets Clean Up. I found it at http://www.download.com/Let-s-Clean-Up-2005/3000-2124_4-10407551.html?tag=lst-0-7 It's free to try for 30 days and then it's only 9.95. I'm in the process of setting up the tasks and it looks like it is a little time comsuming but when you are done it gives you a daily to do list. You can also assign tasks to other members of your family and print different to do lists out for each of them. It's a very intuitive program. I haven't looked at the help menu yet.

My problem with housekeeping is that I let things go until it's a major project to do anything or someone calls to say they are coming to visit and I have to slave in a panic to get things up to snuff. So I'm hoping this program will help me stay on top of things.

The main web site is http://www.download.com/2001-20_4-0.html?tag=hd_ts It's lots of fun looking to see what's there. Which is probably why I never get my housework done.

Hope this is of interest to some of you.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  08:14:07 AM  Show Profile
Here are two more great organizational site: www.flylady.net. It's free, and gives you a routine to do a little each day, for Day 1-31 each month, so you don't ever get bogged down. They say they are the cure for C.H.A.O.S.(Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome!)

There is a sister site of theirs that I just found as well...http://www.shesintouch.com/
S.H.E. stands for Sidetracked Home Executive.

I just love reading these posts and learning and sharing with all of you!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  08:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
The SLOB sisters have been around forever. I believe their original book was published in 1977. I don't believe there is any connection between Fly Lady and SHE. I loved the Sidetracked Home Executive book but I need something that is more automated then that. How many days would it take me to get the 3x5 cards done! Actually I know because I tried it once and I became so obsessed over keeping my 3x5 cards neat and color coordinated I never got any housework done. I know that's my personality and not theirs but I think a computer generated list is going to work better for me then they did. I also find things like the Fly Lady don't work for me because they are set up for families and I'm just me. And it's just a little too cute and peppy for me!

I'm really glad you gave us the link to get to their web site. I know my original book is long gone and I just might replace it with the new one. They are down to earth and I love reading their books.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  06:07:00 AM  Show Profile
The one thing I picked up from Fly Lady that has stuck with me -- cleaning 'hotspots' every day -- those areas that seem to accumulate papers, items, etc. Oh, and the concept that 'I can do anything for five minutes'. Sometimes in the evening, when I feel slug-like and unable to get going, I set the timer for five minutes and do a small task. I find that once I get one thing done, I'll happily get to the next task, etc., and then my house is not so overwhelming the next morning.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  12:03:15 PM  Show Profile
I also love the concept they promote where "I can do anything for 5 minutes" and am amazed at how MUCH I can do in htose fast 5 minutes, too! I even started giving myself a timeline for weekend chores, so I can see if it (my ToDo list) is even realistic. If I add up the times and they are more than 8 hours, I start prioritizing. I can get leave some little things to be done during the weeknights, and that helps too. It's so tough to keep a regular schedule, since my schedule from week to week is irregular. I have been attacking it from the "Where am I today? OK, I'm at this house/office/place today so I will the things that need to be done here." Then on to the next...I often feel like I am a constantly moving target.

Anyone else out there juggling multiple jobs and/or homes? How do you make it work? Without a "staff" of course! DH and I are a great team and are just trying to keep juggling it all as best as we can.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  1:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Something we do daily is the 30 minute chores. The night before we think of chores that can be done in 30 minutes the following day. Write down a list then carry it out. Its easy quick & keeps the house clean!

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."-Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  3:11:39 PM  Show Profile
I pay my bills online through Quicken Bill Pay. As they come in I schedule them and mark them paid. Then they just automatically get sent and the payment posted in Quicken. I file the paid bills in file folders in my filing cabinet.

I made up a housecleaning schedule for myself so I can see that I've done something every day. Monday is bathroom cleaning.
Tuesday is vacuum and dust.
Wednesday is clean the kitchen.
I have one room set up to be deep cleaned each month -- 6 rooms total. Every room in the house will get this twice a year. That includes cleaning drawers, closets, windows, etc. I work on this for 30 minutes each day and then for an hour on Thursday. By the end of the month it's all done and hasn't seemed like such a huge chore.
Friday is my day off -- garage sales, shopping, or whatever I want to do.

This has worked great for me because when my cleaning is done every day (which usually takes an hour or so)then I can garden, sew, or do what I want.

Lotion bars, linen spray, and purses in my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Organization Tip - Share With other Farmgals Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page