Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Any good uses for blackberry seeds and pulp?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Any good uses for blackberry seeds and pulp? Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  11:24:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,

I have been straining the blackberries I picked this summer and making jam, but hate to throw away the leftover "mush" consisting of seeds and pulp that did not pass through the strainer. Are there any ideas for using this, either in a vinegar, tincture or natural fruit juice, all ideas are welcome!

Frugally yours,

Jo

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  11:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Do you have chickens? They love the stuff!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  1:15:23 PM  Show Profile
I just read that you can use the leftover pulp for making fruit butter. I think it's in a The Joy of Cooking canning book.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  1:44:01 PM  Show Profile
Chickens were the first thing I thought of too...my hens love a treat like that now and then! They have been relishing all the peach peels this week!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  11:09:47 PM  Show Profile
they are good for the compost
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  04:54:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone...I do not have chickens, but do have a compost. Fruit butter sounds good, too.

Does anyone out there want me to ship them a pint of the stuff now, and/or later?

Whew, talk about one person's trash being another chicken's) treasure...LOL

Jo
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  5:54:07 PM  Show Profile
I made blackberry jelly and jam, too. I just composted the leftover seeds and pulp. I know a friend whose grandma made jam from the pulp after making jelly from the juice. However, she said she hated the stuff because it was so seedy (She told me the story when I gave her jam one Christmas, but I assured her I used the whole thing so it would not be so seedy!)

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  06:20:29 AM  Show Profile
Ok, farmgirls, here is what I did. I found recipes for cordial and am making some with vodka and sugar, steeping in a dark cabinet and shaking gently once per day. (If it works) This is going to be part of a birthday present to my SIL, named Anne for you know who. I am my SIL's Diana Barry, so I think it will be fitting that the Diana of our duo will offer some cordial to Anne this time, hopefully we won't have the same hangover and punishment as described in the Anne of GG book! What do you think?

Jo

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Sep 26 2006 06:35:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  06:15:38 AM  Show Profile
I use leftover pulp to make flavored syrups. We were poor growing up and our pancake syrup was made with 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, and a pinch of salt. It was boiled until it was a little thick. Now I make that and add whatever pulp I have and cook it until it thickens. It makes good syrup for pancakes and waffles.

My son likes it so much that now I buy fresh or frozen fruit to make the syrup.

Betty

True Happiness: Something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  08:36:33 AM  Show Profile
Betty,

I love that idea! I was toying with trying to make my own syrup, so I will try your recipe.

How much pulp do you add to the above measurements? Do you strain the seeds?

Thanks much! (Move over, Smuckers!)

Jo

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Sep 27 2006 08:37:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  07:29:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jo,

My son likes pancakes, so I usually double the recipe to 2 cups water, 2 cups sugar, pinch of salt. I put abut 3 cups of fruit because we like the fruit. If I am using pulp with a lot of seeds, I do strain some. If using blueberries which don't cook down as much, I would only put in 2 cups. And, remember the salt. I made it once without a pinch of salt and the flavor wasn't there.

It does keep refrigerated. Hope this helps.

Betty

True Happiness: Something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  11:39:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Betty!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  1:47:16 PM  Show Profile
Jo, that is great. I hope your Anne with an E gets a huge kick out of her cordial.

I think the seeds and pulp would probably be great for compost. I use cottonseed meal in my fertiliser for the nitrogen. Steve Soloman's book, Gardening for Hard Times, (I think is the name) is really big on all seed meals. Our tomatoes LOVED the fertilizer made from his recipe.

Ann, sadly without an E

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  8:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
Jo, I am thinking of planting blackberries. Are they hard to grow and do they produce much fruit? I've had a small patch of raspberries before. The berries were delicious but we never got much from the canes considering all the fiddling around we did with them. Also, I think the syrup idea is great.. the cordial suggestion very tempting!

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  12:16:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Candace ... the blackberry bushes were already on the farm we purchased two years ago, and I just discovered them this summer for the first time. Mine grow on their own, in the fields and the smaller bushes in the open are bushhogged every fall but grow back. The ones along the edge of the fields are left alone and have grown 5-6 feet in height.
There seem to be two kinds of bushes, and berry sizes, or maybe the ones that are bushhogged every year just don't get a chance to make bigger berries.

The biggest problem are the thorns! Ouch! Do your raspberry bushes have thorns that catch on your fingers and hands when you pick the fruit? Note; on the bigger bushes/berries, it is easier to grab the fruit without getting your hands scratched up.

When I picked berries, I picked for three hours on a Saturday and two hours on a Sunday. I was slow at first, plus I was picking every little berry, off of every little bush. The second day I discovered the taller bushes with bigger berries, so I was picking faster and getting a bigger yield. All told, I had 42 cups of berries when I was done.

Hope that helps, and hopefully another farmgirl can give you some better information.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  7:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
The raspberry canes that we had were prickly but didn't have thorns exactly. Sounds like you've had a good result with not a lot of fussing which is what I was wondering about. I'm going to give it a try I think. The info about not being cut down is helpful. I will pick a spot where they can just be left on their own maybe. This was very helpful, thanks Jo.

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Any good uses for blackberry seeds and pulp? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page