emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  5:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Expanding on the thread from junk gypsy style. . .

I had expressed my concern that at age 53 and carrying around the "menopause middle" (i.e. overweight), that I might be unable to carry off that junk gypsy style (found at http://www.gypsyville.com/).
After looking at the website pics, I found myself saying, "that's me!".

My question to all you beautiful ladies (I just know you are!), do you consider yourself as having an individual style? If so, how did you come about it? Do you feel it expresses you as a person? And how do you have and/or develop the confidence (which I lack) to wear it?

I look forward to reading your comments!
Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"

thehatlady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Lola
Doniphan Missouri
USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  6:02:27 PM  Show Profile
When I was a bit younger I use to wear the priarie dresses all the time, my mother use to tell me I was eccentric, but they were comfortable. I still have afew of them but they are too big now.

What I wear now is a red top and a denim skirt or denim jumper with an apron. In cooler weather I have a couple of aprons that wrap all the way around me and tye in the front.

The reason for the red is 1st: I like it. 2nd: I strarted wearing it when I worked as a lead person, as more of an athority statement(not that I was) but it made me feel good. 3rd: in working with an Alzhiemer patient she liked that color better than any of the others I wore. Needless to say I have several red shirts.LOL

I do dress a lot nicer when I go to town on Saturday, but then a lot of that wardrobe is red also. Can you tell I LIKE RED!!

Have a good evening!! Lola

Every day, in every way, I become better and better.
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  8:23:39 PM  Show Profile
Red! Bold! Good for you! So, letting a color be your signature style. . . .hmmmm, , , ,I like that.

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  06:02:37 AM  Show Profile
I love a white t-shirt and a pair of jeans. The only thing that really changes on me is my aprons! I have plenty of clothes but just find I feel the most comfortable, the most "me", in my white t-shirts and jeans!

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  08:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
my style is a combination of vintage/classic and hippie/punk...i know it sounds odd, but it works for me. i love contrast. one of my favorite outfits is a funky vintage top with a classic vest over ripped jeans with either chunky heels or boots. i also love classic pieces that have be artfuly tattered. I guess its kind of a Vivianne Westwood type look.

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com

Edited by - BarefootGoatGirl on May 21 2011 08:42:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  09:20:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to picture these styles in my head, but how 'bout sending actual pictures?! Jeans and white tee shirt then adding an apron? How cool! (Yes,,,,I still say "cool".) Vintage/classic and hippie/punk---I think I have that vision in my head but would love to see pics!!!

Keep your "farmgirl vogue" replies coming! All your ideas may help me develop my OWN style after all!

Thanks and hugs,
Darlene

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  05:58:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey Darlene!

I love t-shirts and peasant skirts in bright colors for work - easy to care for. Weekends are jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts depending on which "dirty job" we're working on. My BF restores antique farm equipment, so I'm usually covered in grease!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  07:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
darlene,
i looked for some pics of me, but unfortunately there really arn't any. usually, i am the one taking pics. if i have a little time i'll make you up a moodboad of my style...it sounds like a fun project.

Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  09:10:45 AM  Show Profile
I see a definite theme here--Jeans and T-shirts! I agree. . .they can't be beat, whether doing restorations or just relaxing---definite wardrobe staples.

I like the picture project idea. Wouldn't it be fun to see how all the farmgirls developed/evolved their individual styles? I may even do that myself and keep you all updated on how (and if) I develop my own!

Thanks for the responses!
Darlene

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  10:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message

These 3 outfits were made with garments very similar to ones that I own and are styled in the way I wear them.

Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  6:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

By looking at your "style", I would say you are fun-lovin', self-assured, like to be on-the-go, artistic. . . . How close am I?

That is what I'm looking for. . .my own "this is who I am, take it or leave it" style!

Thank you for the pictures!

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  07:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
you've got me pretty well pegged, darlen! i'm know as the quirky art girl and just about everybody who's around for more than a day or two knows me. if you are looking for your own style, start by looking at your favorite garments and asking youself why those are you favorites. there is a brief article about this first step on my blog (http://barefootfashion.wordpress.com/2011/04/12/personal-style/) i really need to write a follow up to it. good luck, let me know how its going. i would love to see how your style developes.

Edited by - BarefootGoatGirl on May 25 2011 07:40:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  07:47:54 AM  Show Profile
Cuteness, Corrine! Pure cuteness!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  08:04:11 AM  Show Profile
I've been tossing this around in my noggin for a few days...and finally, I think I've got a "style" narrowed down. Can I have dual style? In my work day, I'm classically attired--think Katherine Hepburn (except I'm a lot more curvy!). Wide leg trousers, pin striped pants, crisp, collared shirts with pearls or solid sweater sets that are more chic than motherly. Simple jewelry (usually the same pieces each day because I'm utterly finite in my choices. Quality, but nothing too showy) and classic, tailored heeled shoes. It seems to serve me well in my position, and I spend the day comfortably without looking like I've rolled out of bed in my sweatpants.

