Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Help on Cleaning White Vinyl Flooring?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help on Cleaning White Vinyl Flooring? Next Topic  

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  5:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have a huge kitchen (not complaing bout that) that also includes my breakfast nook. Wasn't thinking as a new mom when I put in a white vinyl floor. It is now so lacking a shine and is pitted in spots from the lab and the kids. Any ideas on how to get it back to that "new" look. Now matter how much I wash it it always looks dirty. I made the mistake of using Future Floor Finish about a year ago and think that might be part of the problem. Any suggestions are always appreciated!

Jenn

"Breathe in the Sunshine"

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  7:19:52 PM  Show Profile
Future is floor wax and when it gets scratched it will look yucky. The only solution is to remove the wax or continue to use it (I wouldn't recommend). Not sure what is a safe way to remove wax from vinyl floor...I would check with the manufacturer. Also...walking on blacktop (at the grocery or if your driveway is blacktop) will eventually yellow white vinyl, so taking off your shoes is a really good idea.
Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  7:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Barbara
If anyone knows of a natural way to remove floor wax from vinyl flooring let me know.

Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  04:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I checked the Future bottle and it says to remove with ammonia. I hate ammonia. If anyone has an alternative that would be great.

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  05:38:45 AM  Show Profile
I've been using Armstrong brand floor cleaner and "Shinekeeper" wax on my vinyl floors for 21 years and love it. Go to Home Depot/Lowes (vs. product sold at grocery store) and look for the gallon or half-gallon-sized jugs. The Floor cleaner has a cutesy name, I think, but it should be right next to the floor wax/polish which I know is called Shinekeeper. The floor cleaner works really well to remove dirt and old wax...and DH always notices when I have applied the wax! Good luck.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  08:03:55 AM  Show Profile
Jenn~
When we bought our home it had white vinyl floors too....believe me, with four kids and a husband who is messier than a kid I hear ya!!
The floor was newer when we moved in, and I couldn't see the sense in replacing a new floor, but the dog, DH's workboots etc...scratched it up...
Here's what I did to deep-clean all the little dips and scratches that looked so bad...I used a coarse bristle brush, but not too abrasive, and scrubbed the floor with a baking soda and water paste. Then I would rinse with vinegar and water...the floor would shine.
Give it a try. It is completely safe around kids and pets.
Good luck,
Kate
ps...we now have wood floors...they hide it all!
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  10:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks will try the baking soda and vinegar idea. Am hoping for wood floors too someday but hope this will keep me content til then. I'm gonna need a ton of baking soda, it is a huge space.

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help on Cleaning White Vinyl Flooring? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page