Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  10:07:17 PM  Show Profile
My neighbor has the "arp" variety of rosemary - we live in a zone 5 area - and it seems to be doing well, here, too. I was thinking of planting one next year, and I'm SO glad that you asked this question, Jo! Now I know that for sure I need to add sand to the soil - the soil in my yard is so full of clay I could probably make pottery...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  06:30:41 AM  Show Profile
I should have mentioned that I'm in zone 7. I have many different varieties of rosemary. The "arp" certainly sounds like a good choice for herb gardens in cooler regions. I might even see if I can find it here locally. One can never have too many rosemary bushes!
Ann, thanks for the welcome. Good to see you too!

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  09:02:09 AM  Show Profile
oh! no wonder i was having trouble lol! well next door neighbors grew it one yr, and it was awsome and come to think of it it was hot there and seemed sandier soil then here? weird eh? i brought it in anyways, and it seems so far so good, but i don't know as of yet what will happen to it. i haven't watered it at all since i brought it in, but the soil is from the garden where i dug it out of, so, hopefully it will be ok for my winter herbs, i love it, i like the tea it makes, thankyou soooo much for all this info, by for now! love from jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  6:51:16 PM  Show Profile
hello jo, we had a hard, hard frost last night. I dug up my Rosemary this am, the frost took half of it, but I think it will fare well. We'll put lights on, not sure what your latitude is, We are 61 degrees north.
Here's something odd for you, I was part of a Jo and Al, I lived in the Kawarthas for two years with a wonderful canadian named Al, we were engaged to be married when he was diagnosed with a brain tumor and passed away very quickly. I married two and a half years ago to my alaskan Paul, I had been flying to Alaska for years with a medevac to and fro from Seattle.

Good luck to you Jo in Nova Scotia from Jo in Alaska

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:38:41 AM  Show Profile
My favorite cullinary herb is rosemary. Just yesterday I went out and bought a huge pork roast. Came home and cut some herb, basted the roast w/ this, mixed it in w/ orange marmalade and mmm mmmmm good.

Did you know you can eat the little purple flowers too? They make a plesant breath freshner. Only a few segments of our plant produces these.

Our "shrub" is in full sun next to the house. It started out small and is now 2 feet tall and covers a few feet of ground. Every few years I have to prune it back. It shares space w/ other herbs. right now its a race to see what will fill this garden space up first, the rosemary or the zinnias.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic ROSEMARY Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page