When I come home, though, it's like I've just gotten done working at the stable. Dansko clogs, jeans that come down over the back of my heels, and long sleeve cotton shirts and sweaters, sleeveless collared shirts in the summer.

I think both styles (so to speak) are clean and comfortable to me--whether the streamlined office wear, or my hanging out, evening/weekend wear.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltingma
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

sandy
Hebron Indiana
USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  5:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltingma a Yahoo! Message
I like to wear mid length skirts with tee shirts. I have a hippie/country style. Comes with my age. Of course I do have my jeans and tees that I wear on cool days.

Sandy

Living the country life!
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  09:48:29 AM  Show Profile
Comfort is a definite common theme too and that I can identify with. Until recently, I too worked in a business (office) environment. I combined comfort (quality knit tops and pants) but by reading your responses I think all I needed to do was add some funky, unique jewelry to make it "me".

Sanita clogs (nearly same as Danskos) were a definite! And Jonni. . .those clogs with the long jeans. . .yes!!!

You wonderful farmgirls are helping me get there! I think I need another pair of jeans (long, of course) and I went thrift store shopping yesterday and bought a tee shirt (CJ Banks---bright green!) for $1.49. I'm checking my stash for some funky, farmgirl jewelry. . . .I might be on to something here.

And while planting flowers yesterday in the evening sun, I decided I needed a MJ hat, too!

Keep the wonderful ideas coming. Blessings to you all. . .
Darlene

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  5:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
jonni, i think everybody has dual styles. today i am just not feeling great and don't want to deal with the world, so i am wearing cut off jeans with my favorite kurta and flip-flops.

darlene, the thift is also a great place to buy fun and funky jewelry. most of my jewelry comes from yardsales adn thirft shops...it suits me!

Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  5:41:05 PM  Show Profile
I just love the vintage clothes ... but in my opinion ( just mine ) you should wear what you are comfortable in. If you are happy that is really all that should matter.
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  2:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
tammy, wearing what you are comfortable in is the first rule of having a personal style. that's why i tell people to start by looking at their favortie garments. if you don't feel comfortable in what you are wearing it comes across in a negative way. the idea of having a personal style vs following trends is being yourself!

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  8:17:10 PM  Show Profile
I love corrine's clothes, but it looks like too much work for my lifestyle to assemble those kinds of outfits. I've got two little kids and a baby under 1, and like 30 minutes out of town, so I'm not really impressing anyone but myself or my hubby when I dress. Also, in Arizona, loose and airy is key. You'll sweat to death in full length jeans.
I'm also a plus size gal, and flattering is a must (because if it's not, I'm sure its uncomfortable for everyone around me!!)

In cool weather I love tunic tops, big sweaters and skinny jeans (flares were SO 10 years ago)with boots in wet weather, and sandals in "other." Along with lounge pants and yoga pants with funky print tops and geeky t-shirts.
In hot, I wear a huge assortment of dresses and skirts, all colors and prints and styles with sandals or heeled mary janes I have. I have a pair of ballet flats, but they're just too tight and give me blisters.

In the last heat wave, I went on a wild tear. I have long legs, so I have a lot of old lounge pants with pockets I bought that were comfy, but an inch or two shorter than I like. I cut the legs off at the knee and left all the edges raw on 3 pairs of pants and I love the ragged carefree look with my tees and flip flops. I left behind short shorts in teenybopper land, so its bermudas and capris for me.

My style resolution is to infuse more of my old victorian look, and get me a nice apron with pockets to wear at home. OOH! I should design a victorian apron! Pure win. I still pull off the occasional punk flair, but again, that's old hat to me now, unless I'm dressing to go to a metal concert, then I'm all out with doc martens and studs. I'm 28 so it's not like I'm embarrassing my children too much yet.

