True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  05:25:25 AM  Show Profile
I seen this article and was shocked.

First...I don't know where this author shops, but the prices shown here are 1/3-1/2 of what I already pay.

Second...I think they are bein way to conservative with the percentages they say things will rise.

I was runnin some numbers, and even usin the estimates they gave, the numbers look scary! I applied their estimates to my actual prices.

What do you Ladies think?

Here's the link...

http://money.msn.com/how-to-budget/what-will-food-cost-in-4-years-minyanville.aspx?cp-documentid=6792953>1=33029

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:29:21 AM  Show Profile
All I know is that here in Oklahoma, the wheat crop is 10% of what it was supposed to be because of drought. Corn is also going to be lower. But wheat is the biggie and it is going to impact all kinds of other prices.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Angela! Your groceries are really expensive!! That article is about the same that we pay here though some things are more expensive due to local laws and such. I shop at Costco because they have much better prices on a lot of things and I am trying to buy as much from local producers as possible.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  10:31:04 AM  Show Profile
What is up to like 8 bucks or more a bushel.. and corn last year this time was 3.80 a bushel... today it's over 8.50.
and all those storms made the crops go in late... I have no idea what we are all going to do.
then the ethanol use of our corn... ridiculous. our animals need to eat.

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  1:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I have to agree with Angela a little bit. I know our food prices are at least what they are saying, and higher for sure. Looking at some of the future projections, I know for a fact some of the foods we buy are already there. I suppose it somewhat depends upon what part of the country you live in, though. When we moved here from RI, there was a noticable difference in pricing - and that was 16 or 17 years ago. My grocery bill was getting up to near our mortgage payment over this past winter - no kidding! And there is only three of us! We've cut back drastically on meat, maybe twice or thrice a week - I can't get over the prices, and I'm not willing to pay for them any more. The cost of dairy is a killer, too. We don't do many processed foods at all, either (I make most everything from scratch), but what we do use I buy in bulk at Costco, like Alee. My family is adjusting just fine to the cutbacks and changes, thankfully, and haven't said much about them. Luckily, I come from a long line of creative cooks. :) Thankfully, too, our garden is coming in strong, so I'm hoping to can and freeze as much as possible for the winter. If the cost of groceries goes up much more, I'll be a bit panicked, too. As most everyone in this country, we are tightly budgeted, with ALL of our expenses - including insurances, fuel, electricity, everything - continually rising. I am not sure where we can really cut back anymore at this point, but I'll figure it out.

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  3:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Same here Nini! I was just looking at my garden today and was trying to think how many rows of corn, and other plants I can get in. For the past two years I have been saying I was going to enlarge my little plot and this is the year to do it. I am going to dig from the house all the way back to the detached garage. It's about 8 feet wide and will be about 40-50 feet long. I am going to try to plant as much as possible. I already told my husband that I am droppig AT LEAST $100 on nursery plants since my seedling died (thanks to him) but he agrees that even that much investment should more than pay for itself.

I also just got done cutting some veggies for a vegetable tray for Nora's preschool and I am going to start a veggie freezer back to make veggie stock from. I have always thought it was a good idea but we are going to have to start getting serious about some of these food saving techniques!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  11:02:27 PM  Show Profile
There have already been stories and research that there will be hyper inflation with EVERYTHING in the future, food included, because of the RISING COST OF GAS, which trucks everything in.

SO: BUY LOCAL, support hybrid cars and other modes of transport, or GROW IT YOURSELF!!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

N
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Food Prices!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly