Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  8:39:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies!! I am wanting to make my own laundry soap. I am wanting to know how to make it , and does it get the clothes clean? Also wondering if I can make fabric softener too?

Come and see what is happening at Kentucky's Yesterday's Farm! http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  9:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Laura!

I like to make the powdered laundry soap and I use a really simple technique- Equal parts of a _laundry soap_ (such as Zote, Fels Namptha, or special homemade laundry soap), Borax, Baking Soda, and Washing Soda. Then use a couple tablespoons in each load. It works really well and is very economical.

For fabric softener I use vinegar in my Downy Ball- just fill it up to the line. It works great and the vinegar smell fades while the clothes are drying. It helps rinse the clothes clean and sanitizes the laundry. I love how fluffy it makes my natural fiber clothes like cottons. :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  1:09:08 PM  Show Profile
My no need to measure recipe is:

One box (55 oz) washing soda
one box (78 oz) borax
2 lbs of baking soda
24 ounces of finely grated soap (I use Fels Naptha)

I use about 1-2 tablespoons in my HE washer.

I store it in a large glass canister in my laundry area. I use a coffee scoop - which is two tablespoons - to put it into the detergent dispenser of my washing machine.

I use scented vinegar in my fabric softener dispenser.

Once you try this, you will not go back to the heavy perfumed commercial detergents. In an attempt to use up some old detergent that I found in my cabinet I washed a load with it. I almost threw up from the heavy smell.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  1:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Susan- I definitly agree! The commercial laundry soap is so over powering! Even my "convienence is everything" husband likes the homemade laundry soap! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  2:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Love the idea of putting the vinegar I use in a Downy ball! Presently, when I put the vinegar in the fabric softener 'dispenser' on the machine - it immediately spills right into the washing machine full of clothes.....which makes me feel like I'm not really getting the full benefit of the vinegar as it's not being used for the final rinse. And THAT'S what I want to use it for in the first place! Sooooo, the Downy ball is a wonderful idea. And scenting the vinegar with essential oil is also a nice idea if you want it to smell 'purty' even though I know my vinegar never leaves any odor.

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  3:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Hey Laura, if you search for "Laundry Detergent" or "Laundry Softener" you'll find TONS of helpful threads!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  06:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Thank You ladies!! Everyone of you has been very helpful!! Now I am going to put these recipes to use , and find one that I like. :) I use a wringer washer; that I love very much because it gets the clothes a lot more cleaner.

Come and see what is happening at Kentucky's Yesterday's Farm! http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Homemade Laundry Soap Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page