My best colors are black (YES!) and purples with the occasional blues and rare greens. It's a deeply held (bordering on religious) belief that no woman over size 12 should wear all white on any occasion other than her wedding day. Red and I are not friendly, and orange and yellow and I are not on speaking terms.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  11:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
WOW!! Girls....I am new here...and absolutely am intrigued by your ideas etc...love the vintage/classic hippie comfey funky jewelry n of course an apron as needed...BUT..I too am "searching"trying to find me..hmm sometimes in the journey..we lose touch of what really makes us..us! Once upon a time, I had my favorite..chotchkes..and was kind of a rebel..lol..gosh I miss the girl I used to be...after reading all your comments...I think I am ready to find that girl again...even tho...I am somewhat older now...Thanks so much girls! Shirl

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  12:23:38 AM  Show Profile
This is GREAT! I LOVE my long tiered skirt and last summer I found two layered(built in slip)white skirt with lace at Target..I love the fact that it is still light weight and wear it only as a petticoat under my other skirts(my brown one I don't wear except in the fall because of the fabric.I want more tiered skirts...I'm plus sized and with my petticoat I actually feel pretty in the one I have! I also love my T-shirts and sweatshirts when it's cold enough for them.When I was thinner(many years ago) I was all about white T's and jeans...I love red and pink right now and have many of my shirts in those two colors! For lack of jeans I've been wearing knit(horrors...but,comfortable...lol!) pants.My younger daughters though talked me into a pair of jeggings...they are actually denim and really comfortable(I want another pair...lol!) and a couple pair of leggings...they really are comfortable and I have some longer shirts to wear with them...nice when I go somewhere and I can't forget my capris. At home I tend to wear sweatpants when it's cold and shorts(if only family is around) It's neat to see how simular our farmgirl styles are no matter where we live!

Edited by - cj6 on Jun 08 2011 12:24:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  7:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm I had to scratch my head & think on this one! I live in jeans tho I have several pretty long skirts-I mainly wear walking shoes & feel the skirts would go better with boots or dressy shoes. A lot of my wardrobe is velvet blouses,tie dye,denim,and yet I love gypsy skirts,some farm/cowgirl fashion,and I like flapper fashion,of all things! In the hot weather I'm sportin my farmgirl summer hat & modest tank tops in bright cheery colors. Usually wearing a carnelian bracelet,I love semi precious stones-quartz is always worn when I'm out & about,with a piece of Goddess jewelry. (usually a pendant)

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.gigulele-bag.net (Zibbet Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,dulcimer playin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  6:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
I'm all about comfort! My preference during the winter is mid calf jumpers (lined bodice with attached skirt that buttons down the back. I love buttons and usually pick my fabric around them. In the summer a light weight version of the jumper and mid calf a-line dresses. My favorite apron pattern is also mid length pulls over the head and is very similar to a dress except the back could be a bit drafty. I am never without a straw hat from spring to fall. I love pins. Any kind of pin.

I have participated in living histories for many years (that's where I developed my kitchen skills) and am very fond of pinner aprons. When you dress for living history events, it becomes a way of life and you don't even notice people looking at you.

And on the upside, when I dress like a woman (in a dress, regardless of the era) I find the men treat me like woman instead of one of the guys. Call me old fashioned, but I like that.

Work is love made visable... Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  07:45:06 AM  Show Profile
In reading some of these responses about how we "used" to look, I went back a bit...when I was a ballerina, tiny, pale with long hair to my waist, I was into to that cool Victorian dead girl look (I think they call Goth or Steampunk now...); WOW was that a lot of effort! Vintage Gunne Sax dresses, poets blouses, riding boots. Like a vampire, I guess.

When I finally stopped dancing and allowed myself to eat like a person, though still tiny, I started wearing clogs because I couldn't wear many shoes due to horrible feet from point shoes, and I think my laid back style evolved from there. Sometimes I wore my doeskin cowboy boots with boot cut jeans from Banana Republic because I loved the "length" I got from that look. In retrospect, it was like a backlash to performance and stage costuming and makeup.

After wearing pancake base constantly and false eyelashes for weeks on end for performances, my makeup routine got paired WAY down--a good powder foundation to cover some of those freckles, mascara, a bit of eyeliner--can't take more than 5 minutes to do, so that dictates some of my fashion, too. I'm not a "color" girl, I guess. I like soft colors, I like black, grey, browns and greens. It's only been in the last few years I've actually injected my wardrobe with things that are on the color wheel!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  08:44:41 AM  Show Profile
I think the key is proper fit. What ever your style it needs to fit to feel good and look good in it. I do easy alterations myself but if it is complicated I take it to a lady in town that is reasonably priced. If I am not willing to pay for alterations on top of the cost of the item I don't buy it.
On the other hand I wear my overalls a size to big! Love that breeze! It also makes them easier to kneel down in. If I am on the fields I am usually in overalls,a sleeveless white tank (summer) thermal underwear top (winter) and straw sun hat if needed. Crocks, boots or muck boots depending on the weather. Non professional days not working the farm are cotton skirts and t shirts or jeans and a white T or a collared cotton shirt. Sandals, tennis shoes or cowboy boots depending on my mood. Work type clothes are classic professional wear fairly tailored with a colorful scarf or ethnic jewelry collected on my travels. I don't think I have a single style? My SIL will say "that looks like you" about something she sees but I don't know if that is a style.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Individual Style Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page