Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Field Trip to a Gristmill - COOL!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Field Trip to a Gristmill - COOL! Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  08:55:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, girls! Part of my summer goal is going to be teaching my son about the importance of healthy, fresh, local-grown, organic, in-season products, where they come from, and who grows and processes them. I want him to develop a connection to the land and cultivate in him a greater appreciation for our state's history of agriculture and the farmers who make it great - and us healthy! I've been doing a little research and found some unexpectedly surprising places to visit and tours we can take - I'm excited to share this first one with all of you!

Yesterday, after much "hemming and hawing" from my dear boy, we set out to visit Saint Vincent Gristmill at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. It's a very small place, neat little museum and gift shop. The college hs some really neat little places to visit, including a nature trail; but my heart was inspired by MJF to seek out the gristmill in particular. I have to tell you, it's a wonderful place. Saint Vincent's was set up to be a self-sustaining monastery, seminary and college. Instead of me paraphrasing, you can learn a little more by checking out this page: http://www.saintvincentgristmill.com/museum/videoclips.html Until yesterday, I had absolutely no understanding of the history behind this wonderful institution, let alone that they had a gristmill and ground their own locally-grown flour! Oh! What we have been missing all this time!

Unfortunately, the monks only grind on Fridays, so we did miss that - but we'll be going back. The "tour" video was only about 8 minutes long, but man-oh-man did I learn some really interesting things about flour, how it's made, and the intricacies of a gristmill! I was really amazed by the whole process. I could go on and on, but I thought you might be interested in seeing clips from the museum's videos yourselves: http://www.saintvincentgristmill.com/museum/videoclips2.html. If you click on the "events" link at the left top of the page, you can even see the 2009 blessing of the harvest! SO neat!

Much to my heart's delight, after all the hesitation and resistance he put up, my son said he thought that it was a really neat place and wants to take Dad next time. Personally, I was just so excited to find local milled flour! I picked up a 10# bag each of unbleached white and whole wheat, along with the monks' recipe book, and a loaf of St. Benedict's bread (which, I must say, is deeee-licious), and some of Saint Vincent's special blend of Black and Gold coffee beans (I couldn't resist, and I had to bring SOMETHING back for my husband, after all)! They had a bag of St. Vincent's bread mix, too, but I figured I'd just make our own - maybe next time! The lady cautioned that the bread is homemade by the monks with no preservatives, unlike grocery store bread, so I might want to freeze whatever we don't consume right away. My son giggled and said, "No, we know. My mom makes all our bread!" The lady was stunned. She didn't know anyone who makes their own bread - how about that!?

Next stop: A local berry farm - originally a local dairy farm - which has been in existence since the French and Indian War! After that, a local, three-generation, family-run farm that has a native plant nursery (how cool is that?), a natural bread bakery, organic, grass-fed "happy" beef grazing in the fields (among other farm animals), and "acres of hay and grain, grown with sustainable methods" - I'm so excited!

What a great, healthy summer of discovery this is going to be! My son may resist, but the call of local history (our family passion) and something good to eat at the end of the journey may help coax him - and his buddies - along! In time, I'm sure he'll be looking forward to these weekly excursions just as much as I am! ;) I simply can't WAIT for next week's trip!

Hugs to all from your Farmgirl Sister at Heart - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on May 26 2011 09:32:20 AM

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  09:38:21 AM  Show Profile
Wish I could have gone. I love those kinds of places too. Isn't it amazing what is less than a days drive from us? I commend you for doing this with your son.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  1:12:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Connie! I wish you could've been there, too! I know you would've enjoyed it! I actually emailed our friends locally, and now I've got three families going to check it out - how cool is that? One of the girls' daughters actually attended St. Vincent's, and she had never known the gristmill was even there! SO important to get the word out, isn't it? You're so right: it really does make me wonder about all the other hidden treasures in our area... but I'm on the hunt, and definitely planning to share! 'Hope this helps inspire others to do the same! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Field Trip to a Gristmill - COOL! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page