Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  08:18:38 AM  Show Profile

I bought this plant a couple of weeks ago at the farmers market. It's really neat looking, and I've not seen anything like it before. It appeared to be plastic when I first saw it, but it's not (duh). The woman said it is called Jacob's Ladder, but that must be a local (SC) name for it as it doesn't match the pictures and descriptions I find for Jacob's Ladder. She also said the leaves will turn pink in the winter.

Any ideas?

Thanks-
Kim in NC

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  08:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It looks like it is Jacob's Ladder- just one of the many varieties that fall under that name. I am not sure which variety it is though. If you see the same lady at the farmer's market again you should ask her which variety it is. They have many varieties to "Snow and Sapphire" to "Purple Rain".
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  08:32:51 AM  Show Profile
Looks like a Dracaena sp. to me but hard to tell all the way up here in NJ! Is it meant to be an indoor potted plant? Good luck!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  10:54:26 AM  Show Profile
it has several names, known as devils backbone, Jacob's ladder, redbird plant, zigzag plant, redbird flower, ribbon cactus.
It does get red flowers on it that will attract hummingbirds.
They are commonly grown down South..in fact one of my neighbors has one that is about 9 ft tall!
My sister has a bunch of it growing around her oak trees. And I have a small bit of it growing in my courtyard garden area.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  11:13:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad the others could help you identify it. I had no idea, but boy does it look cool-what a nice find!

Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2006 :  1:17:48 PM  Show Profile
Tina - I knew you would know!

I looked it up and could not find what it was. Almost looks lie a type of wandering jew. Good for you Tina!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:48:43 AM  Show Profile
HEY! We have one of these on the kitchen window sill! I thought it was a Devil's Walking Stick, but Devils Backbone may be more correct. Pretty cool!

My hubby is a horticulturalist (whew, that's a hard one to type!) so he is always bringing wayward plants home.

you'd think our house would be filled from floor to ceiling with plants, but sadly, we have a cat that likes to eat potting soil, so plants must either go outside, or be small enough to fit on sunny shelves in the house.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What the heck is this? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page