paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  12:20:27 PM  Show Profile
for the life of me I can't find the thread where all the vinegar discussion was. Making scented vinegar for laundry uses. Well anyways, I mention I would try lemon verbena, I use my dried verbena, let it set a couple of days. Strained it..i can hardly smell vingear, but sometimes because of allergies I don't smell stuff unless it's really strong. Haven't used it in laundry yet...making more, cause I have lots of verbena now.. Next attempt....scented geraniums....

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  1:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for letting us know. I've only used grapefruit peels and my second batch was basil. I think the key is really packing the peel/leaves into the jar. That way you get a lot of fragrance. So glad this worked for you.
Go to Top of Page

caseyscottage
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Stephanie
Independence MO
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  1:47:50 PM  Show Profile
oooh I'm going to try this! The scented geranium vinegar sounds lovely.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  08:38:56 AM  Show Profile
OK...I've totally missed out on this. White vinegar? How much for a load of wash? at final rinse? I am really interested. Thank you for any info.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  1:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Claudia - Yes, white vinegar. I use it to make my household cleaners and for fabric softening. I just pour some into my softener dispenser in my washing machine. I think several ladies have mentioned that they don't have built-in fabric softener dispensers so they use the Downy ball.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  02:46:31 AM  Show Profile
I wish I had some verbena. I'm going to try mint/basil vinegar soon! I also save all my lemons for the vinegar. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  07:01:38 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I never thought of doing that, I love it! As for me, I just pour the vinegar right in because I don't even have a downy ball. I love the smell of fresh cut grass and then I go over to my clothesline and smell the fresh scent of air drying clothes. YUM! Then I go back to mowing lawn after my little mini-cation :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic lemon verbena vinegar Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page